St. Mirren Looking For A New Manager

Thinking about this a lot.

How about Mixu Paatelainen as manager, with Gary Teale as assistant?

Mixu did exceptionally well at Cowdenbeath and Kilmarnock, and also was superb during his time as youth manager at St.Johnstone.

Was popular as a player with Saints, knows the club and the current board.

Tiny snag is that he is still the national manager of Finland, but it seems widely expected that he will leave that gig soon.

Thoughts?

Mixu did exceptionally well at Cowdenbeath and Kilmarnock, and also was superb during his time as youth manager at St.Johnstone.

Tiny snag is that he is still the national manager of Finland, but it seems widely expected that he will leave that gig soon.

Thoughts?

You heard something about this Div or is it wishful thinking?

Would take big Mixu as Manager no problem :)

If he were interested, Mixu would be a good shout. Can't see it, however.

My money is on Stevie Aitken. Not saying he would be my pick, however.

I never knew Aitken's proper name when he played for Morton, he always simply known as "Ginger Prick".

I sat chatting to him at the SFA hall of fame awards several years ago and found him to be affable, charming and really interesting.

He seemed to implode at County and certainly got a lot of backs up, including mine... but the job je did with County in tbe Championship was absolutely stunning.

Fair do's if you've spoken to him. Even in his recent stints on the radio, I've always thought that he sounds quite defensive and fragile.

Thoughts?

He's still got his house in Dalgety Bay, I wonder if he'd see the championship as a bit beneath him though?

I know he's mainly hated by our support but I'm beginning to think Billy Reid would be worth a go.

A bit of a bellend by all accounts, but I'm not wanting to be his pal, I'm wanting him to kick some ass and get us winning games.

A not too surprising outcome for GT, given (1) the circumstances he was appointed and (2) the outcome of our final league position.

I personally crossed my fingers with Gary, but I really didn't see the personnel within the playing staff to pull it out of the mire, then with the sale of Kenny at the close of the transfer window, the die was surely set.

The club have a history of looking from within to appoint, be that a cost saving exercise, or better the devil you know attitude, I've never been quite sure, but I suspect the former. This time however where would they look within?

ST is too raw a chance. By all means keep him involved in the training / background team, but PLEASE bring in someone who has a bit of a track record that can gel the youngsters, make one or two astute signings and bring ST on in the right way (whatever that may be as a football manager - I've never personally fancied the job too much unless it was to pay £1m p.a. and then get me sacked - aye dream on oldster!whistling.gif ).

Where do the Club start?

What about the Directors making a statement about the future. A simple clear statement that the sale of the club is now on hold until we get stability, a platform to get us back into the top league and then a permanent place in the upper part of that league!

There that would give the whole club, including supporters a lift, plus provide an in-coming manager with the knowledge that there is a steady ship on the sea.clap.gif

Edited by The Original 59er

Yeah can't see Mixu going from international football to the Scottish Championship sadly.

I remember saying we should go for him before we appointed DL. Instead he went to Killie that summer, a team we had finished above the season before under Gus.

Killie went on to finish top 6 and we went on to finish 11th.

Yeah can't see Mixu going from international football to the Scottish Championship sadly.

I remember saying we should go for him before we appointed DL. Instead he went to Killie that summer, a team we had finished above the season before under Gus.

Killie went on to finish top 6 and we went on to finish 11th.

He didnae do too well in the League Cup right enough. bye1.gif

You heard something about this Div or is it wishful thinking?

Would take big Mixu as Manager no problem smile.png

Completely wishful thinking unfortunately.

I can't emphasise enough that the manager of the football club next season MUST have a proven track record of nurturing young players. The importance of the Academy to the club cannot be under estimated.

Last night the u20s beat a strong Celtic side, and we finished the game with 5 players on the pitch who were under 17 !

There is some fantastic talent there, and the key to our future success is going to be ensuring that these players progress into the first team.

My overwhelming (and underwhelming) feeling is that Billy Stark will get the job, but I can wish for someone as ambitious as big Mixu !

Billy stark. Has never nurtured young talent. He was the manager of scotiand u21. So. He had to pick players u21. So for he this doesn't count

When you actually think about billy reid and his past record. Surely he had to be the overwhelming favourite. When you think of the promotions he won the players he brought through from accies. And our set up surely has to be better than accies. We all know he is a c**t. But. May be for me had to be the outstanding candidate

He's currently a number 2. For a team in the Swedish league think thre called falkenburg

Billy stark. Has never nurtured young talent. He was the manager of scotiand u21. So. He had to pick players u21. So for he this doesn't count

When you actually think about billy reid and his past record. Surely he had to be the overwhelming favourite. When you think of the promotions he won the players he brought through from accies. And our set up surely has to be better than accies. We all know he is a c**t. But. May be for me had to be the outstanding candidate

He's currently a number 2. For a team in the Swedish league think thre called falkenburg

#anyonebutstark

Nobody outside St Mirren liked Tom Hendrie or Gus terribly much (no-one at St Mirren liked them either by the end) but they both got us promoted. John Coughlin, on the other hand, was undoubtedly a nice guy but completely out of his depth. No-one really dislikes Tommy Craig or Gary Teale either. I'm all for someone thoroughly unlikeable and thoroughly successful.