Responses To Brian Caldwell Updates

You know what is hilarious, this forum takes great pleasure, quite rightly, pointing and laughing at teams who overspend and yet we live within our means and some half wits still don't get it. 1eye.gif

These "experts" know nothing abut the clubs finances and throw comments around like "tight" and "cheapskates" thinking the club should sign anybody no matter what the cost.

Isabella was right, some football supporters are stupid.

Correct Boss, some just dinnae get it.

The picture accompanying the article below would suggest that, as is typical, Tommy Docherty is relaying the pitch for the start of next season. Might this account for the absence of home friendly matches?

http://www.saintmirren.net/pages/?p=33760

Are we the only club who lays a new pitch? If its not grown and ready for action a couple of weeks before the season when friendlies are taking place across the country then it won't be ready for the kick off of the season. I suspect money has more to do with the lack of home friendlies than the grass! Edited by Big Yards

Are we the only club who lays a new pitch? If its not grown and ready for action a couple of weeks before the season when friendlies are taking place across the country then it won't be ready for the kick off of the season. I suspect money has more to do with the lack of home friendlies than the grass!

You really don't have a clue.

What is the situation with Gary Harkins is he due back for the new season or looking to leave ?

Can't really say anything on that at the moment, sorry.

As I mentioned previously Harkins will not be back.

Possible Oldham return mentioned today along with the fact Dilo has been effectively released.

spittal to united

McGregor to Gers

Redmond to accies

Stevenson to Thistle

We have definitely got the drop on these teams, not one of them is signing keepers. They'll be sorry when they face our 11-man line between the sticks

Accies have signed a keeper. They also signed Dougie 'the relegater' Imrie. No wonder he didn't fit in at Saints- must of been shocked to stay up!

For the avoidance of doubt the manager is given a budget to work with.

This budget is the amount of money the club can afford to spend on players wages after it forecasts it's income and costs over the next 12 months.

The forecast is based on the worst case scenario, ie two defeats away from home in both cup competitions in the first round and the lowest league finish that doesn't mean relegation.

This budget is then given to the management team to spend however they see fit.

So, for example If they wanted to pay one player £5k a week or 5 players £1k a week, it's entirely up to them.

The budget will be purely based on WHAT WE CAN AFFORD.

I love the comments like "tight bastards", "skinfllints", "cheapskates".

Have Hearts, Rangers, Gretna, Dundee, Dunfermline and Livingston really taught us nothing ?

ps; This is nothing to do with Brian Caldwell, this is entirely my thoughts !

This budget is the amount of money the club can afford to spend on players wages after it forecasts it's income and costs over the next 12 months.

The forecast is based on the worst case scenario, ie two defeats away from home in both cup competitions in the first round and the lowest league finish that doesn't mean relegation.

So, for example If they wanted to pay one player £5k a week or 5 players £1k a week, it's entirely up to them.

Have Hearts, Rangers, Gretna, Dundee, Dunfermline and Livingston really taught us nothing ?

Correct!

Its all very well saying Patrick are beating us to players, but some people don't realize that it might just be a case of Alan Archibald thinking Stevenson is worth more than TC does. And to be fair, I think he would make a bigger difference to thistle than he would to us.

And that's the way it should be!

You know what is hilarious, this forum takes great pleasure, quite rightly, pointing and laughing at teams who overspend and yet we live within our means and some half wits still don't get it. 1eye.gif

These "experts" know nothing abut the clubs finances and throw comments around like "tight" and "cheapskates" thinking the club should sign anybody no matter what the cost.

Isabella was right, some football supporters are stupid.

Indeed........................oh, that was me. thumbup2.gif

Any players coming in anytime soon? :)

Not this week it seems.

Some players away on holiday 2 in particular that we need an answer from if they are staying or off away.

No secret that McGinn is likely to be away and McLean may stay 1 more season.

Though there are players spoken about and on the radar, it seems July is our active period with the groundwork being done in June.

We have a good core squad , it's just answers from 2 or 3 who may be off before we know full extent of what we require.

Good news is , we are not allowing them too much time to decide , TC is wanting quick decisions so we don't get caught short .

No rush for me as the groundwork is well under way ( all this is just my opinion)

I think every saints fan understands and accepts your point div,but it cant be the "go to" excuse every time we lose out on a player we CAN afford .TC doesnt think hes worth the money hes asking for or the length of contract FINE,just getting sick of the same tired old pish every time we lose out on a decent player

Not this week it seems.

Some players away on holiday 2 in particular that we need an answer from if they are staying or off away.

Though there are players spoken about and on the radar, it seems July is our active period with the groundwork being done in June.

We have a good core squad , it's just answers from 2 or 3 who may be off before we know full extent of what we require.

Good news is , we are not allowing them too much time to decide , TC is wanting quick decisions so we don't get caught short .

No rush for me as the groundwork is well under way ( all this is just my opinion)

We have a good core squad ,have i missed a few signings while ive been on holiday ?

The budget will be purely based on WHAT WE CAN

I know it's your website Div but this is no place for that sort of pragmatic, common sense, shite! Edited by DLBud

Not this week it seems.

I find it strange that we have let our back up left back go out on loan unless we have a replacement lined up to come in as it just leaves us with Kelly at left back?

I think every saints fan understands and accepts your point div,but it cant be the "go to" excuse every time we lose out on a player we CAN afford .TC doesnt think hes worth the money hes asking for or the length of contract FINE,just getting sick of the same tired old pish every time we lose out on a decent player

I think the danger is that we over egg this a bit.

Ryan Stevenson is a decent player, yes, but he's not THAT good. He's had injury problems in the past and he can be very inconsistent.

Personally I wouldn't have given him the 2+1 year deal Thistle have.

We can only judge the transfer dealings once the window has closed and we see the finished side. Sure it is worrying that 9 or 10 players have gone but let's see what the new management team can do. Give them a chance.

Speak for yourself, everyone has their own opinion and thankfully there not all like yours.

What impact did earning £200K or so more in the league prize money plus a few SC games have on this year's budget compared with last year's or did winning the League Cup balance it out?