New Contract For Lennon - Got To Be 2 Years

When Danny sits down to have his talk with the Bod (or new bod) he'll be in a reasonably confident mood when he pushes forward

the sheet of paper that highlights a national trophy won, and highest league Finnish for 25 years......

It won,t and doesn't actually matter that there were poor results/ performances along the way this season. It,s not where you start it's where you Finnish! And what can,t talk, can,t lie!

On the original post, I agree if it's to be renewal it should be 2 seasons.

On a related note , is it possible to get a system where DL gets some sort of proper assistance with signings? He gets a lot of the job right but his signing policy is an apparent weakness, Grainger aside when did we last sign a defender.

The ability to get results under pressure does DL great credit.

Personally I'm still of the opinion that it's time for a change. Lennon has been a great servant, and like MacPherson, has to be considered a club legend. However, like MacPherson, I still think it's time to give someone else a shot.

The thought of "giving someone else a shot" quite frankly scares the shite out of me. I've asked this before and not had a decent answer yet, so I'll ask it again here; who do you think we could attract, given our current standing, our current budget and our current ownership uncertainty??? This is aimed at everybody still wanting Danny out, in case Norman thinks I'm having a pop at him because I quoted him.

As for it not having been a very good season, that has, and always will, apply to at least half of the teams in this league. If we had all been asked if we would be happy with 7th at the start of the season we'd all most probably have said no - we have top 6 ambitions. But what would we have said to an offer of 'guaranteed' 7th place - against the gamble of possibly being top 6 or possibly being bottom 2?

I keep reading about Danny's disastrous start to the season, and have to say I agree wholeheartedly that the Summer signings and early results (especially QOS) were abysmal. However, a season in our league lasts 38 games and it's where we finish at the end of that programme that matters. In our case, this season, if it does end up being 7th place, I'd suggest that DL has learned from his mistakes, has things running well right now, has brought a couple of good players in recently in Wylde & McGennis, has a good defensive base with Dilo, Naismith and Kelly only going to get better and better and has a degree of confidence showing on the park that we were not showing in league form last year - even when we had just won a major trophy.

So, all-in-all, I'd say we are in reasonable shape for looking forward to the next season. I personally hope that Danny gets a two-year deal to take us forward into that next phase.

Edited by BAWZ

I'm not following that, to be honest.

He's hardly going to say that it was a good season (it wasn't), but nor is he stating it was a disaster that would inevitably call for a change of manager. I think you're putting your own spin on this, Billy.

Come off it Drew , is SG saying he is happy or unhappy with the season as a whole ?

He was making similar statements about us under achieving just before Gus got the boot !

Come off it Drew , is SG saying he is happy or unhappy with the season as a whole ?

He was making similar statements about us under achieving just before Gus got the boot !

He is saying it has been disappointing, but are you suggesting that every club that has a disappointing season will bag their manager? It just doesn't happen, Billy.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but I think you are reading too much into SG's comment. Anyway, I thought you were pretty much operating on the basis that the new owners will be choosing their own man, so, by that reasoning, does it really matter what SG was getting at, if anything worthy of note at all?

Edited by Drew

The thought of "giving someone else a shot" quite frankly scares the shite out of me. I've asked this before and not had a decent answer yet, so I'll ask it again here; who do you think we could attract, given our current standing, our current budget and our current ownership uncertainty??? This is aimed at everybody still wanting Danny out, in case Norman thinks I'm having a pop at him because I quoted him.

And leaving Lennon in charge of a rebuilding job this summer frankly scares the shite out of me. As for who should replace him, how should we know? That's not our job and to be honest I never really understand the cries of "but who could do better" every time anyone questions Lennon.

There will be plenty of managers we could attract with our budget and standing and ownership uncertainty, but how would a fan have any idea who they are?

Like I said, I understand those who want Lennon to stay, and understand the reasons, but considering this has been a bad season, and he has had a nightmare in the transfer market, is it really that unreasonable to think someone else could do better?

