Buddies On The Tranny

3 hours ago, Lanarkshire_Bud said:

The mistake was never getting rid of DL. It was replacing him with TC.

If, at that time, Saints fans new the choice was more DL or switch to TC then I'm fairly confident that the majority would have stuck with Danny.

The two events go hand in hand. Goes without saying that if you replace a manager with someone better then it's the right decision to let him go. If, however, you replace him with someone much worse then it's a very poor decision to get rid.

We made an arse of it.

4 hours ago, Hoof Hearted said:

If danny is so good why is he not managing in the spl?

Tommy Craig stabbed him in the back, so what, we bumped him too.

Time to move on Danny and try and get a new job in the lower

leagues where you belong.

Any directors of clubs will be put off his moaning thinking if

it goes tits up at another club will he chunter about them too.

We bumped TC because he was totally dreadful, not because he kept us in league and won our first every league cup, or did you forget that (you tit)

Are you Tommy's love child or something ?

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Gary Teale went rather quiet at that point - wonder why that was... http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/13287808.Teale_s_total_recall_saved_Buddie_Ball_from_career_termination/

There'll be plenty of them who see things differently from what went out last night and have little/no sympathy for DL. Potter and Wardlaw both claimed they'd been told they'd get new contracts then didn't. He tried to force out Shuggy half way through his first season. Mair was ostracised at one stage, Hambud mentioned Imrie and judging by Twitter Reilly and McShane feel bad done too as well.

But it's all about who you talk to and pay attention to. For every player like that there's probably just as many who'd side with Lennon - I'd imagine Paul McGowan is in that camp.

Reilly was given his debut in the first team at a young age by Lennon and was doing well until picking up a bad injury. Since then he looked a shadow of himself when he did play for us and is now plying his trade in League 2 with Elgin City, 3 seasons after Lennon left st Mirren. He didn't set the heather on fire whether playing under Craig or Teale and was on trial under Murray and sent packing. 

Jon McShane looked like a prospect when in the U20s and based on a loan spell with Dumbarton. He didn't make the step up with us and did OK om loan to Accies who signed him and then released him (no one questioning Alex Neil's judgment), and then it was onto the likes of East Fife and Stranraer. 14 first team appearances and 0 goals for us in 2011/2. Hard to argue that Lennon was wrong to move him on and he had a decent chance to bounce back at Accies but doesn't look like he took that.

The one group of players where you can imagine there were grounds for unhappiness was senior players reaching the end of their shelf life as starting XI SPL players (Mair, DVZ, Hugh Murray etc). I think in most cases the club put them through their coaching badges and gave them a start on their transition from playing in the SPL to starting out in coaching or management. It's clear from the interview and AGM accounts over the years we were continually trimming our budget and I suspect that DL looked at how DVZ, Murray, Mair etc were playing in their last season or so and at younger players coming through and decided the future lay with youth and we couldn't afford to give the senior players new deals and not play them and due to the contracts they were on the only way to avoid that was to freeze them out the picture so their contracts did not roll over for another year. 

1 hour ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Reilly was given his debut in the first team at a young age by Lennon and was doing well until picking up a bad injury. Since then he looked a shadow of himself when he did play for us and is now plying his trade in League 2 with Elgin City, 3 seasons after Lennon left st Mirren. He didn't set the heather on fire whether playing under Craig or Teale and was on trial under Murray and sent packing. 

Jon McShane looked like a prospect when in the U20s and based on a loan spell with Dumbarton. He didn't make the step up with us and did OK om loan to Accies who signed him and then released him (no one questioning Alex Neil's judgment), and then it was onto the likes of East Fife and Stranraer. 14 first team appearances and 0 goals for us in 2011/2. Hard to argue that Lennon was wrong to move him on and he had a decent chance to bounce back at Accies but doesn't look like he took that.

The one group of players where you can imagine there were grounds for unhappiness was senior players reaching the end of their shelf life as starting XI SPL players (Mair, DVZ, Hugh Murray etc). I think in most cases the club put them through their coaching badges and gave them a start on their transition from playing in the SPL to starting out in coaching or management. It's clear from the interview and AGM accounts over the years we were continually trimming our budget and I suspect that DL looked at how DVZ, Murray, Mair etc were playing in their last season or so and at younger players coming through and decided the future lay with youth and we couldn't afford to give the senior players new deals and not play them and due to the contracts they were on the only way to avoid that was to freeze them out the picture so their contracts did not roll over for another year. 

