Stephen Mallan

TopCat

On 7/12/2017 at 5:49 PM, Saint Garf said:

They seem to be treating him like a big signing, he's doing interviews for the website, wee videos from the pre-season camp, modelling the strip. The club, if not the fans, seem to be quite sure he'll be a big player for them this season. I'm sure he will, he's got bags of ability, I reckon he'll go on to bigger things again soon.

Indeed, despite us getting hee-haw for him this time I am hopeful the sell on clause may actually pay off for once.

Mallan is the best player we have brought through since Paul Lambert.  He certainly has the potential to go all the way to the top - and certainly a lot more ability than Charlie Adam or Aaron Mooy, and look how much they went for in the English market!

First Barnsley need to get him off that bench!

Doesn't appear to be injured if you read the thread about Mallan on the main Barnsley fan forum - just not being picked.

His dad on Twitter making it clear he's fit and flying in training. Their manager has had some criticism from fans for not including him.

Indeed, despite us getting hee-haw for him this time I am hopeful the sell on clause may actually pay off for once.
Mallan is the best player we have brought through since Paul Lambert.  He certainly has the potential to go all the way to the top - and certainly a lot more ability than Charlie Adam or Aaron Mooy, and look how much they went for in the English market!
First Barnsley need to get him off that bench!

So if we got "Hee haw" for mallan what was the actual figure?

Just a thought but could it not just be that maybe Wee Stevie isn't as good as we thought he was? Or tgatvthe Championship in England is just a considerably higher standard than ours?

Either way I cannae imagine the Barnsley manager is sittin there thinkin "this is a smashin wee player but just out of spite I'm no gonnae play him". 

47 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Just a thought but could it not just be that maybe Wee Stevie isn't as good as we thought he was? Or tgatvthe Championship in England is just a considerably higher standard than ours?

Either way I cannae imagine the Barnsley manager is sittin there thinkin "this is a smashin wee player but just out of spite I'm no gonnae play him". 

It's a puzzler. Why go out and sign him if they didn't see him as a part of their plans. I happen to think he's good enough for their level and possibly higher but he needs games. Early days, I'm confident that if he gets a wee run he'll establish himself this season.

I think since signing him their manager has seen the gaps in Mallan's game exposed at a much higher level and will be coaching him to improve his overall game before throwing him in against a standard of player he hasnt played regularly against.

yes he's got a sweet dead ball shot/delivery, or open play shot from distance, but if you recall he could go almost a whole game getting caught in possesion and failing to make a short pass. No way he will get a run in a championship team until he has developed from there.

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Of course the championship is a considerably higher standard than ours.

League 1 and 2 players walk into the first XI of most of our top league clubs.

The considerable number of players that have "come back up the road" after being sold for much more money than Mallan is clear evidence of this. Stevie May and Stefan Scougall being the latest examples of this.

Mallan will have to bide his time and develop the areas of weakness in his game. As good as he was for us in 2017, he was very poor in the latter half of 2016. That shows that he's far from the finished article. However, I'm sure Mallan will get his head down and work hard to realise his full potential. Otherwise, he'll be back up the road in a couple of years playing for the likes of St.Johnstone or Hibs. 

Had a look on the Barnsley forum earlier. Doesnt seem to be any injury involved. Guys on there seem to think he is just quite a bit down the pecking order.

Think the sheer physical nature of English football at that level mitigates against players of Mallan's stature. If he played wide and had a turn of pace he'd have a better chance. Let's see but if he doesn't break through before Christmas he might be back up at the likes of Hibs.

Mallan is good enough for the English Championship, he isn't coming straight back up the road to play for Hibs ffs!

Shame that Stevie and Kyle McAllister are losing time playing for reserves or youth teams though.  Very frustrating we couldn't get another season or two of them at St Mirren, even if it is only on loan from their new clubs.

3 hours ago, David Mc said:

Think the sheer physical nature of English football at that level mitigates against players of Mallan's stature. If he played wide and had a turn of pace he'd have a better chance. Let's see but if he doesn't break through before Christmas he might be back up at the likes of Hibs.

Lot of small players did fine down South. Bremner, Gemmil, Beardsley. If you are good enough then you will do well.

15 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

Lot of small players did fine down South. Bremner, Gemmil, Beardsley. If you are good enough then you will do well.

3 hours ago, David Mc said:

Add to that Scholes who played in the middle of the park.