Thommo Interview.

Thommo is undoubtedly worth a place on our squad next season, IF he can demonstrate that he has overcome his 'injury' and would present as fit. His passion and experience could be of very significant value to the team next season

However, auld age can be a right bassa in aw, when you are trying to shake a long term 'injury'

Jury out presently.......................up to a sound pre season and medical for Thommo

Hmmmm he's certainly putting down a very public marker, and using his Sportscene chum to help him get the message out.

It's all down to Ian Murray, and if he fancies Thommo in a player/assistant manager role, then it's a decision that wouldn't attract too much criticism from the fans. What I think it would also do though, is make it impossible for Teale and Goodwin to stay. I think we'd run the risk of another split dressing room if the two former coaches and one a temporary manager, were reverting back to player roles, with the club's other senior pro in a coaching role.

True but I'd add further that a fit Thommo has more to offer our team next season than the other two.

Also would right the wrong of appointing the other two as coaches last year and ignoring Thommo which I found baffling.

Also would right the wrong of appointing the other two as coaches last year and ignoring Thommo which I found baffling.

IMO and I've said this dozens of times over the last couple of seasons, Thommo is far too much of a lad to be promoted to coach, far too friendly with most of the squad to then go on and manage or coach them. The injury to McGinn kinda highlights this also.

He would do well with another club/squad of players IMO though.

I'd much rather see him leave now and come back in a few years and work with players he's not playing or played with.

Edited by davidg

I too like many others on this and other St.Mirren forums would keep Thommo, an experienced player and a lifelong St.Mirren fan who has been plagued with injury this season. Jim Goodwin should leave purely because whilst playing well at times has let the club, fans and his teammates down too many times over the years with his poor disciplinary record and Gary Teale has not got what it takes to be a manager at the moment or for that matter an assistant manager and I very much doubt he has got any inclination too stay at St.Mirren nor do I guess that Ian Murray will want him to stay, if indeed anyone is appointed as assistant manager then perhaps Ian Murray will go for ex St.Mirren player Jack Ross.

IMO and I've said this dozens of times over the last couple of seasons, Thommo is far too much of a lad to be promoted to coach, far too friendly with most of the squad to then go on and manage or coach them. The injury to McGinn kinda highlights this also.

I'd much rather see him leave now and come back in a few years and work with players he's not playing or played with.

And when Teale was out injured for most of the season two years ago he got involved with the U20's in a coaching role. Thompson has been in a similar boat this season but is only now thinking maybe i should use some of my experience from doing my coaching badges to help out around the club.

And when Teale was out injured for most of the season two years ago he got involved with the U20's in a coaching role. Thompson has been in a similar boat this season but is only now thinking maybe i should use some of my experience from doing my coaching badges to help out around the club.

That's a tad unfair Dop.

I'm sure I read he gave young McGinn a few pointers.....

Well. At least one.whistling.gif

I don't know Thommo at all but I keep hearing that he is very intelligent and is definitely someone that almost everyone at the club looks up to. In every workplace that ever existed, including football teams, guys get promoted and have no difficulty managing staff who used to be his workmates. I'm told that Steven has a strong personality and I just can't see that he would have any difficulty. We'll all be looking out next season to see if there is any old pals acts going on and if there are any they have to be knocked on the head. But I hope it doesn't happen. I would like to see Steven becoming the no.2 if that's what Ian wants.

For the sake of continuity I would like to see Murray appoint Teale as his Assistant and Thommo and JG as coaches.

Having said that it was that kind of thinking that gave us Tommy Craig as manager in the first place!!!

What a ridiculous idea, thankfully you aren't making the decision.

If Thommo wants a deal and is prepared to take a first division strikers wages then sign him!

Why does Thompson need to be a coach this season?

Let him enjoy his last season as a player then go into the coaching side of football!

Or what about the Mixu type roll of player/youth coach?

Our youth set up doesn't work we make no money out it and we have just been relegated!

Teale and Longwell should go IMO!

If Thommo wants a deal and is prepared to take a first division strikers wages then sign him!

