Stephen Mallan

TopCat

7 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Just for clarity. Your view on Gordon Scott is that any of his business dealings in property or suchlike have no bearing. He clearly knows bugger-all about football transfers. Underneath a useless chairman, we have an equally useless CEO whose appointment is a charade and should be ended immediately.

We can deduce all of this because they may have to let go a player to an English Championship side for an initial fee that may be in the region of 200k - 300k with unknown add-ons, bonuses for appearances, or a sell-on cut.

Can you tell us what you think GLS and Tony Fitzpatrick should be doing to get an initial fee of 500k - 1m for Stevie Mallan?

For a start they can tell chancers like Barnsley where to stick such a derisory offer for the most talented player in the Scottish Championship. Scouts will have seen Mallan and reported back on his worth and value, I have no doubt he is worth multiples of 200k. Equally I have no doubt he will move on this summer but when are we going to say enough's enough and sell players for their real value?  We've had our share of baw bootings with the ridiculous under valuations of players in the past. 

I had forgot McGinn, sure McLean was linked too.

More in the sense he didn't want to go, but he would go abroad for nothing if we didn't give him the gentleman's agreement we did.

Certainly a risk we don't want to be taking with Mallan. We should take the 200-300k and a tasty big sell on clause.

I'm sure Owen Coyle was involved. Was he manager somewhere in the states?

Think it was him and his old pal Darren Jackson (John's agent) up to usa jiggery-pokery to frighten us into lowering our compensation expectation

15 minutes ago, doonhamer said:

For a start they can tell chancers like Barnsley where to stick such a derisory offer for the most talented player in the Scottish Championship. Scouts will have seen Mallan and reported back on his worth and value, I have no doubt he is worth multiples of 200k. Equally I have no doubt he will move on this summer but when are we going to say enough's enough and sell players for their real value?  We've had our share of baw bootings with the ridiculous under valuations of players in the past. 

How do you know that they haven't?

The OTT slabberings that surface when one of our players is rumoured to be getting transferred, usually end up with the individuals responsible, looking a tad daft, when the club's actual version of events reach the media.

55 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Aye.  He has hee-haw experience of being a CEO.  It was a bizzare appointment in the first place, if the proposed transfer fee is true this would probably be a good moment to end this particular charade.

So your objection is his limited experience as a CEO ?   Who is your ideal CEO ? Is it that you want Brian Caldwell back ?

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

22 minutes ago, doonhamer said:

You dont really understand selling do you ?  Any commodity (for thats what Stevie is) is only worth what a purchaser is willing to pay. If you price something too high then prospective buyers will simply look elsewhere.

I`m gutted to see Mallan go and as ive said previously i think £200k (if that is the figure) is too low. but do we keep- an unsettled player and hope the development fee surpasses the offer now ?

Let him go with good feeling towards the club and how we handled his development, get some cash in and show the next lot of Mallans that Saints are a club they should sign for to progress their career.

27 minutes ago, doonhamer said:

All players have zero value at all until an offer is made. If Barnsley offered £200k and there are no other offers, then £200k is his value.

1 minute ago, Thorizaar said:

All players have zero value at all until an offer is made. If Barnsley offered £200k and there are no other offers, then £200k is his value.

i would tweak that a bit. If £200k is offered and accepted then that's his value. We don't have to accept £200k. Dundee offered way less and it was knocked back as it was not his value.

How do you know that they haven't?

The OTT slabberings that surface when one of our players is rumoured to be getting transferred, usually end up with the individuals responsible, looking a tad daft, when the club's actual version of events reach the media.

It's the same everytime.

Young player arrives in first team.

He gets labelled "best ever talent to come through".

He signs 3 year contract everyone says well done club.

We get 1/2 good seasons out of said youngster then people say give him a new contract.

Youngster doesn't take contract and has heard of interest from a n other club.

Youngster hits dip in form.

Fans say he's useless and can go for free.

Rumours of a n other club interest goes away.

Player hits form again and interest comes back.

Fans value of the star youngster as the same as world debt, after all we'd earn that if he just stayed. So toys go out the pram at the ridiculous price we accept.

Club make statement an most people accept the position they were in. One or two continue to point at Hamilton and the millions they got for the 2 James' and slate the people in charge of our club for giving away our star youngsters.

Scouts will have seen Mallan and reported back on his worth and value, I have no doubt he is worth multiples of 200k.

Two obvious points then:

1. Where are the other bids? If so many have seen him, why are we only ever hearing about Barnsley? No side reports, no links, no leaks, no twitter rumours and indeed absolutely nothing else anywhere about another club making an offer. There's always a thread, nothing stays too secret long if actual bids are in.

2. Perhaps you wouldn't cut it as a Scout. If you're valuation is so far from the baseline, however it was set, then no club would take your valuation seriously.