I wasn't saying McShane and Reilly were correct to feel aggrieved, just that by reading Twitter it seems they are - and you can now add Wardlaw to that list. The reaction when Mair got dropped out form fans was laughable but the treatment of Murray was shabby considering his service to the club - ironic considering Lennon is now moaning about how his departure was handled.

I also seem to remember hearing from a Cowdenbeath fan a few years back that Lennon pretty much did the dirty on their manager (Brian Welsh?) to get that job. So perhaps he had it coming...

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

I wasn't saying McShane and Reilly were correct to feel aggrieved, just that by reading Twitter it seems they are - and you can now add Wardlaw to that list. The reaction when Mair got dropped out form fans was laughable but the treatment of Murray was shabby considering his service to the club - ironic considering Lennon is now moaning about how his departure was handled.

I also seem to remember hearing from a Cowdenbeath fan a few years back that Lennon pretty much did the dirty on their manager (Brian Welsh?) to get that job. So perhaps he had it coming...

I didnt think Hugh Murray was that great in his last few seasons and from what I remember he picked up an injury which would have meant being injured during the close season and transfer window and Lennon gave him a 1 year extension after the injury... doesn't seem all that shabby treatment towards him. 

4 hours ago, DougJamie said:

We bumped TC because he was totally dreadful, not because he kept us in league and won our first every league cup, or did you forget that (you tit)

Are you Tommy's love child or something ?

raw.gif.9809c08d48aca19055d8f408a84033e1.gif

tommy craig was about as much use as a trap door in a canoe

Edited by Hoof Hearted

5 hours ago, Soctty said:

Danny was so good he won us the League Cup and kept us in the division every year, on a reducing budget. And I doubt many clubs will be put off by him saying his piece now. He bided his time and waited til it would cause little fuss at the club itself - only among those no longer there.

Always was a top man Danny. I wish him all the best for the future.

I doubt he will ever manage a club in the spl again.

54 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Possibly not, but he did very well for us, and was treated shabbily by the board.

I think part of the reason why Danny Lennon might not manage another SPL club again is down to the fashion at most clubs to go with young untested and cheap managers or clubs going for leftfield options like Ronnie Delia, Warburton and Caixinha. Someone like Hughes is unusual these days after having had stints at Falkirk, Hibs, Inverness and now Raith Rovers.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 7:47 PM, Hambud said:

Only thing that I didn't like was that it came across as all saints fans wanted rid of Danny.
The host stating "I had all sorts phoning in saying Danny's time is up".
A lot of buddies would have kept him.

Honestly not how I remember it... I was in a minority of warning be careful what you wish for.
From memory, most fans felt he had "taken us as far as he could"!

Honestly not how I remember it... I was in a minority of warning be careful what you wish for.

Surprises me how many stick to that line, despite what came after.

Anyway, water under the bridge now. Gave us some fantastic memories.

10 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I think part of the reason why Danny Lennon might not manage another SPL club again is down to the fashion at most clubs to go with young untested and cheap managers or clubs going for leftfield options like Ronnie Delia, Warburton and Caixinha. Someone like Hughes is unusual these days after having had stints at Falkirk, Hibs, Inverness and now Raith Rovers.

Another reason may be because the SPL no longer exists :ph34r::nerdy

The fact you and others wanted to keep him (all be it a minority on here) prove my point that not all Saints fans wanted rid of him.

I'm not trying to rewrite history and say everybody wanted to keep him. There were plenty wanting rid of him from day 1, there were people on here talking about bagging him the night before the league cup final, there were "friends" of senior players routinely bad mouthing him on twitter I remember that but there were people who saw it differently.

I stand by what i said there were a lot that wanted to keep him.

Personally,  I had a lot of time for Danny Lennon as Manager.  He brought cup success and kept us in the SPL. Based on these, I would have retained him as manager. What I don't know and still don't know is what was going on behind the scenes. What we have heard now is one version of events. I would rather that Danny had remained Silent, not for my sake or the club's,  but his own.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Jack says he's looking to bring in between 7 to 9 players in the transfer window.

I raised an eyebrow when he said that but thinking about it there will probably be quite a few of the fringe players and those out on loan sent on their merry way that will need replaced to bolster the squad for next season's Scottish Cup win and top 4 finish. :P