No Swearing Now!

Most of our games I see are on BT Sport. You can have a right good swear and a couple beers, plus the catering is free. And you can leave early if we are getting pumped and get home in no time.

I live in England so I have an excuse, I'd still much rather be at the game suffering in person right enough.

Edited by David Mc

That's the thing honestly there hadn't even been a particularly bad outburst it was just - decision wrong or something and the usual oh ffs ref , your fookin hopeless etc etc

Sorry miss saint, that's what I meant, I saw no event or fuss so and the stands no the biggest so usually any event is saw by everyone, so there couldn't have been much to it (if anything).

I know it's not really funny, but why was Hugh Scott a wa**er? is that the famous Mortonite of that name?

Correct!

Not only was the question asked, but the melody was also revisited in the car on the way back up the M8!

"Don't dare sing that to your mother - you'll not get back to see the panda!"

I have spent most of this season in the Family stand.

Next season i will be back in the West Stand where i will enjoy the occasional "Aww for f**k sake" , "f**k sake ref thats ridiculous" , "get a grip of that Bastard ref" & f**k sake Saints clear yer lines !"

If Oaksoftintheheid or any other of my Saints chums feel they may be offended by such language please let me know where you sit & will do my utmost to ensure i am well away from their delicate ears ........ coz i`m that sort of considerate f**ker !

I took both my Kids to games over the years & when the bad men shouted nasty words i simply said , "just ignore it & dont repeat it !" "Dad" , Said my son " I hear it every day in school !!" & that was just the teachers !

The game needs to attract a better class of behaviour in order to persuade others to come along to matches.

Aye - that's worked well in the last 20 years - struggle to get a ticket most Saturdays nowadays eh?

No it HASN'T worked well because the knuckle dragging moron types haven't stopped going yet.

Got to admit I do swear on occasion so did my Dad so did my Grampa it's part of going to the football.

But lets be honest at Ibrox and Parkhead they sing about the UVF and the IRA!!

I would rather sons here a few f**ks on a Saturday rather than bigoted sectarian pish that kids hear at the Old Firm!

St.Mirren have a family stand if you don't like swearing then that's the place to sit!

I have on a few occasions told other fans to shut it when they have gone over the top!

But I remeber the most offensive supporter ever Fergie use to watch Hamilton Accies sat next to the fence at Love Street!! He was in his sixties and would swear gesture and rub his hands with excitement!!!!

Ahh Old Love Street where swearing was acceptable!

Got to admit I do swear on occasion so did my Dad so did my Grampa it's part of going to the football.

But lets be honest at Ibrox and Parkhead they sing about the UVF and the IRA!!

I would rather sons here a few f**ks on a Saturday rather than bigoted sectarian pish that kids hear at the Old Firm!

St.Mirren have a family stand if you don't like swearing then that's the place to sit!

I have on a few occasions told other fans to shut it when they have gone over the top!

But I remeber the most offensive supporter ever Fergie use to watch Hamilton Accies sat next to the fence at Love Street!! He was in his sixties and would swear gesture and rub his hands with excitement!!!!

Ahh Old Love Street where swearing was acceptable!

Was it though? I don't know if it's just that I'm older than many on here but the way I remember it was that actually swearing wasn't generally accepted. It happened, but in general I remember guys moderating their language if there happened to be a lady or a child in close proximity. I used to sit in the enclosure at Love Street and I'd heard Tosh swear plenty of times but when I brought my kids to a match he'd be calling the referee and the opponents pigs rather than swearing. There was another old character that used to be in the North Bank when I was growing up who liked to offer the referee his glasses all the time. I can't remember him ever swearing when he was around kids. I can even remember going to Hampden Park to watch Scotland play East Germany. I remember swearing at a player who was taking a thrown in right in front of me and the policeman at track side called me over, pointed to a young kid a few yards away from where I was and he told me to show some respect.

I don't have a problem with swearing at the football, but why can't football supporters take regard of who is around them and show a bit of respect.

Let off steam? Grow up!

I think the days of people with your attitude going to games is coming to an end.

The game needs to attract a better class of behaviour in order to persuade others to come along to matches.

Your attitude reeks of the 1980's and TBH it's no longer welcome.

For you to think I want to pay £20 to listen to you or anyone else mouthing off for 90 minutes is beyond delusional.

Yeh. We'll all go with our white tails, black and white bow ties and black cummerbund and sit on our hands in case we accidently make a hand gesture which is less than appropriate. Perhaps they'll allow us to purchase prawn sandwiches and partake of a little champagne.

Aye. Right. As it was so succinctly put in a previous post,.......

F*ck em!

Edited by stlucifer

Was it though? I don't know if it's just that I'm older than many on here but the way I remember it was that actually swearing wasn't generally accepted. It happened, but in general I remember guys moderating their language if there happened to be a lady or a child in close proximity. I used to sit in the enclosure at Love Street and I'd heard Tosh swear plenty of times but when I brought my kids to a match he'd be calling the referee and the opponents pigs rather than swearing. There was another old character that used to be in the North Bank when I was growing up who liked to offer the referee his glasses all the time. I can't remember him ever swearing when he was around kids. I can even remember going to Hampden Park to watch Scotland play East Germany. I remember swearing at a player who was taking a thrown in right in front of me and the policeman at track side called me over, pointed to a young kid a few yards away from where I was and he told me to show some respect.

I don't have a problem with swearing at the football, but why can't football supporters take regard of who is around them and show a bit of respect.

Ye pig ye.

