Alcohol During Football Matches.

Qarsaan

This seems to be Jim Murphy's strategy to reconnect with the Scottish working class, talk a lot about football, beer, and footballandbeer.

The man is an idiot.

Politics aside, I don't really see any need for drink to be on sale in the ground. Plenty of time for refreshments pre and post match.

I have never been able to by alcohol at a ground in Scotland (during a game) so i don't understand what the fuss is about. Sad politician looking for votes is all i see here.

Yup. Looks like it .... although I would not be voting for a man who has that idea.

Edited by Qarsaan

I have never been able to by alcohol at a ground in Scotland (apart from hospitality) so i don't understand what the fuss is about. Sad politician looking for votes is all i see here.

Well I've been able to buy a beer in the past in Scotland, I can do it in England, I can drink at Murrayfield and I can drink at football matches here in Northern Ireland. I don't do it often over here as it's part time crap as espoused for the future of Scottish football by a couple of luminaries who shall be nameless. Shull and Roy MacGregor. But of course we've got to cater for the lowest common denominator and it's certainly low in Scotland. A bit like the 'small minority' singing sectarian filth at Hampden last week. I suppose we'll have to ask can alcohol be sold profitably at football matches what with the relatively small hours it might be available. If it can be done profitably then someone would give it a go. For home fans I think it might take a form of club membership to police it and rules would have to be strictly enforced. Probably infringement of rules would have to be punished with draconian measures.

I suspect it won't happen anyway as the few usually manage to spoil it for the many. I'm sure it's not very PC but we're part way towards letting the lunatics run the asylum.

Countless buddies on here have been pleasantly surprised by the civilised offerings and surroundings in social clubs such as at inverness and Motherwell (to close/closed, I believe).

It's simply due to the malignant effect of the bigot brothers that such facilities are denied to Scots football supporters.

It's imposing prohibition on only one section of the underclass, because 'our betters' can't trust us. They should also shut all public houses, because the oiks are irresponsible.

I think I'd be better off as a member of the Bullingdon Club.

Edited by bluto

Countless buddies on here have been pleasantly surprised by the civilised offerings and surroundings in social clubs such as at inverness and Motherwell (to close/closed, I believe).

It's simply due to the malignant effect of the bigot brothers that such facilities are denied to Scots football supporters.

It's imposing prohibition on only one section of the underclass, because 'our betters' can't trust us. They should also shut all public houses, because the oiks are irresponsible.

A photo of you and a dozen of your pals on the steps outside Reid Kerr College or the Tech before it became a 'uni' would be something to behold. All dolled up in your micky suits, it would be well worth a butchers.

PS Did you ever have a dozen friends?

The green oiks public house (wig and pen/bombchuckers arms) has closed its' doors this week, won't be missed

Well I've been able to buy a beer in the past in Scotland, I can do it in England, I can drink at Murrayfield and I can drink at football matches here in Northern Ireland. I don't do it often over here as it's part time crap as espoused for the future of Scottish football by a couple of luminaries who shall be nameless. Shull and Roy MacGregor. But of course we've got to cater for the lowest common denominator and it's certainly low in Scotland. A bit like the 'small minority' singing sectarian filth at Hampden last week. I suppose we'll have to ask can alcohol be sold profitably at football matches what with the relatively small hours it might be available. If it can be done profitably then someone would give it a go. For home fans I think it might take a form of club membership to police it and rules would have to be strictly enforced. Probably infringement of rules would have to be punished with draconian measures.

I suspect it won't happen anyway as the few usually manage to spoil it for the many. I'm sure it's not very PC but we're part way towards letting the lunatics run the asylum.

St Mirren players are full time and crap..bye1.gif

There is absolutely no need for alcohol at matches, for those who have never been there when it kicks off, and it does it is not pleasant, although our home form would turn you to drink at the moment.

Don't know there's a need for it but is there a market for it and might it enhance the atmosphere while putting a bit more money in the St.Mirren coffers? It's a form of anarchy when a minority of hoodlums spoil it for guys who like a beer and yet manage to behave.

There is absolutely no need for alcohol at matches, for those who have never been there when it kicks off, and it does it is not pleasant, although our home form would turn you to drink at the moment.

Fans can drink in the local pubs right up to kick off, why not allow them to do the same inside the ground instead?

If you are going to drink in a nearby pub til five to three anyway, you may as well let the clubs sell booze at the ground. Make it available pre-match when the pie stalls open and keep it to regular strength beers served in plastic pots. I don't see any return to 1980's violence occurring, the whole world has moved on since then.

People will have a drink before & after the game, why shouldn`t the club get a cut of the money spent ?

Corporate guests can get bladdered inside the ground but the rest of us cant be trusted with a beer ? that cant be right .

I hear the calls of "too many Idiots " etc but those idiots should not be governing policies for the rest of us. Fwiw , where are those idiots at the moment ? i dont see many causing trouble at the games just now, despite the fact that they are able to drink elsewhere for up to four hours pre-game .

With the obvious exception of the ugly sisters ,i believe that the vast majority of fans could be trusted to have a beer & behave.

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-31472090

My opinion? There are too many idiots around who would abuse it. The present arrangement makes sense. Lifting the beer ban is a bad idea.

Cynical ploy to get the working man on board.

Kemp is right.

Only an idiot would fail to see straight through what Murphy is trying to do.

He'll be advocating allowing smoking in buildings again next.

As for alcohol at grounds? This has been done to death.

We cannot handle our alcohol up here and until we do I'll never be in favour of anything which boosts consumption.

Cynical ploy to get the working man on board.

Kemp is right.

Only an idiot would fail to see straight through what Murphy is trying to do.

He'll be advocating allowing smoking in buildings again next.

As for alcohol at grounds? This has been done to death.

We cannot handle our alcohol up here and until we do I'll never be in favour of anything which boosts consumption.

That's my take on it too.

Our nation has such a horrendous relationship with alcohol, I just feel that any legislation which is going to encourage alcohol consumption, just shouldn't be brought into being.