New Contract For Lennon - Got To Be 2 Years

Similar playing budgets like i said then? Thanks for confirming that for me.

Why are they performing much better than we are? What are they doing that we're not?

I've not seen one person mention either of them as replacements.

Lest we forget, less than 6 weeks ago this sites twitter handle ran a poll amongst fans on whether Danny Lennon should be sacked immediately, or not. Over 80% of those who responded wanted him sacked that night, IIRC the webmaster of this site was on national media asking for him to go. For a bit of context, i was one of the 20% who voted for him to stay in that poll.

Since the end of January i've been fully behind Danny, as i do not believe post January sackings work, and my posts on here reflect that.

However, it does not detract from the fact that this is Danny's 4th season in charge, and our own captain is admitting we are underachieving. We should not be (again, i'll use our captains term) 'underachieving' when a manager is in his 4th season in charge. He's had enough time, underachievement isn't acceptable anymore, and we are self-confessed underachievers this term. How many more seasons of underachievement are we willing to give him? Another 4?

Time's up. Danny should leave with a healthy CV and he will get a job elsewhere. It's time for us to look to kick on and actually challenge for the top 6. Danny's had 4 seasons, and in that time not only has he failed to get us in the top half once, we haven't even been in contention for it once. He's proven he is incapable of managing us so we perform at a consistent level for a whole season. We have some good spells ( we're in one at the moment ), but we have long barren spells, and goodness me, there's been plenty of them.

So who replaces him ?

They have a lot bigger hospitality operation than we do, so I imagine that figure counts the non playing staff. I don't think I'm being facetious when I say teams like ICT and St Johnstone have similar playing budgets to us.

Both of them have finished top 6, both of them have made a major final. We have not made the top 6 and we have not even made a quarter final.

Lennon must go.

ICT and Terry Butcher were a perfect match. Lets see how they get on once Yogi has to rebuild this summer. Some fans already want him sacked.

The grass isn't always greener.

Edited by NeilPar72

So who replaces him ?

We will have numerous applicants.

If we want to go down the lower league route again (Danny, Tom Hendrie, Alex Ferguson) Ian Murray has worked wonders with part time Dumbarton. He's took them from rock bottom of the Championship 18 months ago, to 5th place this season and on the edge of the playoff and the quarter final of the Scottish Cup. A far more impressive managerial CV than Danny had when he was appointed.

If we want to go down the internal promotion route again (Coughlin, McPherson), guys like Thommo, Teale and even Longwell have sufficient credentials and know the club inside out.

My preferred route would be the experienced proven route. I'm sure Levein and Houston would be interested. Both have managed teams successfully at this level, Houston has a major honour to his name, Levein has experience at international level. A more outside the box line of thought would encompass guys like Alex McLeish, Owen Coyle and Billy Davies.

I think they'd all struggle to get a job back in England after their recent sackings, McLeish and Coyle in particular have been overlooked by several clubs down there since being out of work. I think they'd all welcome the chance of a couple of years with us to try rebuild their reputation with a view to another crack in England. It would certainly be worth asking them and sounding out their demands.

We are a debt free club with state of the training facilities and modern stadium, along with a youth system that is proven in developing fantastic talent and we are established in the top flight of Scottish football. Potential managers would be queuing up around the block if we had a vacancy, we are a very attractive proposition.

ICT and Terry Butcher were a perfect match. Lets see how they get on once Yogi has to rebuild this summer. Some fans already want him sacked.

The grass isn't always greener.

Why can't we get a manager who's the perfect match?

Why can't we get a manager who's the perfect match?

How do you define perfect match? Can it get much better than 8th, Major trophy and 7th (hopefully) on our budget. By all accounts a gentleman, who does nothing but talk up the club at every opportunity. Promotes youth at every opportunity. On paper Danny should be our perfect match. Yet a section of support will never take to the man, regardless.

I don't want Lennon replaced by an untried and untested manager at this level. That is not going to take us forward, and I really can't see the support willing to wait on another guy to find his feet at this level.

Sadly I can't see any of the more experienced possibilities mentioned such as Coyle seeing us as a viable option.

A few weeks ago I really thought Danny's days were numbered but I'm not so sure now. I believe the rumours about unrest in the dressing room and if there is any truth in them and it's not sorted out then something has to give. Stewart Gilmour should knock heads together and sort it out. The strong finish to the season has possibly done enough to get Danny a new contract and I think he deserves it. Getting rid of a manager is a lot easier than finding a new one who could do any better and I can't see one on the horizon. I'm not convinced Danny deserves all the blame for poor signings. We do seem to have missed out on some good players simply because we won't pay silly money and then Danny gets pressure to sign players because fans are clamouring for it. Who would want a football manager's job?

If we finish 8th or higher then he deserves a 2 year contract.

The recent form has been great, really great indeed.

But, and it is a but, the form over this season has been woeful. When purchasing my season ticket I was informed via the media that Danny Lennon's target was a top six place. The points difference between our wonderful club and St Johnstone is rather a large gap. If top six was a genuine target (and with the squad we have it should have been both a target and an expectation) then this season's league performance has been an abject failure. The small victory of avoiding relegation may have injected a small piece of the "feel good factor" into us as supporter's but when we look at the season as a whole I am afraid the football has been largely gash.

Again I wish Daniel Lennon every success, I like the man, I really do and I hope he goes on to have a very succesful career in whatever he does. As for my team though, well my team need a change, a new start, another throw of the dice. We will see many, many changes at our club over the summer as a large number of player's contract's are running out. Is this the time for a new broom to sweep clean?