Edited by norman

I'll bang my old drum on this. IF we knew what objectives the Board had set then we'd be able objectively to assess a manager's performance. We don't, so we can't. The summer transfer situation certainly felt chaotic (and I think transfers have generally been more miss than hit on balance) but how many of us on here actually have a clue what was happening behind the scenes? I suspect our finishing place will be the clincher, balanced against relatively poor cup form.

my opinion/judgement/decision/thinking is

Danny should get a new contract with us

its not like he has went downhill,he is learning AND teaching/coaching what looks like a very good bunch of youngsters( which is part of our life blood and future )

hope he stays

He is saying it has been disappointing, but are you suggesting that every club that has a disappointing season will bag their manager? It just doesn't happen, Billy.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but I think you are reading too much into SG's comment. Anyway, I thought you were pretty much operating on the basis that the new owners will be choosing their own man, so, by that reasoning, does it really matter what SG was getting at, if anything worthy of note at all?

If everything was rosy , then surely SG wouldn't have alluded to the "disappointment" ? He would just have said that it's great to be looking at a 7th placed finish.

If everything was rosy , then surely SG wouldn't have alluded to the "disappointment" ? He would just have said that it's great to be looking at a 7th placed finish.

No-one is suggesting that everything is rosy, but you are at risk of putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5.

I'm relaxed about it, now, and this is certainly a turnaround from the way I have felt at pionts throughout the season. Who is to say that the BoD won't feel much the same, but will be looking for better from Danny next season?

To be fair Drew it is two disappointing seasons in a row.

I appreciate people saying that appointing a new manager a risk. However, keeping Danny is a risk too.

Who's to say he won't make a similar mess in the transfer market this summer as he did last summer? If we have no wins in our opening six games and Danny's summer signings are failing by the end of August again, we're going to regret giving him a 2 year deal pretty quickly.

People also say ' we could finish 7th '. Well yeah, but we could finish 10th too.

For me progress this season was either making a concerted challenge for the top 6, which we failed in. Or more cup success, which we failed in. Granted we have survived, but survival alone wasn't enough this year.

Look at St Johnstone, their manager is in his first ever season and they lost key players in the summer. We have a similar budget. They've finished top 6, reached one semi final and one final. There's absolutely no reason why we couldn't have had a similar season, I don't think their squad is any stronger than ours.

my opinion/judgement/decision/thinking is

Danny should get a new contract with us

its not like he has went downhill,he is learning AND teaching/coaching what looks like a very good bunch of youngsters( which is part of our life blood and future )

hope he stays

There's no doubt the youngsters have saved our season as our signings were more miss than hit.

But there was a lot of money wasted for little return regarding this and the Board will take this into account

We will lose these promising players in the near future and need replacing and DL needs to get his signings right

On the original post, I agree if it's to be renewal it should be 2 seasons.

On a related note , is it possible to get a system where DL gets some sort of proper assistance with signings? He gets a lot of the job right but his signing policy is an apparent weakness, Grainger aside when did we last sign a defender.

The ability to get results under pressure does DL great credit.

Time to bring in a director of football? wink.png

I take on board the point made that its where we end up that counts. But the recent run of successful results doesn't necessarily reflect a sea change in our fortunes. The psychology of the threat of relegation can work wonders and with Saints it has but how much do we put that down to Danny's influence? In short we don't really know. I sit near the dug-out and reading the rapport between manager and prominent players suggest that not everything is hunky dory.

Should Danny win a new contract for next season things have to kick-off with immediate success bearing in mind the pressure he's gone through this season.

There's no doubt Danny made some huge mistakes during both transfer windows, in fact none of his signings expect the goalkeeper are first team regulars. I worry how we will replace the squad during the coming summer and I'm concerned Danny might struggle to get in the correct players. That being said perhaps he has learned a few valuable lessons. I'm happy to let the BOD decide whether to renew or not.