We can't just say "f**k off, Chelsea paid 500K for a kid" and wait like it's Football Manager. You have to look at us, where we are, Stevie's overall game, what is a club interested in, who that club are, what would players from clubs around us go for. Hard facts are that Stevie's recent form has seen the reported bid be 200K to 300K up front with decent add-ons instead of 80K with token add-ons. The lad Gilmour might go to Chelsea, end up on loan at Vitesse after a while, return and drop down the leagues. Chelsea can take that gamble, not to mention they can believe the bullshit that because he's at Rangers he's worth more and has huge potential. Maybe he has, but a lot of that 500K is due to the bullshit. We're miles from being perceived like that and Barnsley are evidently not going to throw money at players if there's no market indicators or pressure driving them to do so.

I'm sure Owen Coyle was involved. Was he manager somewhere in the states?

Think it was him and his old pal Darren Jackson (John's agent) up to usa jiggery-pokery to frighten us into lowering our compensation expectation

Yup, Owen was at Houston and had McGinn over.

6 minutes ago, TsuMirren said:

Two obvious points then:

1. Where are the other bids? If so many have seen him, why are we only ever hearing about Barnsley? No side reports, no links, no leaks, no twitter rumours and indeed absolutely nothing else anywhere about another club making an offer. There's always a thread, nothing stays too secret long if actual bids are in.

2. Perhaps you wouldn't cut it as a Scout. If you're valuation is so far from the baseline, however it was set, then no club would take your valuation seriously.

We can't just say "f**k off, Chelsea paid 500K for a kid" and wait like it's Football Manager. You have to look at us, where we are, Stevie's overall game, what is a club interested in, who that club are, what would players from clubs around us go for. Hard facts are that Stevie's recent form has seen the reported bid be 200K to 300K up front with decent add-ons instead of 80K with token add-ons. The lad Gilmour might go to Chelsea, end up on loan at Vitesse after a while, return and drop down the leagues. Chelsea can take that gamble, not to mention they can believe the bullshit that because he's at Rangers he's worth more and has huge potential. Maybe he has, but a lot of that 500K is due to the bullshit. We're miles from being perceived like that and Barnsley are evidently not going to throw money at players if there's no market indicators or pressure driving them to do so.

1.The transfer window hasn't opened yet so maybe the club are being a little premature in doing the deal, IF, in fact, they have done so.

2. It doesn't matter the valuation anyone puts on a player. If the interest is there. We do need to wait until we see if that is the case. We need to market the lad and make sure his skills and attributes are widely advertised so that we maximise this interest. I hope his agent is doing this but it's in our interest to compliment this as, the more his skills are in the public eye, the better chance there is for a bidding war, or at least, a couple more clubs come a calling. Where any player ends up after sold is nothing we can influence.

1.The transfer window hasn't opened yet so maybe the club are being a little premature in doing the deal, IF, in fact, they have done so.
2. It doesn't matter the valuation anyone puts on a player. If the interest is there. We do need to wait until we see if that is the case. We need to market the lad and make sure his skills and attributes are widely advertised so that we maximise this interest. I hope his agent is doing this but it's in our interest to compliment this as, the more his skills are in the public eye, the better chance there is for a bidding war, or at least, a couple more clubs come a calling. Where any player ends up after sold is nothing we can influence.

His skills are all over the public eye, he scores free kicks and a fair number of goals from open play. He can also pick out a pass. I've often felt he should move up top and model himself on Le Tissier. I'm not going to analyse him too much on here though, not exactly the responsible thing to do. Needless to say though that scouts and other clubs will analyse the things that we, naturally, as fans will gloss over.

He could if he went abroad. I remember going to the USA was an option for Kenny McLean at the end of his contract here, and he would have went there for nothing.

I remember it as an option for John McGinn, but hugely unlikely for a player that age to go to that level when he should be furthering his career.

52 minutes ago, Hambud said:

It's the same everytime.

Young player arrives in first team.

He gets labelled "best ever talent to come through".

He signs 3 year contract everyone says well done club.

We get 1/2 good seasons out of said youngster then people say give him a new contract.

Youngster doesn't take contract and has heard of interest from a n other club.

Youngster hits dip in form.

Fans say he's useless and can go for free.

Rumours of a n other club interest goes away.

Player hits form again and interest comes back.

Fans value of the star youngster as the same as world debt, after all we'd earn that if he just stayed. So toys go out the pram at the ridiculous price we accept.

Club make statement an most people accept the position they were in. One or two continue to point at Hamilton and the millions they got for the 2 James' and slate the people in charge of our club for giving away our star youngsters.

No one on here knows the details of Hamilton's deals or how much cash they got up front. It could very well be that they only got a few hundred thousand and the add ons made this up to a potential million pound deal and Hamilton released details saying the players had been sold for loadsamoney.  

