Buddies On The Tranny

3 minutes ago, Hambud said:

Only thing that I didn't like was that it came across as all saints fans wanted rid of Danny.
The host stating "I had all sorts phoning in saying Danny's time is up".
A loy of buddies would have kept him.

Very true... we had a poll on BAWA and the majority wanted Danny to stay...the wee man's a class act..

27 minutes ago, Hambud said:

I see Lee Mair on twitter stirring it up.

He got binned out the team by DL so taking what he says with a pinch of salt.

For some reason the podcast only goes as far as the end of the interview. What was said in the studio afterwards?

He got binned out the team by DL so taking what he says with a pinch of salt.
For some reason the podcast only goes as far as the end of the interview. What was said in the studio afterwards?

I've read his follow up tweets and I've probably made it sound worse than it was.

Thommo and Teale said they knew there was a split between DL and TC as TC would go to the senior players and question the things DL was trying to implement in a "shaping session". They also say that there was no split or cliques among the player's.

Chic "I'm very good friends with SG" Young said he couldn't understand how TC got the job.

Didn't hear the whole thing, but it's just so murky. A lot of unanswered questions remain. 

Lee Mair on Twitter takes it right back to Iain Jenkins leaving under a cloud in 2011. He seems to be suggesting that Jenkins was basically forced out with TC getting the assistant gig when IJ was still in his job. Back then did Danny seek out TC or was it the board?

Moving onto Danny leaving, at what point did the board decide they were going to remove him? Why did he not get to say goodbye to the fans? If the board knew at that point that they weren't going to give him a new deal then it seems almost personal to deprive DL of that. It feels like there's something else going on there we don't know about.

Danny's told that he's not the man to take us into the top 6 (ha ha how we laugh now). Was that genuinely the board's reasoning for not giving him a new deal? If so, they thought TC was the man to take us to the next level? Was it merely cost-cutting disguised as something else?

13 hours ago, scrappy coco said:

Very true... we had a poll on BAWA and the majority wanted Danny to stay...the wee man's a class act..

I thought there was a poll towards the end of the season - possibly after a midweek defeat to St Johnstone - where most folk wanted him out.

11 hours ago, Hambud said:

I've read his follow up tweets and I've probably made it sound worse than it was.

Thommo and Teale said they knew there was a split between DL and TC as TC would go to the senior players and question the things DL was trying to implement in a "shaping session". They also say that there was no split or cliques among the player's.

Chic "I'm very good friends with SG" Young said he couldn't understand how TC got the job.

Shame Jim Goodwin wasn't on as well seeing as he's the only person who seems to think Craig was great.

11 hours ago, Julian Banjos said:

Didn't hear the whole thing, but it's just so murky. A lot of unanswered questions remain. 

Lee Mair on Twitter takes it right back to Iain Jenkins leaving under a cloud in 2011. He seems to be suggesting that Jenkins was basically forced out with TC getting the assistant gig when IJ was still in his job. Back then did Danny seek out TC or was it the board?

Moving onto Danny leaving, at what point did the board decide they were going to remove him? Why did he not get to say goodbye to the fans? If the board knew at that point that they weren't going to give him a new deal then it seems almost personal to deprive DL of that. It feels like there's something else going on there we don't know about.

Danny's told that he's not the man to take us into the top 6 (ha ha how we laugh now). Was that genuinely the board's reasoning for not giving him a new deal? If so, they thought TC was the man to take us to the next level? Was it merely cost-cutting disguised as something else?

The Jenkins thing was briefly mentioned last night but it only threw more confusion in rather than clearing things up. When DL was asked why he didn't just sack Tommy Craig he made a comment about how the board didn't want to repeat the Jenkins situation, then didn't expand on it. The stuff about Austin MacPhee was interesting, although he'd left for the Northern Ireland job a few months before the end of the year so something didn't quite add up there.

The way we sacked/released/dispensed with Danny was pretty poor. We were safe on the Sunday after Hearts thumped Kilmarnock so things should have been sorted the next day. Instead, the board waited until a scheduled meeting on the Thursday - but not before the chairman went on the radio all but saying DL was getting the boot. Following the meeting on the Thursday there was a statement saying nothing had been decided and there'd be another meeting the following week. It was fairly obvious what was going to happen and if I'd been Danny I'd have been tempted to tell them to shove their job and walk there and then.

