Stabbed In The Back

Agreed board should be cleaned up or all merged. Its time to move on though close season usually brings the tedious posts out as we all have not much to write about apart when signings take place or the preseason tour. Thank god for the world cup that should help. I'm out in Brazil just now tickets all bought up touts asking silly money. Due home on the 11th of June which I'm worried about as I can see my back to back not being able to get a flight with thousands of fans flying in.

Good point , a good clean up/merge is required as the forum is a mess just now.

Each thread may have a different title but ultimately they all stray onto the same topic.

The board backed Danny to the hilt this season.

From winning the league cup in March last year the team won 1 game in SIXTEEN across all competitions. 8 games at the end of last season and 8 at the start of this season. The board did not panic and stuck with it. Almost certainly because of the cup win.

Had Lennon been sacked then few would have batted an eyelid in my opinion. That is a sacking run of form in anyone's book.

The board backed Danny, allowing him to pay off Lee Mair (having already paid off Dougie Imrie and that was having paid money to get him in the first place !), allowing him to ship out pretty much all of his summer signings, and yet still allowing him to bring in 5 more players in January (Kello, Campbell, Djemba, Magennis, Wylde).

The team started 2014 in abysmal form again though, with one win in 11 games, losing 8 of those.

Again the board could easily have sacked Danny at that point but they did not.

I'm guessing that during that time they perhaps thought Danny had taken us as far as they could but that sacking him would have been fairly pointless given we had the security blanket of Hearts to ensure that the worst scenario was the Play Offs.

He could and should have gone during either of those runs. He didn't.

The club gave Danny four years. Danny gave us some good memories, and some bad.

The parting of the ways was neither a back stabbing nor a "plot". It was a sensible move to try and freshen the place up with some new ideas.

Still, don't let the facts get in the way Stuart !

All true until you get to the but about freshening up the place.

should have got rid of Tommy Craig if they wanted to do that!

We're now lumbered with a 63 year old with 6 months of managerial experience!

All true until you get to the but about freshening up the place.

should have got rid of Tommy Craig if they wanted to do that!

We're now lumbered with a 63 year old with 6 months of managerial experience!

TC or should i say TBC (thats got a certain ring to it)

is the same age as Louis Van Gaal

has more caps than Van Gaal (ok its its just the wan)

has played at a higher level than Van Gaal

has more apps and goals than Van Gaal

and he manages St Mirren.... when's the last time we had a manager with some actual pedigree, international experience, whose worked with the country's young stars, and coached along side some of the greats???

The board backed Danny to the hilt this season.

From winning the league cup in March last year the team won 1 game in SIXTEEN across all competitions. 8 games at the end of last season and 8 at the start of this season. The board did not panic and stuck with it. Almost certainly because of the cup win.

Had Lennon been sacked then few would have batted an eyelid in my opinion. That is a sacking run of form in anyone's book.

The board backed Danny, allowing him to pay off Lee Mair (having already paid off Dougie Imrie and that was having paid money to get him in the first place !), allowing him to ship out pretty much all of his summer signings, and yet still allowing him to bring in 5 more players in January (Kello, Campbell, Djemba, Magennis, Wylde).

The team started 2014 in abysmal form again though, with one win in 11 games, losing 8 of those.

Again the board could easily have sacked Danny at that point but they did not.

I'm guessing that during that time they perhaps thought Danny had taken us as far as they could but that sacking him would have been fairly pointless given we had the security blanket of Hearts to ensure that the worst scenario was the Play Offs.

He could and should have gone during either of those runs. He didn't.

The club gave Danny four years. Danny gave us some good memories, and some bad.

The parting of the ways was neither a back stabbing nor a "plot". It was a sensible move to try and freshen the place up with some new ideas.

Still, don't let the facts get in the way Stuart !

So you're saying the recruitment and talent acquisition policy is flawed and that Danny Lennon wasn't the up and coming manager the board thought they were recruiting. It has to be one or the other Div as I've said in my posts. The fans didn't appoint Lennon and Lennon didn't appoint himself. The board interviewed him and decided he was the man for the job, yet in the end he appears to have hit a dead end in his career at St Mirren - just like all the managers the current board has appointed to the position and I don't imagine that Tommy Craig will fare any better.

Yeah, I agree with this. It always seems to me that other Scottish clubs have managers and players who go on to a higher stage.

All the other clubs at a similar level have managed to have at least one manager go up the pay scale over the same period.

St Johnstone - Owen Coyle and Derek McInnes.

Dundee United - Craig Levien and Paul Sturrock

Motherwell - Alex McLeish, Billy Davies, Terry Butcher, Mark McGhee and Craig Brown

Hibernian - Alex McLeish and Tony Mowbray

Hearts - George Burley and Craig Levien

Partick Thistle - Jackie McNamara

Inverness Caley - Steve Paterson, John Robertson, Craig Brewster and Terry Butcher

Ross County - Derek Adams

Kilmarnock - Mixu Paatelainen, and Bobby Williamson

Of the other SPL clubs Celtic have of course had Martin O'Neill leave to go up the pay scale at Villa and Sunderland. And only Aberdeen can match St Mirren's unenvious record when it comes to dead ending managers careers.

All the other clubs at a similar level have managed to have at least one manager go up the pay scale over the same period.

