Stephen Mallan

TopCat

1 minute ago, bazil85 said:

Cause we always sign so many players for actual transfer fees...

It isn't just about fees. Its about the terms of the player contracts. Signing on fees, wages, bonuses....

2 minutes ago, Drew said:

It isn't just about fees. Its about the terms of the player contracts. Signing on fees, wages, bonuses....

That's all down to negotiations with players, board and agents.  I don't think undesclosing the fee will have any real impact. No agent is not going to know we got six figures for Mallan. 

10 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

That's all down to negotiations with players, board and agents.  I don't think undesclosing the fee will have any real impact. No agent is not going to know we got six figures for Mallan. 

Why take a risk when you do not have to? In business you do not tell competitors how much you are making if you want to get the best price. Agents know we sold Mallan but not for how much. Best to keep it that way as there is absolutely no benefit from shouting it from the rooftops and the possible benefits of pleading poverty.

20 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Aye, but if they think we have wads of cash, the demands might be more hefty/daft.

I'm not sure if its a huge issue, but something to consider.

29 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Why take a risk when you do not have to? In business you do not tell competitors how much you are making if you want to get the best price. Agents know we sold Mallan but not for how much. Best to keep it that way as there is absolutely no benefit from shouting it from the rooftops and the possible benefits of pleading poverty.

I'm not necessarily against the undisclosed, I just feel these things usually end up coming out in some form.  I'm just interested to know if anyone had heard anything through the grapevine so to speak.  Would probably say when it comes to player sales and agents, the likeliness of them getting this information anyway with their contacts is probably pretty high. 

Firstly I'm sad to lose a player of genuine quality and one that excites me as a fan when watching the team.

The award of a free kick anywhere within 25 yards of goal created a wee buzz of anticipation around the Saints fans home or away and I will definitely miss that.

From a club perspective though it's good to see these players getting a move to what is after all a very big league. Although it's the 2nd tier in England the money going around in that division is mind boggling. I'd be sure the Championship would be in the top 5 richest leagues in European football.

It says a lot about the work that David Longwell, and now Allan McManus and his team have done/are doing at Ralston that  we've had two graduates go to that league in the last 6 months.

McLean and McGinn have also went on to receive international honours since graduating from the academy and Jason Naismith is plying his trade in the top flight too.

It sends a message to existing players in the academy that if they are good enough and work hard enough they will get a chance, and if they get in the first team they can earn a move on to bigger clubs who can offer bigger rewards.

Secondly it says to prospective players and their parents that this is a club who can provide that platform. It has to be a great incentive for young players to join us over other clubs.

Thirdly we don't stand in the players way of moving on. Again this is important. We promised McLean he'd get his move if he signed a new contract and we promised Mallan in January that he'd get his move in the summer if Barnsley came back in.

So, all good.

The issue then is are we getting value from the players?

In McGinn's case the 33% sell-on clause could yet yield us a 7 figure bounty on top of the £100K we sold him for in the first place. The previous board were lambasted for the decision to sell him to Hibs for that amount but if he does leave Hibs for say £3m which is not unreasonable to expect, then it will bring us in far more than we could ever have sold him for.

McLean has a 10% sell on clause as part of his deal. Not quite in the same ball park as McGinn but still with a very good chance of getting a decent move South.

McAllister and Mallan are now down there playing in a league where clubs regularly buy and sell in terms of millions of pounds. Barnsley themselves sold John Stones to Everton for £3m and then coined in another £7m when Everton sold him to Man City.

They are just further up the food chain that we are.

It's always a gamble but I think both those lads have a real chance and if they do go on to become 1st team regulars then the easter egg could yet pay out handsomely on both.

I can't disclose what was in the Barnsley offer email they mistakenly sent me but suffice to say there were a number of components and incentives on the deal over and above just a plain up front fee and a sell on clause.

I always took the view that we would take around 10 years to see a return on then investment into the Ralston training facility in terms of players breaking into the first team on a regular basis, but we are well ahead of the where I would have expected us to have been as we've not just brought squad fillers through, but bona fide first team players.

Equally on the financial side we've recouped a good chunk of the initial investment, accepting that it has needed and still does need more spent on it, and if McGinn does move on for a good seven figure sum we are more than broke even on investment.

As Div says above when families looking at options for their players we are in a great position for the West of Scotland to say that any youngster in our setup gets all the opportunities to establish a good career for themselves and make it far as a footballer.

My only grumbles are that we seem to have an ability to churn out technical midfielders by the bucket load, but defenders are few and far between, and strikers are non existent.

52 minutes ago, madball said:

My only grumbles are that we seem to have an ability to churn out technical midfielders by the bucket load, but defenders are few and far between, and strikers are non existent.

It is the strangest thing isn't it?

Baird has all the makings of a very good defender, whilst Kelly, Naismith and McAusland were decent without ever being world beaters.

Up front though, next to nothing since we produced Basher and McGarry. Thomas Reilly about as good as we've produced.

Not had a keeper come through the ranks in donkeys either.