He said he could have taken let go had we made an ambitious appointment and it was someone with a proven track record of making the top six - not really that far off the thoughts of folk who wanted a change but would have stuck with Danny if we'd known who was going to replace him. The board appointing Craig and then hoping we'd make the top six with the same/lesser budget sounds about right!

There was the odd error from Danny - only being able to sign five players in his first season, his claim we had five or six Scotland players by the end of his time and so on - but the thing I disagreed with most was his view that expectation had risen following the cup win to repeat that success. Don't think anyone was expecting finals every season, I think it was more a frustration that after the best part of a decade in the top flight we were hoping to have moved on from constant relegation battles (three of his four seasons we were involved in one) and seeing clubs we believed, rightly or wrongly, to be of similar status and have a similar budget repeatedly finish above us - often not long after they were promoted. Suppose it was similar with Gus.

The final season was really what killed Danny as, while we finished eighth, it was ridiculously tight and he wasted a lot of money on players. Guys like Imrie and Guy had to be binned in the summer and six months later another lot of players were being binned. Thank god we've got out of that cycle :whistle

At the time it seemed the right decision, however the choice of replacement and hindsight suggest it was wrong. Considering he did a good job for both ourselves and Cowdenbeath it seems ridiculous that he is struggling to get a job while morons like Locke bounce from one club to another. I know he made a mess of things at Alloa but the success in his career outweighs the bad stuff.

Before we "let Danny go", I was quite clear that we had more chance of being relegated than making the top 6 if we changed managers. This was when everyone was saying we had a top 6 squad, when we were bleating about Ross County making top 6 which meant we should be there. This was also before I knew who the new manager was going to be.

We're paying the price for not appreciating what we had. Staying in the SPL was success for us. And if that wasn't enough, we won a national trophy. All water well under the bridge now, but we treated Danny Lennon very shabbily, and maybe we've been experiencing some Karma these past few years. Hopefully we've done our penance now, and there will be a turnaround soon. I would also hope that the new board will be more patient with managers, especially those who bring us unprecedented success...

12 minutes ago, Stu said:

There was the odd error from Danny - only being able to sign five players in his first season, his claim we had five or six Scotland players by the end of his time and so on - but the thing I disagreed with most was his view that expectation had risen following the cup win to repeat that success. Don't think anyone was expecting finals every season, I think it was more a frustration that after the best part of a decade in the top flight we were hoping to have moved on from constant relegation battles (three of his four seasons we were involved in one) and seeing clubs we believed, rightly or wrongly, to be of similar status and have a similar budget repeatedly finish above us - often not long after they were promoted. Suppose it was similar with Gus.

The final season was really what killed Danny as, while we finished eighth, it was ridiculously tight and he wasted a lot of money on players. Guys like Imrie and Guy had to be binned in the summer and six months later another lot of players were being binned. Thank god we've got out of that cycle :whistle

I agree with this.

Although much of Danny said was spot on, as is most of the content of this thread, there was more than a hint of rose tinted specs at times in his interview.

A lot of talk about resistance to Austin McPhee and about Tommy Craig being a prick, but not much talk about the budget being woefully squandered on pay offs, etc, and also not much about getting beaten most weeks despite having a fantastic squad.

As you say his talk about expectation was exaggerated. No one was expecting cup finals every year.

A good guy who I would have been happy to see getting another year, but let's have some balance.

Yeah I was undecided about DL most of the final term but in the end of season poll I voted for a new contract as I felt the BoD were unlikely to appoint a new manager quickly but as Stu said it was clear from what SG said on the radio prior to the Killie game the BoD had made the decision to get rid of DL.

I was surprised when the BoD promoted TC on the Tuesday and GT/JG the following day:death. TC inherited a far better position than DL had 4 years earlier with no management team to payoff and I feel that had he been smart he (TC) could have laid a lot of the blame on DL and maybe not paid off as many as he did. The main mistake I felt he made was getting rid of both Harkins (paid off) and McGowan (out of contract) - although I'd have preferred to keep McGowan it'd have made more sense to keep Harkins - all water under the bridge now.

I was never one of the "next level" crew but DL's league record was iffy with two 11th places (2012/13 only finishing above an understrength Dundee) which in the new setup would have meant relegation play-offs.:rolleyes: Well the BoD made the change and since then it's been onwards and downwards.

Interesting piece of history brought to the surface in what has been an eventful fortnight for us!

If danny is so good why is he not managing in the spl?

Tommy Craig stabbed him in the back, so what, we bumped him too.

