Stephen Mallan

TopCat

9 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

The irony made me chuckle.

DU are about to get close to £1M from Hull selling Robertson to Liverpool

Hamilton got much the same when the turmcoat McCarthy went from Wigan to Everton.

Celtic could get £5M if Van Dijk goes for £50M as has been widely touted.

Maybe I'm wrong and will hold my hands up if I am. Where do you stand putting into consideration we don't know what the deal is ? 

Just now, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Maybe I'm wrong and will hold my hands up if I am. Where do you stand putting into consideration we don't know what the deal is ? 

I don't know what the deal is either. I was replying to a post stating that "add-ons don't work" and, to refute that, gave some examples where they have benefited the selling club.

23 minutes ago, norrie82 said:

I'm unsure sell ons work. I mean o brien and mcnamee never made it at Blackburn. 

They never made it because Souness decided SMFC were not getting another penny.They'd have played a lot more if there was no sell on clause.

8 hours ago, TsuMirren said:

About as complete a comment as his report on the Argentinians was. A half story is a lazy story.

It is factually correct though.Obviously the past board get paid quicker but does this mean the fans buy out from Gordon happens quicker.

I have never seen such a consistently talented striker of a ball than young stevie Mallan. A great number of his free kicks were sensational and right up there with best goals seen scored by a St Mirren player. A true pleasure to have seen him play for the buddies in the last few years.

I don't think I will see his likes again and I think as supporters we won't realise just how brilliant a player he was until he has gone, as is almost always the case.

I think in time Stevie will make a success of his move to England and long term have a very good career. Young Lappin was a talented youngster, not as much as stevie though, and he went to England and made quite a bit of money in his time there. Didn't play much at Norwich but came back north after making quite a tidy living for a few years. I think Mallan has got more to his game and will do reasonably well in England.

It's fair to say that Barnsley have got a bit of a bargain.

I wish Stevie Mallan all the very best and will watch his career with interest. Good luck Stevie!

6 hours ago, HSS said:

They never made it because Souness decided SMFC were not getting another penny.They'd have played a lot more if there was no sell on clause.

Wasn't there a change in management, hence they didn't fit in. 

It is factually correct though.Obviously the past board get paid quicker but does this mean the fans buy out from Gordon happens quicker.

It's partially factually correct, if Graeme had done some research he'd know that. He makes it appear to be the full fee, which isn't the case. The former board will be paid quicker, but they'll only receive a % of the fee. This doesn't though impact upon the to timescales of our agreement to buy Gordon's shares. The only thing, currently anyway, that will speed that up would be SMISA having the full amount required and being in a position to conclude the deal earlier.

1 hour ago, northendsaint said:

Dreading the though, members arguing over how much a players worth, telling said player they're not leaving till we get what we want. You'll have fair idea what will happen after that.   

Several people on here over the years have been slagging off the youth academy at St Mirren but they haven't done too badly for the club recently.

We must have made £750k from the sale of Kenny McLean, John McGinn, Kyle McCallister and Stevie Mallan.

Plus we have Baird, Morgan and McGennis playing regularly and contributing to the first team with more coming through the ranks.

Well done to all the coaches and staff behind the scenes at the youth academy. Keep up the good work!

33 minutes ago, TsuMirren said:

It's partially factually correct, if Graeme had done some research he'd know that. He makes it appear to be the full fee, which isn't the case. The former board will be paid quicker, but they'll only receive a % of the fee. This doesn't though impact upon the to timescales of our agreement to buy Gordon's shares. The only thing, currently anyway, that will speed that up would be SMISA having the full amount required and being in a position to conclude the deal earlier.

I take it that after the existing buyout that SMiSA are committed to buying out GLS presumably at the same price - pro-rata that'd be another £120k.

What is the new timescale for the existing buyout and the subsequent buyout of GLS?

5 minutes ago, Mr Zo said:

Several people on here over the years have been slagging off the youth academy at St Mirren but they haven't done too badly for the club recently.

We must have made £750k from the sale of Kenny McLean, John McGinn, Kyle McCallister and Stevie Mallan.

Plus we have Baird, Morgan and McGennis playing regularly and contributing to the first team with more coming through the ranks.

