St Mirren's New Manager Is Tommy Craig

While this isn't an 'impact' appointment, I'd argue we don't need one at this stage. You only need impact if you're Sunderland in December - bottom of the league and staring down the barrel, praying for a miracle.

We need continuity, a guy with good contacts for signings, the respect of the squad, confidence in youth, the ability to bring in decent loans here and there, and who plays attractive football.

I'm not saying TC is all of those, but he certainly ticks a few.

Conflict of interest?

Surely both roles want the same thing, a winning team on the park?

It's like the shop steward becoming the manager no? The captain's meant to represent the players interest to the management and coaching staff.

Alas it's a minor detail, if Thommo does get the armband then fair enough.

It's certainly a change, which a lot of people seemed to be clamouring for. Don't think it's any worse than some of the names, that we could realistically afford, which were being mentioned. At least it's sorted and we can get on with signing/re-signing players

Edited by FTOF

Not in the least surprised by this appointment.As stated numerous times, I have no faith in this current board of directors who prevaricated over getting rid of Lennon and his predecessor by a couple of years each time.

Tommy Craigs age should not be held against him however, that is patently unfair.I believe the South American who won the English league is similarly senior.

I shall, as ever, continue to pick and choose my games and pay at the gate , ever hopeful that it wont be a sell-out despite being all ticket.(had to get that complaint in there)

Good luck to the new man in charge, he does not have a hard act to follow.

Bizzare.

Goodwin and Teale are coaches then? Why does it say they will be 'assisting him' if coaches tend to have next to no authority with the managerial team? Have Goodwin/Teale signed new contracts or are they only coaches until the end of the month? How long is Tommy's contract?

This is making very little sense.

This strikes me as the easiest managerial team to replace should the club be sold. Their remit is to continue doing exactly what Danny was doing, but without Danny (and his wage). Doesn't quite align with the ambition that many of Danny's detractors hoped for.

All just very very strange.

Basic remit- sign the out of contract players sharpish- If he cannot do that then i struggle to see why this decision was done with such haste

Because its been planned for a long time, hence why teale and Goodwin have been working with the u20s. It's all becoming clear now, Danny had no chance!

Think back a few years! Millen was appointed Asst Manager, & continued to play. Along with Kevin Mgeown we had 2 captains on the park & even managed promotion.

Goodwin in particular could be a masterstroke! - TC at leat knows the club well enough, and, if it is a 1 year deal, then it suits everyone.

Not Mourinho granted, but I am happy for now!

Because its been planned for a long time, hence why teale and Goodwin have been working with the u20s. It's all becoming clear now, Danny had no chance!

If this is indeed the case, why did they stall telling him he was offski? Had they done so last week, we could at least have given the guy a send-off.

To be honest, I still think the manner in which Danny's departure has been dealt with stinks. Today's events do nothing to mitigate.

When we were in a slump, they neither sacked nor backed him. They effectively left him twisting in the wind. Despite that, he managed to haul us over the line, and now they've shat all over the guy.

This strikes me as the easiest managerial team to replace should the club be sold. Their remit is to continue doing exactly what Danny was doing, but without Danny (and his wage). Doesn't quite align with the ambition that many of Danny's detractors hoped for.

All just very very strange.

His remit isn't to waste money on players when we have youngsters under our nose who are already good enough?

Maybe TC recognised this and DL didn't?

If this is indeed the case, why did they stall telling him he was offski? Had they done so last week, we could at least have given the guy a send-off.

To be honest, I still think the manner in which Danny's departure has been dealt with stinks. Today's events do nothing to mitigate.

When we were in a slump, they neither sacked nor backed him. They effectively left him twisting in the wind. Despite that, he managed to haul us over the line, and now they've shat all over the guy.

This is one of my biggest gripes with the situation. Danny deserved to get the recognition he deserved, and the fans deserved to get the chance to say thank you.

I don't know whether Danny reads forums or social media, but I hope he does, because at least then he'd see how grateful the vast majority of the support are for his efforts at the club.

His remit isn't to waste money on players when we have youngsters under our nose who are already good enough?

Maybe TC recognised this and DL didn't?

Maybe. But TC would I imagine had been involved in our previous transfers.

Like I said...very strange.

if we can make a couple of strong signings over the summer then it changes everything in terms of potential for all concerned. Something I've always been impressed with about jim Goodwin is that he believes in winning or losing as a team and not hiding or throwing someone under a bus which DL used to do regularly in his early days. We now have three strong, experienced characters at the helm who are not scared to step up to the mark. That's what's needed when you have limited resources and perhaps can't compete with the top teams in terms of standard of footballer. Make no mistake, no St Mirren team will chuck it with these guys in charge.

This is one of my biggest gripes with the situation. Danny deserved to get the recognition he deserved, and the fans deserved to get the chance to say thank you.

I don't know whether Danny reads forums or social media, but I hope he does, because at least then he'd see how grateful the vast majority of the support are for his efforts at the club.

Yup.

Its no reflection on today's appointments, but it could have be handled a whole lot better.