I just find it frustrating as hell. I have seen Stevie Clarke go to Chelsea for big money. McGarvey to Liverpool, Macca to West Ham, even Fitzy going to Bristol City when they were relatively 'big'. I am resigned to a post-Bosman life. I get it... 

I don't have to fcuking like it though.

4 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I just find it frustrating as hell. I have seen Stevie Clarke go to Chelsea for big money. McGarvey to Liverpool, Macca to West Ham, even Fitzy going to Bristol City when they were relatively 'big'. I am resigned to a post-Bosman life. I get it... 

I don't have to fcuking like it though.

To be fair though , we did spend some pretty decent amounts bringing players in also.

17 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

To be fair though , we did spend some pretty decent amounts bringing players in also.

Oh, I'm a realist! Genuinely - we nicked Fergie for what, £60,000 from Clyde, he wins the cup for us (effectively!), then he moves for £980,000? Clyde fans must have been pissed off at the time. It just seems all a bit depressing at the moment. I renewed my ST right away, but I'm already resigned to Lewis Morgan being next... probably for another undisclosed sum to fcuking Wycombe Wanderers or someone.

As I say, I understand it, but I don't have to bloody like this post-Bosman world. Feels like one step forward, then a step back the moment you get a whiff of feelgood factor in yer' nostrils.

Bah humbug, hurrumph... etc.

Edited by pozbaird

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Oh, I'm a realist! Genuinely - we nicked Fergie for what, £60,000 from Clyde, he wins the cup for us (effectively!), then he moves for £980,000? Clyde fans must have been pissed off at the time. It just seems all a bit depressing at the moment. I renewed my ST right away, but I'm already resigned to Lewis Morgan being next... probably for another undisclosed sum to fcuking Wycombe Wanderers or someone.

As I say, I understand it, but I don't have to bloody like this post-Bosman world. Feels like one step forward, then a step back the moment you get a whiff of feelgood factor in yer' nostrils.

Bah humbug, hurrumph... etc.

Booooooo. Boooooooo :)

Nothing is going to change much soon Poz. We once paid Falkirk £400K for Roddy Manly and over £300k to Motherwell for Wishart. Our last 'big money transfer' in over the last 20 years, if I remember correctly was Dougie Imrie from Hamilton for £30K. And that was the first time we had spent money on a transfer in years. Few clubs in Scotland can now afford a fee over £100K and the OF are more interested in foreign guys at 20 than Scottish ones. The 'hot' Scottish talent is now seen at 17 year olds (McAllister and countless guys from Falkirk), all heading South, and that is with a nominal fee with sell-on clauses. Think of the 17 year old players we signed from non-League teams that we made a fortune on and the Clubs we got them from made bugger all - Lambert, Linwood Boys' Club, and Clarke, Beith Juniors, to name two that made us 3/4 million between them. The good old days are gone and never seem set to return.

Just now, Sonny said:

Booooooo. Boooooooo :)

Nothing is going to change much soon Poz. We once paid Falkirk £400K for Roddy Manly and over £300k to Motherwell for Wishart. Our last 'big money transfer' in over the last 20 years, if I remember correctly was Dougie Imrie from Hamilton for £30K. And that was the first time we had spent money on a transfer in years. Few clubs in Scotland can now afford a fee over £100K and the OF are more interested in foreign guys at 20 than Scottish ones. The 'hot' Scottish talent is now seen at 17 year olds (McAllister and countless guys from Falkirk), all heading South, and that is with a nominal fee with sell-on clauses. Think of the 17 year old players we signed from non-League teams that we made a fortune on and the Clubs we got them from made bugger all - Lambert, Linwood Boys' Club, and Clarke, Beith Juniors, to name two that made us 3/4 million between them. The good old days are gone and never seem set to return.

Ach, fcuk it... Gie's a signing and gie's Joma Jack's fully-striped army battling at the other end of the table.....

....and when we sell all our remaining good players, gie's a million at least for them.

1 hour ago, div said:

It is the strangest thing isn't it?

Baird has all the makings of a very good defender, whilst Kelly, Naismith and McAusland were decent without ever being world beaters.

Up front though, next to nothing since we produced Basher and McGarry. Thomas Reilly about as good as we've produced.

Not had a keeper come through the ranks in donkeys either.

Strikers very hard for a club like us

2 big clubs hover up all the very best talent in our area

Lets be honest our better youth players have been released by the old scum along the way

They don't let their forward players go so easy as other positions though

It would need to be a dyed in the wool Buddies to get the young striker before the other two

Hence Basher and McGarry the last forwards we have had breaking through

21 hours ago, div said:

I can't disclose what was in the Barnsley offer email they mistakenly sent me but suffice to say there were a number of components and incentives on the deal over and above just a plain up front fee and a sell on clause.

Like, loaning him back to us for a season. :rolleyes:

34 minutes ago, David Mc said:

I had it confirmed at the time that Stickroth's fee was overstated by the media too.

Aye. £400000 too much. 

What a heap of shite he was