Stephen Mallan

TopCat

Talent wise I think he's the best player I've seen at St Mirren park in 20 years. No other player could have a highlight reel half as good as that made for him.

It's a bit of misfortune on Stevie's part that his breakthrough has coincided with 3 of the worst St Mirren seasons in a long time, so he may not be remembered as fondly as others who played in better teams.

It's telling though that he got the move to the English Championship and other players didn't.

Midfielders who score double figure goals in consecutive seasons are hard to come by. We waited years for one to come along and I suspect we will be waiting years for the next one.

59 minutes ago, pod said:

Maybe he opted to remain with us till end of season, to see us to safety. Deal was probably always on the table. My own opinion of course. 

Your probably right on that,  and just as well we had a new board in place or he`d have been on the first train south in January, and we would now be waiting on the league 1 fixtures coming out :whistle

Lewis Morgan got 10 in all comps this season. Lets hope he makes it 2 in a row.

Lewis is a winger right enough, not a replacement for Mallan.

He and Magennis are fantastic talents though. Hope to see Kyle play more centrally next year and I think he could make double figures.

3 minutes ago, TopCat said:

I didn't say he was a replacement for Mallan. I replied to your post that "Midfielders who score double figure goals in consecutive seasons are hard to come by."

Morgan is a midfielder albeit a wide-playing one. He got double figures in goals this season, I'm sure we all hope that's the first of many.

23 minutes ago, TopCat said:

He and Magennis are fantastic talents though. Hope to see Kyle play more centrally next year and I think he could make double figures.

Rather see him scoring goals. :rolleyes:

Inevitable he was going to go and equally inevitable it would be for an undisclosed fee. Smashing player who will be fondly remembered. Personally up there with Dorman as the best attacking midfielder I have seen since Ferguson. Just hope he breaks through at Barnsley. The championship is an attritional physical league which will be tough for Stevie initially. Would be disappointing to see him back up the road at the likes of Dundee or the Fakes in 18 months time like so many from up here before him, but that's not our problem and out with our control. We have had our pleasure from watching him and the club have played this well sending out a positive message to other young talents.

Really disappointed once again at one of our talents being sold for basically peanuts in this day and age.Christ we paid a record fee of around £175k to Clydebank almost forty years ago when the average annual salary was only around £5k now it's around five to six times that.Surely we should be receiving decent fees for our promising young players and yes don't forget Stevie has actually played in our top league and scored a wonder individual goal at Dens.We as a club just continue to act non professional in our outlook and I am now seriously considering
whether to renew my season ticket.As a Shareholder and SMISA Member after the feel good factor of just two weeks ago I am now utterly deflated.

8 minutes ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

Really disappointed once again at one of our talents being sold for basically peanuts in this day and age.Christ we paid a record fee of around £175k to Clydebank almost forty years ago when the average annual salary was only around £5k now it's around five to six times that.Surely we should be receiving decent fees for our promising young players and yes don't forget Stevie has actually played in our top league and scored a wonder individual goal at Dens.We as a club just continue to act non professional in our outlook and I am now seriously considering
whether to renew my season ticket.As a Shareholder and SMISA Member after the feel good factor of just two weeks ago I am now utterly deflated.

Spat dummy alert in West Calder.:lol:

And I may add FFS!

5 minutes ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

whether to renew my season ticket.
As a Shareholder and SMISA Member after the feel good factor of just two weeks ago I am now utterly deflated.

I assume you had the same response when Mclean, McGinn, McAllister went ? 

And moving forward, are you going to throw your teddy out every time one of our youngsters moves on to further their career ?   If you dont renew i assume you are going to continue to support your team on a week by week basis ? or is that off the table also ?

9 minutes ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

A bit over the top MCS. You can only get what people are prepared to pay and, unlike almost 40 years ago, the ball is firmly in the player's court. I hope Saints have negotiated a very lucrative add on/sell on clause but we simply couldn't stop Stevie from going.

1 hour ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

Did you have a seat plaque removed too?

2 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I assume you had the same response when Mclean, McGinn, McAllister went ? 

And moving forward, are you going to throw your teddy out every time one of our youngsters moves on to further their career ?   If you dont renew i assume you are going to continue to support your team on a week by week basis ? or is that off the table also ?

So we should continue to sell for really very little cash. I would like to see our Team that spends years working with the Mallan and the mcginns be compensated fairly.  I'd have thought you might too but your a typical happy clapper who just can't see anything wrong or have anyone say anything against the saints.  Well look I get the problem is contract length but I think everyone knows it's an undisclosed fee because it's a rather shit fee 

2 hours ago, stlucifer said:

A bit over the top MCS. You can only get what people are prepared to pay and, unlike almost 40 years ago, the ball is firmly in the player's court. I hope Saints have negotiated a very lucrative add on/sell on clause but we simply couldn't stop Stevie from going.

I'm unsure sell ons work. I mean o brien and mcnamee never made it at Blackburn.  Stevie is a huge talent but I feel he will be a few years away from making us cash as he will need to get in the barnsley team and play great to move on. He will do this but it will possibly be a long while off. Depends on the terms really if there's a limit on the deal

What other recent deals, that don't involve the old firm, have been for large fees? The Hamilton deals were years ago. Agents and scouts who I've spoken to operate in Scotland and say the market is dead, perhaps they're wrong,

Quick check, Greg Stewart from Dundee to Birmingham City is possibly the best comparison. He went for 500K, potentially rising to £1 million, having scored 22 in 71 games. He was also nominated twice for the PFA Players' Player of the Year Award. Dundee of course were in the top flight and had finished 8th the season before Greg left.

18 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Gordon Scott is no full

The irony made me chuckle.

12 minutes ago, norrie82 said:

I'm unsure sell ons work.

DU are about to get close to £1M from Hull selling Robertson to Liverpool

Hamilton got much the same when the turmcoat McCarthy went from Wigan to Everton.

Celtic could get £5M if Van Dijk goes for £50M as has been widely touted.

Edited by Eric Arthur Blair