I remember it as an option for John McGinn, but hugely unlikely for a player that age to go to that level when he should be furthering his career.

Pretty sure the MLS is a higher level than the Scottish Championship.

As has been said, he could go anywhere outside the UK for free in 12 months. Best we don't risk that.

2 hours ago, doonhamer said:

This is what I mean - all of us think Mallan is a talent, worth 500k / a million / two million / a zillion. I get that. None of us, fans, chairman, Fitzy, SMiSA, the tea ladies, want to see talented players depart, certainly not on the cheap. I also get that. What I do not get, is how GLS and Fitzy can effectively tell Barnsley to fcuk off unless they come back with 750k or whatever. Not these days. They might want to, but they need to perform a balancing act here - Mallan and his agent, and any suitors, are in pole position here. Back in the day, Stevie Clarke would go to Chelsea for big money, Fergie would go to Rangers for big money, but the facts are, we are a second tier club who were battling relegation. Mallan shone brightly for a relatively short period, as did the entire team. Scottish football is skint, rooked. Players and agents hold the aces...

Look, I reckon Mallan is worth around £500k in an initial fee, with a deal struck to secure a percentage add-on to us in any future deal, but I can think that all day long... if Barnsley don't agree, then what would I do if I were in GLS or Fitzy's shoes? Haggle... do my best... argue the case... 

I am sure GLS and Fitzy will do what they can. Why wouldn't they? As chairman and CEO they are required to act in the best interests of St Mirren FC, but they just cannot tell folk to fcuk off and come back with a better offer. Not in the modern world they can't.  If they think they can get a better deal, I'm sure they'll do everything in their power to secure that better deal. Why would they roll over and take it up the arse if they think they can do something?

Edited by pozbaird

Ohhhhhh Wee Stevie Mallan,  should stay for another season on a three year deal with double his existing wages and a release clause at £1m or on us achieving promotion.

Jack Ross is undoubtedly the right person for the lad who has improved brilliantly under his guidance and Barnsley has nothing to offer in football or in any other way.  Who has heard of their manager Paul Heckinbottom and is his journeyman background (nothing wrong with that) the right thing for someone who is going to be a top class player.  Better to continue with Jack for now but make sure he has a route out when he is ready to leave next year.

Go on Stevie, you know it makes sense!

12 minutes ago, Hagleybuddies said:

Ohhhhhh Wee Stevie Mallan,  should stay for another season on a three year deal with double his existing wages and a release clause at £1m or on us achieving promotion.

Jack Ross is undoubtedly the right person for the lad who has improved brilliantly under his guidance and Barnsley has nothing to offer in football or in any other way.  Who has heard of their manager Paul Heckinbottom and is his journeyman background (nothing wrong with that) the right thing for someone who is going to be a top class player.  Better to continue with Jack for now but make sure he has a route out when he is ready to leave next year.

I'd love to see Stevie Mallan stay with us for another year, I think between Jack Ross and Stevie McGinn he could really develop in that time. The problem is what kind of message does it send to players like Morgan and Magennis - that we'll keep a hold off them no matter what. That could end up that Mallan, Morgan and Magennis all walk away when their contracts expire then other young promising players look at us as a modern day Dundee United when under Jim McLean they tied young players up on one hundred year contracts.

We have to be realistic, if there's a clause in the contract saying Stevie van go to another team if there's an offer in excess of £x, we should honour that contract even if it was the previous board that negotiated it.

21 minutes ago, Hagleybuddies said:

Jack Ross was the very definition of a journeyman player and Stevie seems to have progressed pretty well under his guidance.

Barnsley will offer Stevie a lot more than we can in footballing and financial terms...are they a big club? No they're not but that's perfect for us as the likelihood is that he'll be playing week in week out for them and if he's doing well, gain a lot of exposure. He gets the chance to go out there next season and show what he can do against genuine big name sides like Aston Villa, Leeds, Sunderland and Middlesborough.

Look at Aaron Mooy, Huddersfield aren't exactly one of the showbiz names in that league but he was their POTY and led them to the playoffs, possibly still even to the Premier League. If Mooy wasn't a Man City player, Huddersfield would be looking at cashing in with a genuine £10m+ sum for him....ridiculous stuff when you consider he couldn't even get a game for us a few years ago but that's what one season in the Championship down there can do for you.

I love the lad and I wish he'd stay...it's his time to go then and he's going to the right league and the right size of club. I've no doubt in my mind he'll go down there, make a go of it and we'll be seeing him in the Premier League within 2 or 3 seasons.

Rumours are exactly that, rumours.

I'm sure the current board won't sell a prized asset for peanuts.

Speculation from Sky Sports, report from BBC, mentioned on twitter. I'll only pay any interest when an official statement from the club or the player comes out.