Ictfc V St Mirren Top League 29/3/14

shull

Skip the 8 , let's just make it 7 wins in a row for us.

Caley 0 SMFC 1

Crowd - 3087

I admire your optimism but we are a shambles individually and collectively. Danny has run out of ideas and players are not rolling up the sleeves and showing the fight a team in trouble should be demonstrating. Our team has been lacking for a number of years and for whatever reason has not been addressed. The bottom line is that we have a team with some talent and it would appear the senior/more experienced players are either knackered or simply not performing well. The younger players look to the senior pros when its not going well. They are getting nothing at this time. Frankly we have a manager who knows his time is up managing a mediocre bunch of players nowhere near as good as some believe. Blame can be laid at the manager's door for the shocking dealings in the transfer market but some players need to have a serious look at themselves in the mirror and ask if they are fighting for the cause? Good players rise when the going gets tough and sadly there is a serious lack of any evidence of this for a long time.

I may back Saints to lose this.

So far, my bets, my positive thoughts, have proved inadequate.

I backed 16 teams to win in the last week or two.

Wee money, but fun. I'm doing ok. :)

Guess which team out of the 16 teams failed me TWICE?

I know, I know.... I should know better, though....

I WILL bet against them.

I can't. :(

In truth, I still believe DL will lead a Saints out of this sad patch.

I think knickers are far too twisted on here.

The long view is more restful. And realistic...

... which is how people who claim to be Saints supporters should view this situation.

This - St Mirren - is NEVER going to be a team that buys its way out of trouble - thus trouble will be a constant fellow-traveller.

Get used to it. :)

Edited by bluto

... which is how people who claim to be Saints supporters should view this situation.

This - St Mirren - is NEVER going to be a team that buys its way out of trouble - thus trouble will be a constant fellow-traveller.

Get used to it. smile.png

Hear, Hear, Rodders ! whistling.gif

In a 12 team top division I expect us to be at the bottom end more often than not and to suffer the odd relegation but I think that expecting Danny Lennon to turn the current situation round is beyond the bounds of optimism.

I hope we can go up north and win this weekend but I'm not gonna be chastised just because I say it's unlikely.

If we go down so be it.........................

The team needs a severe change after last night, how magennis got 90 minutes is beyond me, Kelly was horrendous, McLean was far to keen to play the World Cup pass and Gowser was posted missing for large parts, and I've always backed cheesy against some of the ott criticism he gets on here but last night was up there with one of the worst centre half performances I've seen in many years.

Wasn't just cheesy who had no ability to pass the ball but he kept giving it away in very stupid positions. A good few changes needed for Saturday, I would suggest we need a win in our next 2 games to keep thistle in sight as they have hearts at home before the split.

Saturday team I would go with would be

Kello ( if fit)

Naismith

Mcgregor

Goodwin

Kelly ( only left back we have)

Mcginn

McLean

Wylde

Campbell

Gowser

Thommo

Inverness are a pretty direct team with some big guys, hopefully the width we could play with could hurt them, but I expect Danny to stick with the lump of wood magennis and newton as they seem to be indispensable

I'll be on the golf course then going for a bite to eat with Mrs Poz. As for the footie? We'll maybe sneak a 0-0. Maybe.

I'll be at a wedding....maybe.

The bride to be is a friend of my missus. We aren't talking about a young couple here - they are in their 60s. Anyway, the groom to be had his 'stag' on Saturday. He proceeded to fall over and fracture his skull. Oops! Just out of hospital, I believe.

So....the wedding is in the balance, but whatever happens, I won't be up in Sneck.

Oh, and as for the football?

Meh....

Edited by Drew

Might be worth trying out a back three again, giving the fullbacks a rest and packing the midfield with Teale and Wylde on the wings and Campbell supporting Thommo, play on the counter.

I always thought the idea of a back three was suicidal for us, but playing with a back four has been just as bad this season...I really don't know what our best set-up/team is any more.

I'm sure Faraway will be along shortly to tell me to leave the tactics and team to the manager though... wink.png

Fully agree with the sentiments here. For a club like ours to be really successful or even safe by the split every year requires a combination of a talented and committed team, a reasonable manager, a supportive board and a loyal following of supporters. Since my first match we have very rarely,if at all, had all of these at the same time which has resulted in the occasional success and the more frequent battles with relegation. Unfortunately St Mirren probably found their level the day they were founded in a town so close to Glasgow - we will need to live with that for ever.

You are right 'the long view', of Saints fans needs to be realistic. Maybe this should have been obvious to me after that first match on November 3rd 1962 just having witnessed us go down 0-7 to Celtic at home in the pouring rain, only 9 years old and wanting to cry for most of the match. Maybe I thought that things could only get better and sometimes they did but mostly it has been a struggle with even more 7 goal hidings along the way - anyway I am glad I stuck with the Buds and will continue to do so through this sticky patch and no doubt others in the future. True Saints fans will understand this and will not be talking of not going back, refusing to buy season tickets, etc, etc - my response is 'stay away' and let the ones who want (or even need!) to support our club get on with it in peace.

Before anyone shoots me down I am all for reasonable dialogue but some of the comments on this site are nothing short of shameful and the product of being able to express these thoughts from hiding behind a keyboard. I wonder how many who are shouting for Danny, the Board, players to resign or leave would do it to their faces - precious few I think.

COYS

I don't normally miss many games but I can't be bothered going to Inverness to watch another apalling performance from a bunch of 'professionals' who know they will not be here next season whichever division we end up in. Totally a scunnered with the lack of any fight or passion shown from the board, management or players.

Decorating the flat this w.end so not even going to bother checking the result till after dinner, scunnered and losing interest rapidly with it.

I predict we'll play 11 players and get beaten easily by 2 or 3 goals then shull will be on to start a new match day thread saying we'll win our next game and Danny the legend must stay, the relegation train keeps on going full steam ahead, choo choo!!

In Inverness on Saturday. Pre-arranged stop over to take in the game on the way south.

After Tuesday's result lost a bit of appetite for the game but will be going to cheer the Saints on all the same.

Let's hope for a much improved performance and a positive result. Need a confidence boost going into the post split games.

Expect Goodwin to be back in, hope Kello is fit & would like to see more of Campbell (especially if Magennis is as bad as everybody says he is).

Going to give the boys my full backing - COYS.

Having been to a few of the 7 goal thrashings dished out by Celtic, I agree its something you have to get used to as a Saints fan, as are the bad times. This is one of those bad times which has lasted for a couple of years now (League Cup win a brief interlude)and seems set to continue.

I have been one of those asking for Lennons removal for a couple of years now, and have ruefully had to accept that he is staying to see the job through. What I certainly do not accept, however, is the suggestion that I would be too scared to say this to either the board or Lennon himself. Its they who should be embarrassed and ashamed to face the fans who are paying (far too much incidentally) their wages.

The one ray of light is Yogi Hughes has the footballing nous of a caterpillar.

Ideally Kelly and Naismith will be encouraged to be brave and get forward as ICT rarely play with any width. Hopefully we get everyone to press ICT all over the pitch and try and win possession. Thompson and McGowan if playing up front together need to drop back when not in possession and keep us compact and stop passes into Tansey and Draper who start a lot of moves. They'll probably go with a 4-3-2-1 formation with McKay up front on his own and Watkins, Vincent and Williams behind.

The common problem for ICT seems to be players out of position, too many central midfielders and no pace....now where have I heard that before?

Time for the players to get the f*cking gloves off and fight like hell for themselves, each other, the club and last but not least the fans.