Stephen Mallan

TopCat

Get McGinn out wide (where I think he is more effective anyway) and let this boy play in the middle.

McGinn would have been more effective in the stand today. Possibly one of the worst games he has played in a Saints shirt? Hopefully get back to normal soon.

On todays showing Stephen Mallan is the clubs jewel in the crown at the moment.

McGinn would have been more effective in the stand today. Possibly one of the worst games he has played in a Saints shirt? Hopefully get back to normal soon.

On todays showing Stephen Mallan is the clubs jewel in the crown at the moment.

I understand what your saying bout young Mallan, i`ve no doubt he will be a star.

McGinn had a howler today & has had a few this season but overall he has been a revelation, including having a future premiership star in his back pocket in the semi two years ago.

McGinn is a class player.

Form is temporary..... Class is permanent.

I reckon Thommo would have smacked a few of Mallan's corners into the net! Come back soon :)

This.

His set-piece deliveries are superb for a young lad. We need a natural goalscoring centre forward on the end of them, though would have expected better yesterday from the players who had numerous opportunities.

Yeah, his delivery is exceptional, just need Thommo smashing them into the back of the net and we'll be laughing. Yesterday was by far his best game. Hardly put a foot wrong all day. Passing, dribbling and crossing were all spot on, I'm also impressed with the way he stands up to the physical demands of the game, for quite a small guy he's never intimidated or bullied on the park. Very encouraging.

Deliveries are brilliant particularly the out-swinging corner from the right. Best dead ball delivery since Simon Lappin.

Bit harsh on others though like McGinn. I hope it is a reflection on the high standards he has set for himself rather than the typical talking down of everything St.Mirren related.

McGinn's a class act, he'll be back to his best in no time I'm sure. He's been incredibly consistent since he broke into the team, especially for someone so young.

McGinn's a class act, he'll be back to his best in no time I'm sure. He's been incredibly consistent since he broke into the team, especially for someone so young.

Agree with you there. Over the top criticism maybe but all too often some are never happy.

IF we stay up we will be in a fantastic position to move forward hopefully replicating the young guys entering the team at ease. The key issue as we all know is...

Goals at both ends of the park.

New found positivity and in particular excellent deliveries have us begging for Thommo to return.

I have to say I'd go for Teale now and get rid of any ambiguity. The guys are playing for him and how we managed to waste so many chances yesterday I'll never know but I don't think we are far away from clicking.

Not playing a proper holding midfielder will always have a negative impact on other midfielders. Ozzy was presumably tired and therefore on the bench, but nobody should underestimate how difficult it can be for someone like McGinn once he loses the freedom that Ozzy would normally afford him...

By coincidence, I've just found this on the Guardian today. Even Chelsea are fragile when Matic is out.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jan/26/chelsea-weak-spot-defensive-midfield

Every time we take to the field without a dedicated defensive midfielder, we are going to be very lucky to take anything from the game. It was true when Murray left, it was true every time we've made Goodwin drop into defence without a replacement. We have two DMs in the squad, which should be enough, but not when we have no centre halves.

Conor Newton's sheer industry in that role helped in 2013, but it was papering over the cracks.

By coincidence, I've just found this on the Guardian today. Even Chelsea are fragile when Matic is out.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jan/26/chelsea-weak-spot-defensive-midfield

Every time we take to the field without a dedicated defensive midfielder, we are going to be very lucky to take anything from the game. It was true when Murray left, it was true every time we've made Goodwin drop into defence without a replacement. We have two DMs in the squad, which should be enough, but not when we have no centre halves.

Conor Newton's sheer industry in that role helped in 2013, but it was papering over the cracks.

Funnily enough, during the game on Saturday, my mate commented that what we were were crying out for was an in his prime Shuggie.

• 3 months later...

The word I almost used in my match report to describe that was thuderbastard. Went for blockbuster, thunderbolt and crackerjack instead.

Incredible hit, can't remember the last time I saw as good a strike as that from a Saints player. Wasn't t the game against Hearts where Carey scored.

Extend his contract now!

Edited by Stu

Is there a better teenager in Scotland?

If there is I haven't seen him.

No doubt the media will see some no mark in Celtic's reserves who has spent the last six months on loan at Brechin as the future of Scottish football.

The little drag back he pulled off in the first half was lovely to watch as well

I fully expect it to be on Soccer am in the showboat section. Perhaps along with his goal. If so the lad's stock just keeps rising.

I wonder if his contract has a get out clause of a jelly baby and a chocolate hobnob offer.whistling.gif