Stephen Mallan

TopCat

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, notabuddie said:

It's looking like he went too early and now is suffering. Shame as he has the talent but I suppose picking up the money makes it easier. He needs to start to make an impression soon or he will be another Scottish talent wasted. Hopefully morgan is looking at what is happening.

Or, an alternative view could be that the Scottish game is much further behind the English leagues and he’s having to learn the game.

4 hours ago, aldo_j said:

Or, an alternative view could be that the Scottish game is much further behind the English leagues and he’s having to learn the game.

I don't think it's that

Their game down there especially the lower leagues is down to brute strength

There's more fitba played up here

He won't be strong or quick enough 

55 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

I don't think it's that

Agree going by the Scotland interview Mallan has put on top heavy weight.  Is that right ? Would need to ses him play a full game. Personally i would rather let a player natural resources shine through which Stevie has in abundance. The game is what it is Stevie wants to reach the top of his game so needs to go along with the flow. Great player wish him all the best. 

The English Championship is the most competitive league in the UK & in Europe to an certain extent depending on how you gauge it.

Stevie had been playing in the lower end of the Premiership and the majority of his time in the lower ends of the Scottish Championship. The jump in standard and pace of the game along with the increased physical aspect down there will take a bit of time getting used to and to expect him to slot straight into their match day squad on a regular basis is ridiculous. He obviously has parts in his game he needs to improve on - particularly his strength and speed - before he becomes a regular fixture in their 11.  He has been bought with the foresight of being a future star and someone they can/will mould into exactly what they want. He's got guys in the squad with plenty experience of the league that he can learn from every day in training and help him improve.

Just look at Ryan Fraser at Bournemouth. It took him a good few years to get up to speed and ready for first team action and now he's a permanent fixture in their team.

Stevie is only 21, he's got plenty of time for improvement and to make an impact and i've got no doubt he'll go on to be a star in England.

A few posters not getting it here, if you look at the so called line of 'wasted talent' that moved south for mega bucks and then came back (think Stephen McGinn, Burton O Brien etc..)

the reason most have not lasted the pace is because they were thrown into a different style, class, fitness and phsyically demanding league with the hope they would swim. Mallan and especially McAllister will benefit from a complete season or more out of their resoective first team squads, and the obvious demands and expectations that brings.

as has been said these lads have plied their trade in the main trying to stop us being relegated to the third tier of Scottish football, why the hell Do you think they are ready to help their clubs fight for a play off place to the english premier league???

14 hours ago, SaintGlenburn said:

I just met a Barnsley fan and asked him about Stevie and why he isnt playing. He said he is nowhere near championship standard yet. Too lightweight and not quick enough. His words.

10 hours ago, windae cleaner said:

I don't think it's that

I would also agree this is the case.

As Spam Valley indicated, the required levels of strength and fitness are considerably higher than what is the norm up here.

Will he make it?

Nothing is certain I'm afraid. 

Seems crazy to me that Mallan hasn't even been on their bench (one League Cup game aside). His set-piece ability alone surely makes him worth having as an option if they need a goal.

Barnsley aren't doing very well this season - maybe their manager will get sacked and Mallan will get his chance then.

Just now, Stu said:

Seems crazy to me that Mallan hasn't even been on their bench (one League Cup game aside). His set-piece ability alone surely makes him worth having as an option if they need a goal.

Barnsley aren't doing very well this season - maybe their manager will get sacked and Mallan will get his chance then.

More than unlikely a manager will play a player on the off chance they get a free kick in a dangerous position?