Yeh. We'll all go with our white tails, black and white bow ties and black cummerbund and sit on our hands in case we accidently make a hand gesture which is less than appropriate. Perhaps they'll allow us to purchase prawn sandwiches and partake of a little champagne.

Yeah cos that IS the alternative I was promoting. dry.png

First sentence......just lol.gif

Second sentence......telling people where to sit? lol.gif

Aye we should just let the knuckle dragging morons who can't control their "pure passun man" tell the rest of us where to sit. Let them set the agenda. lol.gif

That works so well in all areas of life.

Yeah cos that IS the alternative I was promoting. <_<

I was up for that. Dress code: Bow tie & Benedict Cummerbund. Bollinger on arrival. Valet parking for the Range Rover Sport. Enter through the exclusive chinless wonder toff's entrance. Carriages at 6pm...

CK should be all over this.

I wouldn't be surprised if the SPFL or TV companies have been in touch with the clubs after the negative publicity in the media about Rangers fans chants during TV games, and as usual rather than deal with Rangers fans chanting the SPFL will crackdown on other clubs instead. Due to the often graveyard like atmosphere at St Mirren Park there is no background noise to drown out those swearing at full volume and being picked up by the TV microphones. BBC Radio Scotland have apologised on air a few times due to Phil's language being caught on air when they were getting updates from our home games as well. BBC Alba often mute the crowd noise during our games to edit out swearing which would otherwise land them in trouble with Offcom.

When my oldest daughter was wee (maybe 7 or 8), I took her to Love Street but was held up in traffic and they had closed the South Stand turnstiles, so we had to take a seat at the south end of the North Bank. Given where we were sitting it was quiet in our row. Deserted, in fact, but for a couple in, at a guess, their mid-20s.

The lad sat for the entire half screaming the most extreme and venom fuelled abuse you're ever likely to hear at a game. This was massively over the top and completely dispropportionate in terms of what was going on during the match. At HT, I asked a steward to let us into the South Stand, which he helpfully did.

Now, I generally have no issue with a bit of swearing and have indulged in this often enough at games, but this was pretty sickening, not least as I was sitting a few seats along from this cretin with my young daughter. As I suggested in my earlier post in the thread, it is all a matter of degree. Had I been a with a young child taking her along to a match for the first time, not having previously experienced a day out at LS, and took this guy's behaviour as indiciative, I wouldn't have been back. That has to be a worry for a club like St Mirren.

All that said, I've never heard anything remotely similar to that walloper's OTT ranting at a game since. I felt sorry for the young woman he was with. Unless she was as moronic as him, she must have been mortified having to sit with such a plum.

For the most part, I don't think we have a huge problem with the conduct of supporters at our games.

Edited by Drew

I think the majority of buddie fans have been driven to the odd sweary word, especially over the past three or four seasons. It comes more as a sudden outburst from some cringingly terrible play or anticipated play by the defence............. e.g. for f**k's sake get rid of the ball and don't pass it back across the field with another hospital pass (or something along these lines).

My main fear is that the stewards, or whoever is instructing them don't know where or when to draw the line. What is the difference to me swearing with a one word outburst ("for f**k's sake") or alternatively saying "for Christ's sake Cheesy that was flipin awful"! ..... or "in the name of God boot it to hell"!

In these outbursts I am blaspheming................. so is that allowed, or is someone going to take offence?

Mentioned in another post, you can move if the person behind you is really offending and in so moving you may wish to inform a steward that there are really offensive things being said and that they should investigate. However football is a place where you can get frustrated, so don't go if you have sensitive ears!

I sit in the family stand now as my young nephew got his first season ticket this season. Where I sit you never really here any swearing, well maybe the odd slip of the tongue.

I don't think occasionally swearing at the football makes you a moron but some folk do go over the top. It doesn't really bother me what others want to do, each to their own.

I'm in W3 H75 and it's a decent bunch there. Aye, more than a few of us blurt out the odd 'FFS get it sorted!' Or 'Christ sake ref!' Or on Saturday there was a good one directed at Mr Indecisive the West Bank linesman 'Haw! ya skinny wee wank!'... That kind of outburst makes you laugh. There really isn't anyone nearby spitting feathers and effing and blinding all the time when there's no need. I do understand such a person exists in W1!

Worst I ever heard was last year at County when a guy along from me and my brothers (Remember in a smallish away support you are herded

together up there)Started as soon as the teams came out and proceed to unleash the most vile tirade possible at Danny Lennon non stop.

When I said I was fed up with it to those near us a good few said "He can shout what he wants" and similar opinions I was almost speechless....I

know I know...dry.png It was so bad I was going to ask a Policeman who was close to us to get him to stop but as he could obviously hear it and did

nothing then there was no point. Like many a FFS ref etc. you expect but this guy was out of control and there were a fair number of young ones

nearby. If you were that guy dressed head to toe in black with a face like a stop light I hope you get better soon.

If Footy gets to you like that then IMHO you need to try something else or sit well away from me.....Please.

Edited by thomsons dropped it

I'm in W3 H75 and it's a decent bunch there. Aye, more than a few of us blurt out the odd 'FFS get it sorted!' Or 'Christ sake ref!' Or on Saturday there was a good one directed at Mr Indecisive the West Bank linesman 'Haw! ya skinny wee wank!'... That kind of outburst makes you laugh. There really isn't anyone nearby spitting feathers and effing and blinding all the time when there's no need. I do understand such a person exists in W1!

There's one in W2 too, think maybe Row L or M. He's had words with a few folk who've told him to turn it down.