Thommo

pod

I spoke to the club today regarding the rumours circulating online about Thommo's imminent retirement, and that he was "out for the whole season".

Thommo started light running last week, and is stepping up his re-hab in stages. Groin holding up fine so far and everyone seems quite happy with how it's going.

The Cheesy interview was a bit unfortunate, he meant that Thommo had been out for the whole season to date.

No reason to be concerned at this stage about Thommo going for a permanent gig on Sportscene !

Another error from Cheesy...............bag.gif

Great to hear the positive and trusted news from Div re. Thommo being back to light running. Like all fans I look forward to him leading out the team. I do think it's time for a clear head though. As was commented on the Radio at the weekend some fans are talking as though Thommo has morphed in to Pele over the last couple of months. Through no fault of his own he is in danger of becoming that rare breed of striker who gets better with every game he doesn't play.

In 2014 Thommo has scored 5 goals for St Mirren in 22 games (19 league games from 2nd January 2014 to 7th May 2014 + 1 Scottish Cup game / 1 League game + 1 League Cup game this season). That's a goal every 4.4 matches.

When back he will be 36, and having just recuperated from a serious groin injury. Match fitness at his age will take some time to fully attain, and that's if he can then stay injury free. It will be mid-winter, the team will more than likely still be struggling, his striking partners will still be the miss-firing Ball, Caldwell, Marwood or Reilly, and the manager will more than likely still be TC.

I don't write this with the intention of pissing on anyone's chips, quite the opposite, more of an appeal for us to be patient with Thommo and let him break himself back in, let his leadership skills slowly come to the fore, let his in-match influence perhaps get that extra few % out of the struggling players. Bit by bit things might start to improve.Even at our most enthusiastic though the various points above would suggest that it would seem unlikely that he will be troubling net too often. This is not leveled at the majority on here, but at the minority who appear to think that Thommo will sort it all out. That's a massive and entirely unreasonable ask.

For me the more pertinent questions are two fold

1) Can we stave off relegation via some very smart business in the January window? ie. can we perhaps look to generate some income by moving on (via loan or sale) certain players in order to bring in (likely via loan) a couple of short term and high impact players (Centre Forward and a centre Half).

2) Do the Board trust in TC enough to allow him to oversee and influence point 1?

As we all know the situation this seasons is serious, with most of us feeling that relegation is becoming inevitable, and this in a league without the usual trio of Rangers and the Edinburgh sisters. If we finish 12th it's the automatic trapdoor, 11th is equally likely to end in tears with the prospect of a double header against either Rangers Mark II or Hearts. IMHO we need 10th, 11th won't do it. To do so, and being realistic looking at the table, we need to leapfrog either Dundee (currently 12 points ahead), Kilmarnock (currently 12 points ahead), Thistle (currently 7 points ahead + game in hand), St J (currently 6 points ahead), Motherwell (currently 2 points ahead).

I'd love to see Thommo with the captains armband leading out the team, but I'd swap it for our Board admitting that their cost cutting exercise has failed spectacularly, followed by appropriate action to at least try to get us back in with a fighting chance.

• 1 month later...

I think he should retire now.

Sadly, you might be right.

We should support him through his rehab and honour his contract, of course, but to all intents and purposes we need to remove him from the squad list so we are 100% clear as to what we lack in the forward position. It pains me to say it, but he is no longer a viable option.

I was among many who were quick to berate Craig for placing all his eggs in the Thompson basket, so its only fair to now face the fact that it is wildly optimistic at best to think that the big guy will feature in any meaningful capacity for us again, and anyone who believes the contrary is kidding themselves.

Edited by Drew