Well done to all the coaches and staff behind the scenes at the youth academy. Keep up the good work!

As far as I know , all the players you mentioned were signed by David Longwell . 

Hopefully Alan McManus has a similar eye for a player .

8 hours ago, norrie82 said:

So we should continue to sell for really very little cash. I would like to see our Team that spends years working with the Mallan and the mcginns be compensated fairly.  I'd have thought you might too but your a typical happy clapper who just can't see anything wrong or have anyone say anything against the saints.  Well look I get the problem is contract length but I think everyone knows it's an undisclosed fee because it's a rather shit fee 

Its got nothing to do with being a happy clapper , its to do with being a realist and having an understanding of how these things work. You can only sell a commodity for what someone is willing to pay. I didnt see a host of other clubs queuing up to bid for Stevie ... unless you know different.

He was offered a contract by us, he knocked it back to further his career elsewhere & who can blame him. What were our options , hold on to him till next year & hope the development fee was decent ?  

11 hours ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

Really disappointed once again at one of our talents being sold for basically peanuts in this day and age.Christ we paid a record fee of around £175k to Clydebank almost forty years ago when the average annual salary was only around £5k now it's around five to six times that.Surely we should be receiving decent fees for our promising young players and yes don't forget Stevie has actually played in our top league and scored a wonder individual goal at Dens.We as a club just continue to act non professional in our outlook and I am now seriously considering
whether to renew my season ticket.As a Shareholder and SMISA Member after the feel good factor of just two weeks ago I am now utterly deflated.

I am sorry to read that you are considering on not renewing your season ticket MCS but I feel you are maybe being a little naive here. Mallan wants to go so we cannot keep him any longer that his contract of 12 months. And do we want to have a player who does not want to be here? In 12 months we get a development fee which I assume, without knowing the figures, would be a hell of a lot less than selling him now. Not one other Club has shown any interest in Mallan besides HIbs who cannot afford him as Scottish football is not now what it was 40 years ago. Does Mallan not deserve his chance and greater income for his talent and services? I expected him gone last January so having him for another 6 months and his goals keeping us up have been a bonus for me. Sure I would have liked to have got £2 million for him - the problem is no club thinks he is worth £2m. A decent sell-on clause is how things are going to be for young Scottish footballers from now on I reckon.

I am excited for the new season and hope your enthusiasm rekindles and you do purchase your season ticket. - preferably in the West Bank so we can keep it all Saints fans.

30 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I am sorry to read that you are considering on not renewing your season ticket MCS but I feel you are maybe being a little naive here. Mallan wants to go so we cannot keep him any longer that his contract of 12 months. And do we want to have a player who does not want to be here? In 12 months we get a development fee which I assume, without knowing the figures, would be a hell of a lot less than selling him now. Not one other Club has shown any interest in Mallan besides HIbs who cannot afford him as Scottish football is not now what it was 40 years ago. Does Mallan not deserve his chance and greater income for his talent and services? I expected him gone last January so having him for another 6 months and his goals keeping us up have been a bonus for me. Sure I would have liked to have got £2 million for him - the problem is no club thinks he is worth £2m. A decent sell-on clause is how things are going to be for young Scottish footballers from now on I reckon.

I am excited for the new season and hope your enthusiasm rekindles and you do purchase your season ticket. - preferably in the West Bank so we can keep it all Saints fans.

Aye, this is pretty much the size of it.

I threw the rattle out the pram when McLean was sold, but it was more about the timing (and the daft 'gentlemens agreement' pish). I remember being mocked (probably by faraway) for my doom-laden prediction that it all but sealed our relegation fate....

Much as we'll miss Mallan, and would have craved a bigger fee, the timing is spot-on. If the sale had gone through in January, I wonder where we might be now.

Time to move on.

1 hour ago, Mr Zo said:

We must have made £750k from the sale of Kenny McLean, John McGinn, Kyle McCallister and Stevie Mallan

That's where a lot of us have a problem though. If, for talking sake, 750k is correct for those four players, then it feels like being raped up the arse, when some Sevco fifteen year old on his own can fetch £500k. 

I am someone who has defended GLS and Fitzy in regard to the players and agents holding the aces these days, and I am not sticking the boot into them, but 750k for four talents like those feels like a real sickener.

