No Swearing Now!

Never having been one for over-zealously using expletives (Bad words) myself, I always thought that going to the "fitba" was a haven where blokes (&, or ladies) could let off some steam of a Saturday afternoon.

Things at SMP have apparently changed!

A large group who sit at the back of the West stand (& have done so since day 1) were "spoken to" by a bloke in a yellow jacket about swearing!

If there is anyone who goes to a game & doesn't expect a tad of industrial language then they are dillusional!

We have a family stand where swearing is forbidden (Apparently it's one warning then out) - If those that sit in the midst of the main football fans are worried about lingo - F*** em!

Never having been one for over-zealously using expletives (Bad words) myself, I always thought that going to the "fitba" was a haven where blokes (&, or ladies) could let off some steam of a Saturday afternoon.

A large group who sit at the back of the West stand (& have done so since day 1) were "spoken to" by a bloke in a yellow jacket about swearing!

If there is anyone who goes to a game & doesn't expect a tad of industrial language then they are dillusional!

We have a family stand where swearing is forbidden (Apparently it's one warning then out) - If those that sit in the midst of the main football fans are worried about lingo - F*** em!

Firstly those who sit in that section of the West stand are not "the main football fans", they're just fans like everyone else.

I do expect some swearing, " a tad of industrial language at the football" but some people should show a little more consideration to those around them.

Last week at Aberdeen some of the language was dreadful from these 2 guys sitting pretty much directly behind me and my 5 year old son. I'm not wrapping him in cotton wool, I fully expect the odd "f**k sake St Mirren", or "you're an arse hole referee" type shouts but the shouts coming out if these guy's traps were pretty poor.

It was non stop, almost every minute of the game. "c**t, f**king fanny, takes it up the f**king arse, ya big f**king poofter, your maws a junkie f**king bastard, f**k off and die ya sheep shagging bastard."

Is there any need? Do these people just feel the need to be heard?

Should I expect this or should I expect a little consideration from grown men who should be smart enough to tone it down a bit when there's a 5 year old sitting right in front of them.

Or should I just expect them to say "f**kem"?

We did get up and move in the second half and the drive home had a few questions about new words in his vocabulary...

Edited by davidg

St Mirren try to be a "Family" club, they want families to come and enjoy a day out, be entertained and hopefully see a Saints win. I for one cringe when I hear some of the chants from our support (and I include those in hospitality yesterday) its embarrassing and needless. Yes we have a family stand, but it's not sound proof.

I never saw the yellow jacket man speaking to these sweary folk (how dare they) what i did have was one of the yellow jacket men running up to me when i got out of a car in front of the main entrance, he was telling me i couldnt get out of a car there as it was not a dropping off point. i dont know why he was telling me anyway because i was not driving the car. Have they now assumed the position of traffic wardens or have their company bought the bit of road in front of the ground - dont think so,

Been to a few hours of Ice Hockey.

Plenty drinking alcohol at their seats

At times, players knocking hell out of each other.

Absolutely no swearing from the Crowd.

Fantastic family entertainment.

Swearing and general insulting of opposition players and fans, or indeed the team of four random decision makers has been a staple of Scottish football since I can remember. Some fans are very successful at it; they almost turn it into an art form, and for me add to the occasion. Others unfortunately just appear to repeatedly empty their whole sweary vocabulary. Fail!

I certainly remember the conversations on the way home after the games when my daughter was still of primary school age; not many were about the game!

"Why was that man so angry?"

"Why did the Policeman not give these boys a row?"

"Why is Hugh Scott a wa**er?" etc.

Having said that I'm partial to the odd outburst myself, none of it premeditated; I just become conscious that all of a sudden I'm in mid air and offering advice to someone....sorry.

The incident the OP refers to wasn't a case of a stream of constant or OTT filth it was pretty minor swearing, a case of FFS ref type stuff. It wasn't from a guy who is in anyway a constant swearer either. The steward in question appeared to have been asked to specifically clamp down on it but as usual he missed the worst culprits and randomly picked on someone at the low end of the scale. I'm of the opinion that anyone that wants to try to avoid swearing totally then should be taking a seat in the family stand. Football will always provoke strong emotions and while I totally agree about constant or OTT swearing being uncalled for to attempt to stop swearing all together at football is a nonsense. No doubt we will see the usual double standards from the club when the Septic mob roll up tanked up on a public holiday evening kick off. Stewards can't even get them to sit down never mind stopping the filth, sectarian and swearing that spouts from their mouths.