I'm glad Danny has turned it around but other than the wee decent run we are on just now this season has been very very poor considering the players he has had at his disposal, it's been a missed opportunity this season, I believe it's time for a change and hope we bring somebody new in.

Just to be clear, I haven't completed a 180 degree turn on this. I think Danny has just about earned another crack, but I won't be upset if he isn't offered a contract extension. Likewise, I'm now a bit more relaxed about the prospect of him staying.

The time to bag him this season was in the late autumn/early winter, or, at a push, after the Dundee United capitulation. For whatever reason, the BoD decided to stick with him, and it appears to have paid off.

I have noticed a few other changes in his approach and demenour, though. He is constantly out of his seat during matches, and seems to have developed a slightly harder edge in his press interviews (regarding the Goodwin witch-hunt etc.). I think he needs to toughen up a bit as a manager, and the pressure to which he has been subject this season will certainly have afforded him the opportunity to develop a thick skin.

I have respect for folk who can triumph in adversity, and over the past few weeks, Danny appears to have done just that. Will it be enough to earn him a new deal, and to give him the spur to take Saints up a level? Who knows, but I'm comparatively sanguine about it now, and glad it isn't my decision to take.

Edited by Drew

The thought of "giving someone else a shot" quite frankly scares the shite out of me. I've asked this before and not had a decent answer yet, so I'll ask it again here; who do you think we could attract, given our current standing, our current budget and our current ownership uncertainty???.

Add to this the fact that Lennon could well have delivered a national trophy and highest league finish in a generation in back to back seasons and still gets the boot? Which decent manager would want to walk into an environment as demanding as that?

Add to this the fact that Lennon could well have delivered a national trophy and highest league finish in a generation in back to back seasons and still gets the boot? Which decent manager would want to walk into an environment as demanding as that?

Decent shout, to be fair.

Given where we were the moment Motherwell took a 2-0 lead at our place, the recent turn around has been frankly magnificent. While Kilmarnock, Hibs and Ross County have visibly been shitting their pants, St Mirren and Danny Lennon have looked composed, in control, and the positives are there for all to see. Great goals, good tactics, solid substitutions, comfortable with 10 men against Hibs, and safe with two games to go. McLean is playing like a Rolls Royce of a player, Naismith and Kelly have picked up again, Newton is putting a shift in, and McGregor and Cheesy are calm about the whole situation it seems.

If telling the truth is a crime, then I'm guilty. I truthfully thought Danny and indeed the team were sleepwalking towards the playoff. I thought Danny had lost the situation, and we might just about survive a two-leg playoff by the skin of our teeth.

He has turned things around. The team have got stuck right into it.

At the very least, Danny Lennon has made me think maybe I was wrong about him, in regard to him being finished at St Mirren FC. If we finish strongly against Killie and Hearts, and behind the scenes, the squad are behind the manager and back him - then if the BoD give Danny a new deal I would be happy enough about that given the turn around from a desperate 0-2 situation against Motherwell.

To be fair Drew it is two disappointing seasons in a row.

David you are right. For the last two seasons we have seen some horrific football at times. That being said any diddly team would have bitten your hand off for the League Cup last year and this year any Hearts, Killie, Hibs, Ross County and Thistle fan would do likewise for the position we currently find ourselves in.

Sport is not, and has never has been, about the "journey". It's the "final destination" and, IF we finish 7th, Lennon's CV stacks up pretty well in that regard.

I still don't particularly like him as our manager by the way but I just think it would be churlish to ignore the positives when assessing if he should stay or go.

I would like danny lennon to get at least another year. its pleasing to see some decent results all be it at the end of the season but it also shows that when the chips are down the club came together from players , management and fans . danny has made mistakes , so have players . If we could start next season with this mentality then we could finally get into the top six , I think we owe danny one last chance at cracking this. lets see some decent signings in the summer . all in all it feels good to be a buddie the now . well done to all concerned

Edited by stevo123