Motherwell - Alex McLeish, Billy Davies, Terry Butcher, Mark McGhee and Craig Brown

Inverness Caley - Steve Paterson, John Robertson, Craig Brewster and Terry Butcher

Of the other SPL clubs Celtic have of course had Martin O'Neill leave to go up the pay scale at Villa and Sunderland. And only Aberdeen can match St Mirren's unenvious record when it comes to dead ending managers careers.

so what you are saying is that saints are making these managers seem good when infact they are actually pish?

What ever happened to that chap we got from East Stirling

Alex Miller (Hibs, Liverpool assistant) and Alex Smith (Aberdeen) must have improved their wages when they left us. Plus they went on to help win major trophies including the Champions League, Scottish League Cup and Scottish Cup.

Maybe we should just sign managers called Alex......

For a wee diddy team to have helped the early careers of players such as Paul Lambert and Stevie Clarke who went on to become European cup winners as players and also managed in the EPL we must be doing something right.

How many players have Rangers and Celtic coached from a young age in the last 30 years who have been European champions as players and managed in the EPL?

And who can forget how good Ricky Gillies was at AC Milan.........

Are you claiming that Alex Miller and Alex Smith were recruited by Stewart Gilmour, George Campbell, Brian McAusland, Alan Marshall and Evelyn Purves?

Did they also recruit Paul Lambert and Stevie Clarke? Stevie Clarke won the European Cup Winners Cup. And Rangers coached Reno Gattusso who went on to win the Champions League twice

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Are you claiming that Alex Miller and Alex Smith were recruited by Stewart Gilmour, George Campbell, Brian McAusland, Alan Marshall and Evelyn Purves?

Did they also recruit Paul Lambert and Stevie Clarke? Stevie Clarke won the European Cup Winners Cup. And Rangers coached Reno Gattusso who went on to win the Champions League twice

Nobody quite manages the art of "pointless shite" like you my dear boy.

So you're saying the recruitment and talent acquisition policy is flawed and that Danny Lennon wasn't the up and coming manager the board thought they were recruiting. It has to be one or the other Div as I've said in my posts. The fans didn't appoint Lennon and Lennon didn't appoint himself. The board interviewed him and decided he was the man for the job, yet in the end he appears to have hit a dead end in his career at St Mirren - just like all the managers the current board has appointed to the position and I don't imagine that Tommy Craig will fare any better.

The manager is in charge of recruitment. He is given a budget to work within by the board, and it's up to him how he chooses to use it.

In his first season as manager he made a mess of his transfer dealings as he completely under-estimated the quality of the SPL. We scraped through by the skin of our teeth and it was a real let off.

Thankfully Danny heeded the lesson and he traded very well second season with quality acquisitions like Thompson, McGowan, Carey, Tesselaar, Teale and Hasselbaink. The injury to McGregor scuppered what could have been a brilliant campaign but alas the wheels came off a bit

Last season we struck gold in the loan market. Dummett, Newton and Goncalves all contributed heavily towards the cup win. There is little doubt we wouldn't have won the cup without those three players but sadly the league campaign went by the wayside.

Last summer Danny's trading was abysmal. There is no two ways about it. He tried to correct it in January but still made massive errors, and ultimately it is that which cost him a contract renewal. He simply couldn't be trusted to rebuild the squad in my opinion.

Austin McPhee was the man Danny used a lot when taking advice on player recruitment. Tellingly enough he is no longer at the club either.

Tommy's appointment is actually a blessing for the footballing philosophy which him and Danny brought to the club, but obviously the board feel that Tommy can get more out of the limited resources we have available whilst bringing on two young coaches with fresh ideas and enthusiasm.

It remains to be seen if it will succeed, but every appointment is a gamble.

Good point , a good clean up/merge is required as the forum is a mess just now.

Each thread may have a different title but ultimately they all stray onto the same topic.

i would like to know why people insist on asking for threads to be closed or merged, why does it bother you ? if i or anyone else wants to start a thread then we have every right to even if there are 100 threads on the same topic, seriously why do you bother,

i would like to know why people insist on asking for threads to be closed or merged, why does it bother you ? if i or anyone else wants to start a thread then we have every right to even if there are 100 threads on the same topic, seriously why do you bother,

I think we just go the whole hog and merge every thread on the forum into one giant thread!

You sound more bothered than anyone, to be fair.

You've started on the lighter fuel early this evening mate.

Fuxake, your list is so full of holes I'm not sure where to start but I can't really be arsed as it will mean another response from you and this shit will run and run. Plus you've obviously put in a good bit of "google elbow grease" to come up with it and are probably quite pleased with yourself so it seems a shame to start picking it apart.

Incidentally, I don't disagree with the thrust of your point but you do have the capacity to be a real bore of f**k.

Edited by DLBud

Fuxake, your list is so full of holes I'm not sure where to start but I can't really be arsed as it will mean another response from you and this shit will run and run. Plus you've obviously put in a good bit of "google elbow grease" to come up with it and are probably quite pleased with yourself so it seems a shame to start picking it apart.

Incidentally, I don't disagree with the thrust of your point but you do have the capacity to be a real bore of f**k.

If you think his efforts on this thread are easy to pick apart and ridicule, you should try the referendum thread.

He's posted more shite in there, than has passed through Shieldhall sewage works in the last 100 years.

Edited by FTOF