Stephen Mallan

TopCat

15 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

Lot of small players did fine down South. Bremner, Gemmil, Beardsley. If you are good enough then you will do well.

They did indeed, but these days there are less players of smaller stature, Messi apart, who are playing for top teams.

The physical side of the game now means players are usually more robust and stronger than in days gone by, like the players you mention.

Within three seasons from now. McAllister will join a club such as Falkirk or Partick Thistle, and Mallan will join a club such as St Johnstone or Dundee United (should they go up). In both cases, the players will issue statements along the lines of 'at this stage in my career I need to be playing first team football'. I say this meaning absolutely no disrespect to two players I admired in our stripes. IMHO though, they should have remained in our stripes for another season, maybe two seasons.

They both have the talent to make it, my personal opinion just happens to be that at English Championship level, never mind Premiership level, managers down there are under pressure to achieve instant results, instant success, and to sign bigger names than both of our lads. Time will tell.

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

They did indeed, but these days there are less players of smaller stature, Messi apart, who are playing for top teams.

The physical side of the game now means players are usually more robust and stronger than in days gone by, like the players you mention.

I don't know

John Fleck was playing for Sheff Utd v Barnsley and he's no giant

He's certainly no better than Mallan 

A bit of patience required as there will be a bit of snobbery going on

A superstar in a pub league they will be saying

I mean Waghorn and Garner are on fire down there at the moment and they were rated as duds up here

9 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

I don't know

John Fleck was playing for Sheff Utd v Barnsley and he's no giant

He's certainly no better than Mallan 

A bit of patience required as there will be a bit of snobbery going on

A superstar in a pub league they will be saying

I mean Waghorn and Garner are on fire down there at the moment and they were rated as duds up here

That's why I emphasised LESS.

I didn't say there are none.

I watched a programme a while ago on the amount of players that go thorough these schools of excellence and it was well documented that many weren't chosen because of their lack of stature.

Hi guys just wanted to give you a wee update on stephen,at present he's working everyday with the sports science team,coaching staff and manager,he's  fit but as some have suggested just not quite there yet, he's been constantly doing dble and triple sessions in order to get to that level.

the manager didn't want him on loan so he can work with Stephen everyday rather than send him out.

as we know there's certain aspects of him game that he has to dramatically inprove on in order to be selected,at present his defensive side,his strength his heading his alround game has to lift.

hes loving working with the manager and coaches and understands his position,and I'm sure when the manager thinks he's ready we will see a new and more improved stephen. 

16 minutes ago, Steve said:

Hi guys just wanted to give you a wee update on stephen,at present he's working everyday with the sports science team,coaching staff and manager,he's  fit but as some have suggested just not quite there yet, he's been constantly doing dble and triple sessions in order to get to that level.

the manager didn't want him on loan so he can work with Stephen everyday rather than send him out.

as we know there's certain aspects of him game that he has to dramatically inprove on in order to be selected,at present his defensive side,his strength his heading his alround game has to lift.

hes loving working with the manager and coaches and understands his position,and I'm sure when the manager thinks he's ready we will see a new and more improved stephen. 

That's good to hear, Steve. Let him know that we're all behind him, but if he ever wants to come home....:whistle

18 minutes ago, Steve said:

Theres no doubt he is a special player, glad to hear his manager is looking to broaden his development, rather than chucking him in to see if he can swim. We would all have him back in a heartbeat, but I'm sure you'll understand if I say we dont want to see him back up the road for years... maybe comeback in ten years Thommo style?

2 hours ago, Steve said:

Cheers for that Steve,it's good to have a bit of inside info on Stevens progress.Keep us informed plz mate.

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Barnsley just signed another midfielder not looking good for Wee Stevie

I think wee Stevie better come home on loan for a Season.

Will do him and us the world of good.

OpenBarnsleymenu

Gary Gardner: Barnsley sign Aston Villa midfielder on loan

45 minutes ago

From the sectionFootball

Gary Gardner's only appearance for Villa this season came in the EFL Cup win over Wigan

Barnsley have signed Aston Villa midfielder Gary Gardner on loan until the end of the season.

The 25-year-old has made 42 league appearances for Villa and scored his first goal in last season's draw with local rivals Birmingham City.

He has previously had loan spells with Coventry, Sheffield Wednesday, Brighton and Nottingham Forest.

Gardner could make his Tykes debut in the trip to Preston on Saturday, 9 September.

25 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

OpenBarnsleymenu

Gary Gardner: Barnsley sign Aston Villa midfielder on loan

45 minutes ago

From the sectionFootball

Gary Gardner's only appearance for Villa this season came in the EFL Cup win over Wigan

Barnsley have signed Aston Villa midfielder Gary Gardner on loan until the end of the season.

The 25-year-old has made 42 league appearances for Villa and scored his first goal in last season's draw with local rivals Birmingham City.

He has previously had loan spells with Coventry, Sheffield Wednesday, Brighton and Nottingham Forest.

Gardner could make his Tykes debut in the trip to Preston on Saturday, 9 September.

I think he will come home now. :notworthy

Stevie is best stayin where he is, get stronger, fitter, then when is just perfect, just absolutely tipper of the topper most for a dramatic entrance.......... Sprint on. Score a brace and do so again the following week the be the inspiration for Barnsley as they march onwards and upwards. Become a star and a really serious talent. He should then move to a top team. Play for Scotland and be the man that scores the goals for us that gets us into the World Cup. Then past the group stage. Then become a well kent name internationally. Become a legend. Come back to Saints then. Not before then.

Go on Stevie.  Work hard and believe in yourself.  That is what we really want. Amongst other stuffs. 

Stevie is best stayin where he is, get stronger, fitter, then when is just perfect, just absolutely tipper of the topper most for a dramatic entrance.......... Sprint on. Score a brace and do so again the following week the be the inspiration for Barnsley as they march onwards and upwards. Become a star and a really serious talent. He should then move to a top team. Play for Scotland and be the man that scores the goals for us that gets us into the World Cup. Then past the group stage. Then become a well kent name internationally. Become a legend. Come back to Saints then. Not before then.
Go on Stevie.  Work hard and believe in yourself.  That is what we really want. Amongst other stuffs. 

Is that 4.30 already..about time I get on the beers too