Stephen Mallan

TopCat

I cant see what Mallan is going to learn playing in an uncompetitive Academy / Development league dansaff. The only way he is going to get the pace and the physicality of a game is to play, that aint gonna happen when there is nothing to play for in an Academy type setting.

5 minutes ago, melmac said:

I cant see what Mallan is going to learn playing in an uncompetitive Academy / Development league dansaff. The only way he is going to get the pace and the physicality of a game is to play, that aint gonna happen when there is nothing to play for in an Academy type setting.

He is working on his fitness levels, stamina and physicality. In other words they need him to do it 'longer, stronger and with the presence of a conger'

most of last season he was way off it at the bottom of the scottish championship, thankfully his new club know what he needs to be succesful for them and they are carefully managing their investment.

22 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

He is working on his fitness levels, stamina and physicality. In other words they need him to do it 'longer, stronger and with the presence of a conger'

most of last season he was way off it at the bottom of the scottish championship, thankfully his new club know what he needs to be succesful for them and they are carefully managing their investment.

So they brought a player in who wasn't up to standard? It's possible the power work he's doing will adversely affect his game. He will probably emerge from his "PT cocoon" just another clugger in a league of cluggers.

1 hour ago, stlucifer said:

So they brought a player in who wasn't up to standard? It's possible the power work he's doing will adversely affect his game. He will probably emerge from his "PT cocoon" just another clugger in a league of cluggers.

It is possible, but one would assume that they will monitor this risk and avoid overworking him to the point where it impacts on technique. However if you look at the development of Morgan you can see that he was very light weight when he first broke through, but over the summer of 2016 he properly bulked up and it has actually improved his overall game as he can shrug off players and use his technique and pace better.  By all accounts Magennis has been doing similar in his downtime and will be interesting to see how far he has pushed on when he returns.

Mallan coasted some games up here on technique as he was streets ahead of some of his peers/competitors in the league and more than made up for shortcomings elsewhere, however that attribute in particular lands him mid table now at best in that league and he needs to up the other levels to compensate for this. I think he's got the determination to do this, but it will be down to him to listen and follow guidance from those who know the league he is in as to whether he turns out like Ryan Fraser or Fraser Fyvie.

7 minutes ago, madball said:

It is possible, but one would assume that they will monitor this risk and avoid overworking him to the point where it impacts on technique. However if you look at the development of Morgan you can see that he was very light weight when he first broke through, but over the summer of 2016 he properly bulked up and it has actually improved his overall game as he can shrug off players and use his technique and pace better.  By all accounts Magennis has been doing similar in his downtime and will be interesting to see how far he has pushed on when he returns.

Mallan coasted some games up here on technique as he was streets ahead of some of his peers/competitors in the league and more than made up for shortcomings elsewhere, however that attribute in particular lands him mid table now at best in that league and he needs to up the other levels to compensate for this. I think he's got the determination to do this, but it will be down to him to listen and follow guidance from those who know the league he is in as to whether he turns out like Ryan Fraser or Fraser Fyvie.

I agree with your assessment of young Morgan but I would argue that as soon as he broke through you could tell he was a cut above even Stephen BEFORE he bulked up. And that development in Lewis has been upper body strength therefore didn't affect his overall pace and skillset. He is also being looked after by his peers here in Scotland.

I still fear any strength work, if too severe, will impact on Mallan's natural ability to get past people through the centre. As you say. It's a fine line but, given the perception that we up north are inferior, his new club might push it too far.

14 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I agree with your assessment of young Morgan but I would argue that as soon as he broke through you could tell he was a cut above even Stephen BEFORE he bulked up. And that development in Lewis has been upper body strength therefore didn't affect his overall pace and skillset. He is also being looked after by his peers here in Scotland.

I still fear any strength work, if too severe, will impact on Mallan's natural ability to get past people through the centre. As you say. It's a fine line but, given the perception that we up north are inferior, his new club might push it too far.

I will just say eh - Gareth Bale ...... He bulked up, hardly impacted his career

3 hours ago, stlucifer said:

You think a 21 year old from the basement of the Scottish championship can walk into any team in the English Championship and compete for an EPL play-off place?

yeah i am sure having spent hundreds of thousands on him, carefully working him into the style/set up they have, they will then set out to destroy his footballing ability. This league we play in is a league of cluggers, that league,  is a league with many international players.

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

The lad is clearly far too talented to be playing reserve football in the English Championship.

He deserves a run from now through to Christmas, let Barnsley decide if he's cutting it or not. If not, then loan him out to let him develop.

While I agree he SEEMS to be a wasted talent I would also suggest no one here has no real idea why the manager doesn't play him.

Their could be an abundance of reasons and, for what it's worth, I still think the lack of physical prowess, could be a contributory factor.

The game in England is, IMO, very much based on physical prowess. 

Watching the recent under 17 world cup showed to me that England were very much more physical and fitter than the other teams.

While I agree he SEEMS to be a wasted talent I would also suggest no one here has no real idea why the manager doesn't play him.
Their could be an abundance of reasons and, for what it's worth, I still think the lack of physical prowess, could be a contributory factor.
The game in England is, IMO, very much based on physical prowess. 
Watching the recent under 17 world cup showed to me that England were very much more physical and fitter than the other teams.

If anyone looks at the the Barnsley first team twitter feed they will see they have players who can score Mallan-esque goals in their first team. There last 2 were crackers.

I hope he sticks at it down there and goes on to have the career he desires.

Fwiw Stephen McGinn didn't play much for Watford in his first 6 months being there.

3 hours ago, Kemp said:

A lot of crap on this thread (as usual).

The boy needs to be playing first team football.  You can bulk up at the same time.  

Get him back up to Paisley for the rest of the season.

If their issue is that he needs to get up to the standard of the EFL, then why would they send him back up here?

absolutely zero chance of Mallan coming back this year.

3 hours ago, Kemp said:

A lot of crap on this thread (as usual).

The boy needs to be playing first team football.  You can bulk up at the same time.  

Get him back up to Paisley for the rest of the season.

:lol:

Just now, aldo_j said:

If their issue is that he needs to get up to the standard of the EFL, then why would they send him back up here?

absolutely zero chance of Mallan coming back this year.

Aye, I'm sure they will be monitoring his progress and he'll get his chance. 

• 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Interesting piece on the BBC last night with Jack saying he's been in touch with Stevie and would love to get him back on loan. 

Don't think there's anything more to it than Ross being asked if he'd like Mallan back and him saying yes. If he goes out on loan I'd be very surprised if he comes back to us as I'd imagine Premiership clubs will be after him.

Also wouldn't rule out Shrewsbury due to the Brian Caldwell connection.

Edited by Stu