Why does Thompson need to be a coach this season?

Let him enjoy his last season as a player then go into the coaching side of football!

Or what about the Mixu type roll of player/youth coach?

Our youth set up doesn't work we make no money out it and we have just been relegated!

Teale and Longwell should go IMO!

A successful Youth set up doesn't happen overnight. We can't take average players and make them brilliant in the space of a few years.

We now have the facilities in place and have only had them for a few years. It's now key to get the potential players as young as possible so we can develop them over 8 years or so.

Look at the likes of McGinn and McLean. I have no doubt had we had proper youth facilities when they first joined the club then they would be even better players.

It takes years for the supporters to see the benefits of these facilities.

Mcnamee, o'brien, lavety, fullarton, iwelumo, baker, Hamilton, lambert, clarke, mcavennie, weir, mcgarvey, stark, McQueen, Munro, mckean, mcleod

No facilities

But we did have a proper scouting system

You can have the greatest facilities in the world...

But it wont matter if you don't have a scouting system or proper coaches!

What to do with the old guard - first decision for IM as Saints manager.

Thompson: worth a gamble (one year deal), always put his poor performances down to fitness rather than attitude - can't see us getting better on our budget.

Goodwin: year left on current deal, as above can't see us getting better on our budget.

Teale: Can't see him getting back into contention for a first team slot, so either back to player/assistant coach role or gardening leave.

FWIW we'll have to pay Teale anyway it makes no sense to put him on gardening leave. tell him to find another club if he feels the need but, given our limited budget, get him fit. Or at least fit enough to play part games.

Edited because I'm freckin stoopid!

Edited by stlucifer

FWven we'll have to pay Teale anyway it makes no sense to put him on gardening leave. tell him to find another club if he feels the need but, given our limited budget, get him fit. Or at least fit enough to play part games.

Teale played two full 90 minutes this season and was out of the team for the subsequent games, presumably due to fitness, it was back in September 2013 that he last played two full games in succession - at 37 before the season starts I don't see him making even the partial recovery you're looking for. In contrast Thompson seems a reasonable gamble having played 13 out of our last 14 games (many for the full 90 minutes).

If we ask Teale to find another club then I reckon we'll probably be obliged to make up any difference in the deals anyway.

Hopefully Murray and Teale will be able to work together for the upcoming season but if this is not the case then none of the options are particularly good.

Mcnamee, o'brien, lavety, fullarton, iwelumo, baker, Hamilton, lambert, clarke, mcavennie, weir, mcgarvey, stark, McQueen, Munro, mckean, mcleod

No facilities

But we did have a proper scouting system

You can have the greatest facilities in the world...

But it wont matter if you don't have a scouting system or proper coaches!

I agree to a point....Hamilton backwards the facilities made no difference it was about identifying a player and letting them spend lots of time with the ball (facilities were pretty much all of a low standard across all teams).

Baker onwards facilities would start to make a difference as the game, and life in general, had evolved beyond kids spending hours kicking a ball around with their mates, so quality and location of facilities affected the time on the ball.

The last 10 years onwards parents will expect good facilities as standard, coupled with good coaching irrespective of club.

I agree the outcome of the scouting was significantly better in years gone by, but were we actually that much better or did we have a broader pool of better kids to pick from? As above, society has changed and there are fewer kids applying themselves to football in the way they did in years gone by. Both now and then we might have only been getting say 10th pick of youngsters, but where before 1-20 were good I think standards now mean that you might only find 1-5 of a good quality. If you look at national squad the reduction in quality is glaringly obvious.

Does this mean I think that we can't improve on both coaching and scouting, and work better and more efficiently? No, there are definitely areas we could do better, but without the facilities as a selling point to prospective players and their parents we would be even further down the pecking order in recruiting talent.

Is there a likelihood that if Teale is not offered a coaching role that he would retire from football with immediate effect, rather than sit on the sidelines for a year if he is not fit enough to play?

Murray spoke with Teale on Sunday. This is Thursdays Teale is going nowhere get over it