Compared to a few weeks ago when it seemed a certainty we would finish second bottom, the current placing may seem great. This most certainly is not the case. After 4 years in charge Lennon has come nowhere near challenging for a top six place and the vast majority of his signings have been failures.Regardless of whether we finish 7th or not, and I dont think we will, he should not be offered a new contract.

How is it possible to change fans minds with a run of a few games withlout defeat, after such a dreadful season preceding this ?There are plenty of candidates out there who would jump at the chance of managing Saints, if only the board would take their blinkers off.

I think there needs to be a sense if realism as to what is realistic for a club our size and budget to determine whether top 6 is realistic or not. It would be good to know the club's medium to long term aims and how these are to be achieved.

I see others refer to our squad and how we should be achieving better success on the park. Personally, we have had defensive problems for years and a lack of firepower up front. Our goal difference demonstrates this. Our manager clearly has not addressed this but we are not privvy to what attempts he has made and what budget he has had to strengthen the team. We do know a lot of his signings have either not worked or are somewhat puzzling.

The club will decide Danny's fate based on whether they think he is taking the club forward or not. Perhaps retaining top flight football is the aim and therefore, he will get a new contract.

Compared to a few weeks ago when it seemed a certainty we would finish second bottom, the current placing may seem great. This most certainly is not the case. After 4 years in charge Lennon has come nowhere near challenging for a top six place and the vast majority of his signings have been failures.Regardless of whether we finish 7th or not, and I dont think we will, he should not be offered a new contract.

How is it possible to change fans minds with a run of a few games withlout defeat, after such a dreadful season preceding this ?There are plenty of candidates out there who would jump at the chance of managing Saints, if only the board would take their blinkers off.

Will you name these candidates? Are they any better than what we have at the moment?

I think what's upsetting is that we've only really done just enough. Hard to shake the feeling that we had our foot off the gas because Hearts were adrift, and after our good spell at the back end of 2013, we looked like we were going to be in no danger of the play off spot.

It's only been as danger crept up again that we've pulled our fingers out. It's that lack of consistency that really hurts. Ok, it's nice to know we'll always do enough to be safe, but we should have been well clear of County, Thistle, Killie and Hibs long before now.

I mean, where is that team that tore into Hibs at Easter Road? When we can play like that, yet also so badly... that's what hurts.

On balance, I think we've just about shown enough to give DL another chance, but I'd be interested to see what his/the club's transfer strategy is for this summer because there's going to be a lot of coming and going.

How is it possible to change fans minds with a run of a few games withlout defeat, after such a dreadful season preceding this ?

You have to look at the context of the recent run of form. The management team and the players have been under huge pressure but have managed to turn things round at the critical phase in the run-in. I would suggest that this is quite distinct from a standard mid-season run of a few good results.

No-one is trying to paper over the cracks of a dismal season, it has been hard going, but most reasonable supporters would surely acknowledge that the fact that there has been a significant improvement when it was absolutely required should be taken into account when considering the position of the manager. I am not suggesting that it will (or necesarily should) be enough to warrant a new contract for Danny, but it does put a different complexion on matters.

I echo the positive attributes made by many on here about Danny. If he does get a new contract then I'll give him and the team my full support. However, someone mentioned the 'knocking of heads'. I feel that this facing up to reality may have taken place in a private huddle amongst the players and not involving Danny. This is of course sheer speculation but it is my gut feeling about the matter after seeing, as I said before, the rapport between management and staff.

The BoD have had ample time to evaluate the situation and we would expect a swift decision by them as soon as the season ends. The prospect of a new owner has gone on far too long and if there is one in the wings surely the result of this season, one way or the other, should make up their minds.

Edited by Desperately Seeking Susans

I've no strong view either way re a new contract. He's kept us in the top league, has won us a national trophy but the last couple of transfer windows have been very poor and our lack of form has been alarming at times, particularly over the past couple of seasons.

However, I think we do need to be careful what we wish for, and there are two examples in the league -

Hibs fans hated Fenlon and couldn't wait to get shot of him, they brought in Butcher who has had a far worse record than Fenlon since they came in and could potentially end up in the play off.

Killie bagged Kenny Shiels on the pretence of not making the top six (although I think talking non stop bollocks was also a major factor!) and brought in shiny, new rising star Alan Johnston, who the fans now wnat shot of.

There are managers out there who, given their track record, you'd give good odds on them being a success (e.g. Coyle, Levein, Davies) but would they come, how much money would they want, how long would they stay? Others are likely to be more of a gamble.

Froggie....There are plenty of candidates out there who would jump at the chance of managing Saints, if only the board would take their blinkers off.

Of course there are. But are they any better than what we've got.

If their not in a job, ask yourself why and I not talking about the one's that have managed any big clubs, we simply couldn't afford them.

Edited by pod

Froggie....There are plenty of candidates out there who would jump at the chance of managing Saints, if only the board would take their blinkers off.

Of course there are. But are they any better than what we've got.

If their not in a job, ask yourself why and I not talking about the one's that have managed any big clubs, we simply couldn't afford them.

If the board do decide to move on with a new maanger, it would have to be from the lower divisions, and I think they could do worse than Ian Murray at Dumbarton, he seems to have worked wonders with limited resources in the past two seasons, and eahc time I've heard him on the radio, he's erudite and talks a lot of sense, gives an impression he knows what he's talking about.