Stephen Mallan

TopCat

26 minutes ago, norrie82 said:

So you bring a lad on from age 6 and then when he gets really good you give him away for peanuts.  We've done this with McLean and Mcginn both Scottish international players now?  What is the point. We got another crap fee for mcallister too. So you think any other club like  hibs,motherwell, Dundee United, Hamilton would let this happen. It's absolutely disgraceful if he leaves for this amount and it seems pointless to rear local talent then basically give them away. 200k for kenny, 100,000 john mcginn?  Absolute pish

Precious few players stay long enough at a club to earn a testimonial now. I am as happy viewing Ralston as a place where probably hundreds of kids will train and develop going through the different age groups and for most of them won't end up being professionals but will have been well coached and be good players and have got a decent level of fitness and then the cream of the crop at Ralston will end up playing football professionally, hopefully with St Mirren if they are decent, or finding a team a level below us if things don't work out at the club (eg Thomas Reilly), and the absolute cream of the crop will go on and play at a higher level than St Mirren play at (McGinn and McLean being good recent examples). For me, whether or not we got as much money as we would have liked it was thanks to Ralston that Kenny McLean played for 4 or 5 seasons for us, John McGinn played with us for 3 seasons, and in the last 4 or 5 years Ralston has brought through other first team players like Marc McAusland, John Baird, Sean Kelly, Jason Naismith, Kyle McAllister, Kyle Magennis, Thomas Reilly, Stevie Mallan, most of whom played with us for 3 or 4 seasons as first team regulars and I am happy that as a club that rather than go down the route of filling our squad with loanees or journeymen that Ralston has meant that every year for the last 6 or 7 seasons that young local players have become an important and sometimes sizeable part of our first team squad.

While I share your disappointment with the fees we got in the end for Kenny McLean and John McGinn as far as I am concerned we gave them both their break at first team SPL level and once they broke into the first team we gave them better deals and longer deals and in this day and age it is hard to keep players on long contracts, especially when we were never an established SPL top 6 club who could be certain of being comfortably clear from relegation battles most seasons. Players and their agents hold most of the aces nowadays.

The return of Stephen McGinn should also serve to remind us that even when we lose exciting young prospects from Ralston cheaply to clubs able to offer significantly better wages than we can that the goodwill earned by developing and nurturing a talented teenager and giving them their break and allowing them to move on (rather than freezing them out the team until they sign an extension) can reap rewards further down the line. Who knows if in future we might see a few Ralston products like McLean, P McGinn or J McGinn, McAllister and Mallan (and Morgan) return to play for the club that gave them their start in the game for another few seasons?

6 minutes ago, HSS said:

I would imagine Stevie would live in Leeds and commute to Barnsley.

There's a lot of big towns and cities around Barnsley. I've only ever been to Leeds and York in Yorkshire, really liked both. I'm sure Barnsley is fine. Probably like a lot of places in the UK - good bits and bad bits. Bet there's a ton of cracking countryside on its doorstep though.

Just now, pozbaird said:

Posted without reasing whydowebother's post. I was trying to be diplomatic. OK, it's official, Barnsley is a dump... B)

They're not even in for City of Culture 2021.:lol:

Pretty sure the MLS is a higher level than the Scottish Championship.

As has been said, he could go anywhere outside the UK for free in 12 months. Best we don't risk that.

Pretty sure that's of no relevance to my post, but carry on misunderstanding simple posts...

2 minutes ago, pod said:

Leeds is an even bigger shitehole but I've never been :blink:

Neither have I.

Went to York for a Shed 7 gig many years ago......maybe Stevie should live there.

12 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Please fill us all in on how the old board profited from selling players on the cheap.

Are you being serious :lol: lets no go there again, the old board are gone now:happyclapperor just about anyway as its costing me £12 a month, its a new dawn now no more budgeting for 11th place in the top league, now we budget for being the best we can be, while playing attractive football, and bringing back the feel good factor  in Gord we trust, so good luck wee stevie mallan at just 21 you are already a St Mirren legend, Kyle Magennis the baton is yours my son,

5 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Are you being serious :lol: lets no go there again, the old board are gone now:happyclapper

I would seriously like to know how you think the old BoD profited from selling players on the cheap.

Go on, let us know. I could do with a good laugh.

I'd also like someone to name a single player that St. Mirren have sold on the cheap who has then go on to make his next club a large profit in the transfer market.

Just one.

Whilst getting some cash in for Stevie and probably Lewis, its not the be all. JR worked his miracles on wheeling and dealing and I am sure he will again be looking at replacements.

As for any young talent we have, I hope they go on to further their careers and potential, just as McGinn and Kenny did, we will always be a feeder club, just like every other team in Scotland.

I just hope the moves the boys pick is the right one for them.... Mallan has been simply brill

Barnsley would easily be top 4 in Scotland