Time to move on Danny and try and get a new job in the lower

leagues where you belong.

Any directors of clubs will be put off his moaning thinking if

it goes tits up at another club will he chunter about them too.

16 hours ago, Gordon Urquhart said:

Brilliant radio on us. Recommend iPlayer catch up for buddies at the match tonight.

Danny a gentleman, the rest involved much less so.

This is the best link for that: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04w937t

The podcast released last night ends with Danny's interview. That link has the chat with Thompson and Teale that followed. That bit starts about 40 minutes in if you've already heard the whole thing.

20 minutes ago, Stu said:

This is the best link for that: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04w937t

The podcast released last night ends with Danny's interview. That link has the chat with Thompson and Teale that followed. That bit starts about 40 minutes in if you've already heard the whole thing.

Fascinating 15 minutes.........

Image result for interesting spock

Edited by Bud the Baker

1 hour ago, Lanarkshire_Bud said:

The mistake was never getting rid of DL. It was replacing him with TC.

If, at that time, Saints fans new the choice was more DL or switch to TC then I'm fairly confident that the majority would have stuck with Danny.

Correct. 

Although a few players on twitter would seem to be indicating that DL wasn't quite as upfront as made out...

Correct. 
Although a few players on twitter would seem to be indicating that DL wasn't quite as upfront as made out...

More than just Mair?

I remember Imrie counting down the days until the end of Danny's tenure on twitter with regular "tick tock" tweets. But then I remember him tweeting snake emoticons when TC took on the job, I couldn't work out if they were aimed at TC or someone else. I assumed they were at JG as he had been DL'S captain but then got the coaching job.

Who knows it would be interesting to find out but we could probably do without the public mud slinging.

I thought chick youngs comments about TC'S signings were spot on especially Calum Ball.

30 minutes ago, Hambud said:

More than just Mair?

I remember Imrie counting down the days until the end of Danny's tenure on twitter with regular "tick tock" tweets. But then I remember him tweeting snake emoticons when TC took on the job, I couldn't work out if they were aimed at TC or someone else. I assumed they were at JG as he had been DL'S captain but then got the coaching job.

Who knows it would be interesting to find out but we could probably do without the public mud slinging.

I thought chick youngs comments about TC'S signings were spot on especially Calum Ball.

Gary Teale went rather quiet at that point - wonder why that was... http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/13287808.Teale_s_total_recall_saved_Buddie_Ball_from_career_termination/

46 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Correct. 

There'll be plenty of them who see things differently from what went out last night and have little/no sympathy for DL. Potter and Wardlaw both claimed they'd been told they'd get new contracts then didn't. He tried to force out Shuggy half way through his first season. Mair was ostracised at one stage, Hambud mentioned Imrie and judging by Twitter Reilly and McShane feel bad done too as well.

But it's all about who you talk to and pay attention to. For every player like that there's probably just as many who'd side with Lennon - I'd imagine Paul McGowan is in that camp.

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

Gary Teale went rather quiet at that point - wonder why that was... http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/13287808.Teale_s_total_recall_saved_Buddie_Ball_from_career_termination/

There'll be plenty of them who see things differently from what went out last night and have little/no sympathy for DL. Potter and Wardlaw both claimed they'd been told they'd get new contracts then didn't. He tried to force out Shuggy half way through his first season. Mair was ostracised at one stage, Hambud mentioned Imrie and judging by Twitter Reilly and McShane feel bad done too as well.

But it's all about who you talk to and pay attention to. For every player like that there's probably just as many who'd side with Lennon - I'd imagine Paul McGowan is in that camp.

IIRC Potter stalled on signing a new deal for a few months until we had secured our top flight status then found out it had been withdrawn - meh! I felt sorry for Wardlaw who'd given up a job working with the Royal Mail to join us at a relatively late age (for a footballer).

4 hours ago, Hoof Hearted said:

If danny is so good why is he not managing in the spl?

Tommy Craig stabbed him in the back, so what, we bumped him too.

Time to move on Danny and try and get a new job in the lower

leagues where you belong.

Any directors of clubs will be put off his moaning thinking if

it goes tits up at another club will he chunter about them too.

Danny was so good he won us the League Cup and kept us in the division every year, on a reducing budget. And I doubt many clubs will be put off by him saying his piece now. He bided his time and waited til it would cause little fuss at the club itself - only among those no longer there.

Always was a top man Danny. I wish him all the best for the future.