Swearing and general insulting of opposition players and fans, or indeed the team of four random decision makers has been a staple of Scottish football since I can remember. Some fans are very successful at it; they almost turn it into an art form, and for me add to the occasion. Others unfortunately just appear to repeatedly empty their whole sweary vocabulary. Fail!

I certainly remember the conversations on the way home after the games when my daughter was still of primary school age; not many were about the game!

"Why was that man so angry?"

"Why did the Policeman not give these boys a row?"

"Why is Hugh Scott a wa**er?" etc.

Having said that I'm partial to the odd outburst myself, none of it premeditated; I just become conscious that all of a sudden I'm in mid air and offering advice to someone....sorry.

I know it's not really funny, but why was Hugh Scott a wa**er? is that the famous Mortonite of that name?

they spoke to folk at either of the my row and I have to say at the time whats going on as nothing had happened. Was totally shocked when heard it was about swearing as there hadn't even been any rants that I can remember. I agree with DavidG that some folk swear for the sake of swearing but yesterday as just normal game swearing. Bizarre IMO

I agree with David. It is all about degree.

I omit the odd hearty expletive when not sitting in the Family Stand, but would always draw a line in terms of how far I would take it. As a rule of thumb, I wouldn't shout anything at the game that I wouldn't shout at the TV when watching Question Time at home with the family.

Let off steam? Grow up!

I think the days of people with your attitude going to games is coming to an end.

The game needs to attract a better class of behaviour in order to persuade others to come along to matches.

Your attitude reeks of the 1980's and TBH it's no longer welcome.

For you to think I want to pay £20 to listen to you or anyone else mouthing off for 90 minutes is beyond delusional.

Edited by oaksoft

When Ridgers allowed that ball to bounce right in front of him up over his head, I let out a somewhat high-pitched 'frog in the throat' cry of 'Oh for fcuk sake!' - which needed a cough into a hanky immediately after. I sounded like a squeaky dog toy.

I wouldn't expect the stewards to be up looking for me. I don't see the need for machine gun bursts of bad language which go on for ninety minutes when there are obviously kids around and folk just trying to enjoy the game.

Edited by pozbaird

We are all guilty of the odd outburst of frustration, however, I agree with Oaksoft. Paying 20 quid to get into a footy game doesn't mean that you can act like a lout. Go and support the team, sing the songs if you wish and if the ref gets it wrong or the opposition cheat, there may be a bit of frustration and or occasional (f**k sake or that's shite) but it isn't a ticket to act like an idiot for 90mins.

At the end of the day times have changed and we need to adapt to that in that we want a new generation of fans? Then we need to convince people to come along.

I didn't see the incident yesterday and I sit in West Bank areas discussed so not having a go at the folk from yesterday, just more of a general point.

We are all guilty of the odd outburst of frustration, however, I agree with Oaksoft. Paying 20 quid to get into a footy game doesn't mean that you can act like a lout. Go and support the team, sing the songs if you wish and if the ref gets it wrong or the opposition cheat, there may be a bit of frustration and or occasional (f**k sake or that's shite) but it isn't a ticket to act like an idiot for 90mins.

At the end of the day times have changed and we need to adapt to that in that we want a new generation of fans? Then we need to convince people to come along.

I didn't see the incident yesterday and I sit in West Bank areas discussed so not having a go at the folk from yesterday, just more of a general point.

That's the thing honestly there hadn't even been a particularly bad outburst it was just - decision wrong or something and the usual oh ffs ref , your fookin hopeless etc etc

I never saw the yellow jacket man speaking to these sweary folk (how dare they) what i did have was one of the yellow jacket men running up to me when i got out of a car in front of the main entrance, he was telling me i couldnt get out of a car there as it was not a dropping off point. i dont know why he was telling me anyway because i was not driving the car. Have they now assumed the position of traffic wardens or have their company bought the bit of road in front of the ground - dont think so,

I would have told him where to go.

Let off steam? Grow up!

I think the days of people with your attitude going to games is coming to an end.

The game needs to attract a better class of behaviour in order to persuade others to come along to matches.

Your attitude reeks of the 1980's and TBH it's no longer welcome.

For you to think I want to pay £20 to listen to you or anyone else mouthing off for 90 minutes is beyond delusional.

I was NOT referring to myself in the OP!

Aye - that's worked well in the last 20 years - struggle to get a ticket most Saturdays nowadays eh?

The over sanitisation of going to the football has led to the games demise in Scotland! At least the weans can get a shot on a bouncy castle before getting pigged out on overpriced hot dogs & fizzypop - Top hole!