Thommogod - Bad News

Is this the same forum where everyone was recently saying how excited they were about our squad and we only needed a couple more signings?

The future's so bright you are all wearing blinkers and welding goggles

We do.

A centre half, another striker and the loanee midfielder from Man City and we'll be fine.

Whether we get the first two players remains to be seen.

You'd think law of averages and all that..... He'd be right at least once?

I wonder if he's ever predicted us having a relatively succesful seasom?

When we start to show some ambition and stop praying for another team to be worse than we are season after season that would help .Mark my words we will be every bit as bad if not worse than we were for the majority of last season and Hamilton and Partick will leave us standing my guess is us 12 th Caley 11th.Oh how I wish I could win the Euro lotto.

Steven has averaged 40 games a season for us in his mid-30s. It's testament to the way he looks after himself, but we've also been fortunate that he's not really suffered an injury as a St Mirren player.

He's 36 later this year. I hope he turns about to be a Kevin Phillips or a Teddy Sheringham who can keep playing at a good level until the age of 40. Sooner rather than later though we will probably have to look beyond him.

We do.

A centre half, another striker and the loanee midfielder from Man City and we'll be fine.

Whether we get the first two players remains to be seen.

Our squad is better than it was this time last year, I don't get what all the panic is about.

Edited by davidg

Our squad is better than it was this time last year, I don't get what all the panick is about.

Aside from the usual suspects I don't think there is any panic yet but I'm not sure I agree that we're better off at the moment than last year.

Goalkeeper - last year was a shambles so we've definitely improved there.

Full back - we had Vanzy and Grainger with the Naismith and Kelly behind them. Now we've got little experience or cover.

Centre back - Mair, McAusland and McGregor. Now we've got McAusland and an unknown quantity in the Man City kid.

Midfield - we've lost Newton, McGowan and Harkins. We've got Wylde in and Teale back fit but we're short of goals.

Striker - we've added Marwood and Caldwell. This might work out well for us but neither are in the mould of a target man and we've just lost ours for a while

Unless I'm missing something I'm not sure how we're better off although I appreciate we still have time to sign some more players. It would be nice to bring in some experience, particularly in defence. If we go into the season with McAusland, Kelly, Naismith and the Man City boy then I think we will struggle. Our two full backs had their moments last season but neither showed any real consistency and I can't remember them playing well together.

I'm not panicking, just trying to be pragmatic.

The team needs new players. Just even a few decent pros to boost the numbers. What we have at the minute will ensure that we will be fighting the drop. Let's not kid ourselves too McGinn and McLean could both go at a moments notice to be replaced by who? We have signed nobody that inspires me to believe we're going to do well. It's just looking like more cost cutting as far as I can see. And before folk say hardly anyone has signed anyone fine but the manager of Saint Mirren said he needed recruitment to happen quick. Dundee and killie have done well whilst thistle have Stevenson who is a highly influential player. We have nobody yet signed that inspires and is caldwell, ridgers, marwood and Plummer really on the same wages as McGowan and harkins? I'd guess not. We're going to be struggling again unless we have a couple of good signings lined up which I hope we do. You can only cost cut so long before you get caught out and we have already done away with an assistant managers position. I wish tommy all the best but he was the cheap option regardless of what the board may say. That isn't a bad thing but we need a squad that has depth not a squad that with thommo now injured we have nobody to replace him with? We need competition for places in the team and we don't have that at all.

Aside from the usual suspects I don't think there is any panic yet but I'm not sure I agree that we're better off at the moment than last year.

Full back - we had Vanzy and Grainger with the Naismith and Kelly behind them. Now we've got little experience or cover.

Centre back - Mair, McAusland and McGregor. Now we've got McAusland and an unknown quantity in the Man City kid.

Midfield - we've lost Newton, McGowan and Harkins. We've got Wylde in and Teale back fit but we're short of goals.

Striker - we've added Marwood and Caldwell. This might work out well for us but neither are in the mould of a target man and we've just lost ours for a while

Unless I'm missing something I'm not sure how we're better off although I appreciate we still have time to sign some more players. It would be nice to bring in some experience, particularly in defence. If we go into the season with McAusland, Kelly, Naismith and the Man City boy then I think we will struggle. Our two full backs had their moments last season but neither showed any real consistency and I can't remember them playing well together.

