Mcgregor Signs For Sevco - Confirmed

Just giving my opinion .I guarantee you before the season starts there will be a few more saying the same thing .Just wait and see the shite we bring in we will be worse than last season not counting the last seven games we were rank.

I sympathise with you elvis, working offshore and supporting St.Mirren used to drive me mental. So I decided I had to give one up. Found myself a nice job at home so I could carry on supporting my team.

You might not like them but I would hardly call them duds Dundee are starting to shape up.

I think if we signed Thomson after that Hibs performance a few weeks ago this place would be in meltdown. Maybe could do a job as a back up for Goodwin but i think he'd be too dear to be a squad player.

I hope that they turn out to be duds, however they may turn out to be really good signings.

Do people believe we will sign much better?

Both are injury prone and over the hill. McPake may look good with his last ditch tackles but thats normally because his positional play is so bad and he is always caught out. We will be looking at players like them but thankfully we have dodged 2 bullets here.

You're not wrong there.

Expensive duds too.

At least ours will be affordable duds.rolleyes.gif

lol.gif . Lets hope Newcastle have a few decent youth players they can send up.It just reminds me when Dundee last came up and they signed the likes of John Baird, Mark Kerr, McBride.

Also is it not a bit odd Thomson and McPake are not waiting to see what other teams are interested in them? To me them signing for the new boys is a sign of desperation and just glad to be given another shot in the top league.

It might be a perfect fit and both players relish the opportunity at a smaller club. I wouldn't be pinning my hopes on them if i was a Dundee fan though.

You might not like them but I would hardly call them duds Dundee are starting to shape up.

They're cast offs who helped take Hibs down. I don't see them suddenly be

Lets hope they keep wasting money on duds like them two.

You're spot on. They're duds. Thomson's done, McPake is guff. If that's their masterplan for staying up then good luck to them. Sign two guys who helped take Hibs down, plus a striker from Cowdenbeath.

Excellent stuff.

The boy's had some shite luck with injuries and is still a good player. If we can wrangle a massive wage in comparisson then best of luck to him. It's not like he's irreplaceable. He's a good lad too by all accounts so if you can ride those doolally bastards like a donkey for inflated wages then good on him I say. We'll move on, no real harm done. Rather he decided now than drag the arse out it and leave us hanging.

Edited by Lanarkshire_Bud

McGregor to Ibrox is reported as a possibility in today's Daily Express.

He's a smashing lad but he'll definitely fall victim to the 'he's not Rangers class' brigade at Ibrox. A background at Cowdenbeath & us means he's going to another whipping boy, just like Broadfoot and Charlie Adam were.

Bad move for him, will be one season then he'll not be first choice when they get back to the premier league next year trying to challenge Celtic. Short term financial gain then he'll end up on the scrap heap probably picked up by a mid table championship team after a couple of years. Would probably say he's best going to Hearts Dundee or staying put.

Bad move for him, will be one season then he'll not be first choice when they get back to the premier league next year trying to challenge Celtic.

Yeah, I thought exactly that. Make no mistake: he will stroll the Championship next season, but instantly have to make way for someone foreign the following season.

Financially: great decision. Football-wise? Terrible.

Yeah, I thought exactly that. Make no mistake: he will stroll the Championship next season, but instantly have to make way for someone foreign the following season.

Financially: great decision. Football-wise? Terrible.

This is what I don't get, whys it a good move financially if rangers are close to going busy again?!! How can this club keep offering money they don't have!

I have no issue with McGregor moving on. I agree with others in that I think it is a pretty big gamble for the player, but he only has himself to answer to.

I don't think he owes us anything other than a wee bit of gratitude for kick-starting his career at this level and then standing by him through his horrendous injuries, but I would have expected no less from the club in those circumstances. He was a great player for us before his first injury, so had earned the support of the club and supporters, but has been a shadow of the player he could have been since his return. I suspect he will be more confident next term, however, having got a season under his belt with no major repercussions from his injuries.

I'm afraid I can't bring myself to wish anyone who moves to sevco my best wishes. I hope they lose every game he plays in, and if Darren contributes to those losses, so be it.

Where does it leave us? As has also been said, he is far from irreplaceable. I wouldn't anticipate that the club will face a major headache bringing someone in as a replacement.

Edited by Drew

This is what I don't get, whys it a good move financially if rangers are close to going busy again?!! How can this club keep offering money they don't have!

I'm inclined to agree, surely Darren has an agent that'll be spelling this out for him. Rangers following admin have liquidated and restarted another company, they've blasted over 70m (remains unaccounted for) and now can't sell season tickets after having to take out 1.5 bridging finance. Also during last season they asked their players to take a pay cut of about 20%. Without some revenue other than gate money the current owners will be taking this incarnation into admin next season at which point his income will be at risk.

I agree that he's replaceable, but I just can't see what agent would endorse the move.

Maybe Darren uses the same agent as Craig Beattie who made sure his client got his money paid upfront when he signed for Hearts.

Maybe, he does.

I understood Rangers have to repay their 1.5m bridging finance as soon as they've got that much money, terms of the loan. As they've not paid that loan back, I'd conclude they don't have the money- so getting 6k (my guess) a week paid up front would seem odd.

I'm more concerned with who plays centre half for us.

I wish Darren no ill and for a man in his late 20's who has only been on full time contracts for 3 years you hope he makes as much out of football as best he can. His next contract will be his most lucrative wherever he ends up. Ut might even be his last depending on injury. It's a short career especially when you come into full time football at 23/24.

Who in their right mind would not sign a contract that sees your wage jump from £1,000 a week to anywhere between £2k and £3k a week if not more. I hope he signs a lucrative 3 year deal. Not so sure his new employer will be able to honour it though given their awful predicament.

I wish Darren no ill and for a man in his late 20's who has only been on full time contracts for 3 years you hope he makes as much out of football as best he can. His next contract will be his most lucrative wherever he ends up. Ut might even be his last depending on injury. It's a short career especially when you come into full time football at 23/24.

Who in their right mind would not sign a contract that sees your wage jump from £1,000 a week to anywhere between £2k and £3k a week if not more. I hope he signs a lucrative 3 year deal. Not so sure his new employer will be able to honour it though given their awful predicament.

In a lot of respects I agree however we stood by him for not one season but two and could have easily let him go. Then again I certainly don't think he is anywhere near the player he was pre injury

You have to be fair to Darren on this one. He has had two bad injuries and may see this as financial security if he suffers another bad one. He is not the player he was and hopefully we can get a better replacement in.

You surely couldn't see signing for that shower as financial security? They can't look after their own finances.

I have no issue with McGregor moving on. I agree with others in that I think it is a pretty big gamble for the player, but he only has himself to answer to.

Might be a big gamble for us if we were to hold on to him.