Paisley - City Of Culture 2021

shull

I was being a bit tongue in cheek and I suppose that was a bit unfair bearing in mind you're one of the good guys where Paisley is concerned. I do think the centre was an abomination of a thing and looks awful from a distance. Maybe it was the same architect that designed the Paisley Piazza. I used to get lost trying to find clients' houses. i don't think there was an A1 directory for Cumbernauld back then.

Gregory's Girl! Now you're talking!

Don't get me wrong, the 1960s town centre original concrete complex can be viewed as a depressing throwback to a long-lost time that should now be razed to the ground. I don't agree. I use the 'carbunkle' all the time. Seriously, there are wee gems hidden amongst the dross - like Baldaserros chicken salad sarnies and coffee. Two Costa coffee shops, decent clothes shops, travel agents, good hairdressers, massive Tesco and Asda, a good new pub, post office, good chippy... I use it a lot. I think Sir Basil Spence designed it. I think examples of 1960s architecture like Cumbernauld town centre should be preserved. Cleaned up, spruced up - but preserved.

Knock down stuff like this and In 50, 75, 100 years time? Where would we be?......

....East Kilbride?

A link here to the council site with some words:

http://www.renfrewshire.gov.uk/webcontent/home/services/planning+and+building+standards/regeneration+projects/ce-spotlight-paisleyuntoldstory

And a link here to an executive summary report about the heritage strategy,

http://www.renfrewshire.gov.uk/wps/wcm/connect/bbf62359-ebbb-4397-9f48-2794746ecd9e/pt-PaisleyUntoldStoryExecSummary.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

If you feel like getting behind this then a minimum to consider is to be positive about the potential in this strategy.

Contact the council and tell them what you feel is wrong and could be done better and offer a solution.

What's your wish for Paisley?

Back to Paisley..........

Assuming they won't demolish the Piazza what do they do to make it more appealing to the eye and popular to use?

Are there any café/coffee shops in their? Somewhere to attract people to use it as a central meeting place after shopping?

The empty units in the town centre HAVE to be filled, surely the council should be offering these at low/nil rates?

• 3 years later...

Congratulations to the Paisley 2021 bid team for winning a PR award down in London last night. They were up against some high-profile PR campaigns, including the one to keep interest in the Great British Bake Off high, as Mary Berry and Mel & Sue left, and the BBC lost the rights to it. Recognition for the great PR generated for our town.

At the end of the day, Coventry won the award, but our representatives staged a tremendous campaign and fought a fair fight. Some reward for all their efforts anyway.

You can’t win it if you’re not in it, and starting from a base point roughly equating to ‘Paisley? City of Culture? Aye, right’,  just shows how they turned that on its head and came mighty close to actually winning.

Edited by pozbaird

Guest TPAFKATS
Congratulations to the Paisley 2021 bid team for winning a PR award down in London last night. They were up against some high-profile PR campaigns, including the one to keep interest in the Great British Bake Off high, as Mary Berry and Mel & Sue left, and the BBC lost the rights to it. Recognition for the great PR generated for our town.
At the end of the day, Coventry won the award, but our representatives staged a tremendous campaign and fought a fair fight. Some reward for all their efforts anyway.
You can’t win it if you’re not in it, and starting from a base point roughly equating to ‘Paisley? City of Culture? Aye, right’,  just shows how they turned that on its head and came mighty close to actually winning.
It was a great effort. Glad the town is going to continue with the promotions even though the bid was unsuccessful.

Sent from my phone using sausage fingers