Goalkeeper - Like you say we're definitely stronger.

Full Back - No we didn't have Grainger at this stage and we're probably stronger without him......

We did have DVZ though but once the season got going he couldn't get a game for Naismith so I don't see how we are weaker. Less bodies yes but weaker....?

Centre back - we lost McGregor and replaced him with a loan player from City. Too early to tell but I can't see him being any worse than '3 yards too deep' McGregor.

Centre Mid - We didn't have Newton at this stage. We had Harkins who is no loss at all. We Have Wylde.

Forward - I would say we've lost Gowser from this position, not midfield as he played just off Thommo. We've signed Marwood & Caldwell.

We've no idea how long Thommo is out for, it could be a couple of days it could be weeks.

We also have a few youngsters stepping up again who look decent.

We have McGinn & McLean (not new players I know but) who have matured over the last season and both are stronger

IMO we, like everyone else, need several more players BUT we are in better shape than this time last year.

Edited by davidg

Regardless of whether we are stronger or not we still need 4 additional players. We have a squad which is thin on the ground in terms of numbers and quality. We can't rely on what we have over the season.

I don't think anyone is saying that we should rely on what we have at the moment. I think there's a universal agreement that we still need players in, for example, some defensive cover and a right sided midfielder. However, I'm happy that we don't seem to necessarily be panic buying this season. Last season, I felt like we just signed some players for the hell of it (Cornell, Caprice etc.)

I still think we need a few more players in - but I'm not as worried as I was at this point last season. I'm sure we'll see some more signings before the start of the season. Tommy Craig knows we need players in, and said as much when he got the job.

In my opinion bringing three or four youths plus the four lesser players in

In my opinion bringing three or four youths plus the four lesser players in does not make for a good squad that gets smaller every season .

In my opinion bringing three or four youths plus the four lesser players in does not make for a good squad that gets smaller every season .

Can you repeat that

Edited by pod

The team needs new players. Just even a few decent pros to boost the numbers. What we have at the minute will ensure that we will be fighting the drop. Let's not kid ourselves too McGinn and McLean could both go at a moments notice to be replaced by who? We have signed nobody that inspires me to believe we're going to do well. It's just looking like more cost cutting as far as I can see. And before folk say hardly anyone has signed anyone fine but the manager of Saint Mirren said he needed recruitment to happen quick. Dundee and killie have done well whilst thistle have Stevenson who is a highly influential player. We have nobody yet signed that inspires and is caldwell, ridgers, marwood and Plummer really on the same wages as McGowan and harkins? I'd guess not. We're going to be struggling again unless we have a couple of good signings lined up which I hope we do. You can only cost cut so long before you get caught out and we have already done away with an assistant managers position. I wish tommy all the best but he was the cheap option regardless of what the board may say. That isn't a bad thing but we need a squad that has depth not a squad that with thommo now injured we have nobody to replace him with? We need competition for places in the team and we don't have that at all.

Kenny McLean is a better player than Ryan Stevenson, and certainly inspires me a great deal more than most of the players our competitors have signed. He will be our most significant signing of the close season, and I am more than happy with that. If we keep McGinn, we will have two of the best young midfielders in the league.

Yes, we need to strengthen further (and we will), but that should not take away from the quality that we already have in certain areas of the squad.

Edited by Drew

Agree with this but all I was saying was there is no need to panic as we are stronger than last season and WILL still improve the squad.

I do believe we will add to the current squad, but whether or not we IMPROVE the squad remains to be seen. Danny made many additions last season that only succeeded in pummelling the budget without improving the squad in any way.

Pedantic but at this stage last year we hadn't signed Grainger and Newton didn't arrive till after the season started.

I've said elsewhere that we need more cover at CH & defensive midfield and I'm sure this will be addressed - the injury to Thompson is the scenario we've dreaded for the past season or so but in terms of numbers I think we're well covered up-front, we'll just have to wait and see how things develop and see whether Thompson comes back match fit before the August transfer window ends.