St Mirren aren't taking one step forward and two back, but it sure as hell feels like a constant cycle of stepping sideways time after time after time. As soon as a wee sniff of feelgood factor and a step forward arrives - wham. There goes the latest talent for half the price other clubs seem able to secure. What's the solution though? I don't see any actual solution, only a hope that those in the club responsible for negotiating these transfers are indeed doing their absolute best. I sense that a lot of the disquiet in our support could be down to the feeling that if McLean, Mallan, McAllister and McGinn had been on, let's say, Motherwell FCs books, then they would have been sold for 500k-ish each, not four for 750k. IMHO that is the perception, that yes, we are a selling club, but a selling club who are something of a soft touch who sell on the cheap. I use the word 'perception' deliberately.

Edited by pozbaird

37 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

That's where a lot of us have a problem though. If, for talking sake, 750k is correct for those four players, then it feels like being raped up the arse, when some Sevco fifteen year old on his own can fetch £500k.

I am someone who has defended GLS and Fitzy in regard to the players and agents holding the aces these days, and I am not sticking the boot into them, but 750k for four talents like those feels like a real sickener.

St Mirren aren't taking one step forward and two back, but it sure as hell feels like a constant cycle of stepping sideways time after time after time. As soon as a wee sniff of feelgood factor and a step forward arrives - wham. There goes the latest talent for half the price other clubs seem able to secure. What's the solution though? I don't see any actual solution, only a hope that those in the club responsible for negotiating these transfers are indeed doing their absolute best. I sense that a lot of the disquiet in our support could be down to the feeling that if McLean, Mallan, McAllister and McGinn had been on, let's say, Motherwell FCs books, then they would have been sold for 500k-ish each, not four for 750k. IMHO that is the perception, that yes, we are a selling club, but a selling club who are something of a soft touch who sell on the cheap. I use the word 'perception' deliberately.

I doubt we can command anywhere near that sort of fee when the two most recent sales were by a club who avoided relegation to the third tier in Scotland on GD on the final day of the season. We were very nearly a third tier side and when at that level you would be lucky to see 100k for your star talent never mind 500k. People need to be realistic here. There was no other club bidding, the player wanted to go, the player only had a year of his contract left and we are the 19th ranked team in Scotland this season. We are where we are in the pecking order and when you take all that into account the fee paid for Mallan was understandable.

2 hours ago, Mr Zo said:

Not forgetting of course the potential of sell-on fee income from future sales of these players. 

18 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

I doubt we can command anywhere near that sort of fee when the two most recent sales were by a club who avoided relegation to the third tier in Scotland on GD on the final day of the season. We were very nearly a third tier side and when at that level you would be lucky to see 100k for your star talent never mind 500k. People need to be realistic here. There was no other club bidding, the player wanted to go, the player only had a year of his contract left and we are the 19th ranked team in Scotland this season. We are where we are in the pecking order and when you take all that into account the fee paid for Mallan was understandable.

This.

A star player who featured in a team that sat at the foot of the second tier of Scottish fitba for around 80% of the season won't have huge stock.

£200K - if that is the fee - is disappointing, but, on balance, probably not hugely anomalous in the circumstances.

9 minutes ago, Drew said:

This.

A star player who featured in a team that sat at the foot of the second tier of Scottish fitba for around 80% of the season won't have huge stock.

£200K - if that is the fee - is disappointing, but, on balance, probably not hugely anomalous surprising in the circumstances.

FFS!

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

FFS!

I am incredulous at the audacity you demonstrate in editing my post. If you cannot distinguish the linguistic and definitional character in my use of terminology, I can only assume that you are moderately to severely discombobulated.

Or, to put it another way, GIRFUY:booty

8 minutes ago, Drew said:

I am incredulous at the audacity you demonstrate in editing my post. If you cannot distinguish the linguistic and definitional character in my use of terminology, I can only assume that you are moderately to severely discombobulated.

Or, to put it another way, GIRFUY:booty

That's better. :clapping

Edited by faraway saint

Indeed, Longwell did a fantastic job. From hardly having any youngsters of first team quality 10 years ago we now have a glut of them.

Let's hope McManus does similarly well.