St Mirren V Bradford City Friendly Match 18/7/15

shull

I liked the look of McMullan, Conlan, and Rooney when he came on, a giant of a lad, Howieson

looked as if he was playing out of position a more central role would suit him better I think, and

he wasn't as bad as some are making out,

The centre of defence has got to be strengthened far to lightweight, upfront as well, I think Thommo will struggle for goals this season..

Oh and BTW the new strips are smart as fcuk...

Edited by scrappy coco

Was sitting behind the one and only James Grady in family stand, 2 planes, 1 sausage roll and a rollicking for ending Norrie McWhirters career.

Grady is at most of our games, and has coached some of our players.

Taken a f**king while for you do it then, eh?

Edited by aldo_j

Craig Brown made some interesting comments on Radio Scotland after the game. His feeling was that it was an accomplished Bradford side and that there were many positives from a Saints perspective. In particular he felt that we didn't need to add much to be serious title challengers. He was especially impressed by the youngsters over the last 10mins.

Whilst I know not all Buddies (as the above proves) will have left the game excited and happy about the season's prospects, I think Craig Brown's other comments rang true.

Ridgers - looked a bit suspect at coming for crosses but made a fantastic save in the second half. It was a pretty windy day but he seemed to be lacking confidence in the air.

Conlan - started slowly as above but seemed to improve as it went on and didn't really do much wrong.

Kelly - one slip but for me did really well in the middle.

Baird - started slowly but improved.

Naismith - improved second half going forward and solid defensively.

Howieson - started brightly but faded. Didn't lose the ball but was the quietest of the midfield 5.

Agnew - again didn't lose the ball. Good distribution and quietly went about his game.

Carswell - again tidy, good passing, dropped deep to pick ball up and quietly got on with things.

Mallan - few heavy challenges dished out by him, but used the ball well and got forward linking with McMullan well.

McMullan - looks a great prospect going forward but left Naismith exposed a few times not tracking back. If he fixes this he will be a great signing.

Thommo - looked fit and full of running which can only be a positive. Often left stranded on his own but with appropriate support and if he stays fit he will hopefully have a great season ahead.

Subs:

Gow - good free kick and although again was a bit isolated at times seemed to put in a shift.

Goodwin - came on in midfield then fell back into centre half role: didn't put a foot wrong but not much else to say.

Youngsters on for last 10 - upped the pace of the game for us and looked as good as any of the trialists if not better which can only be a positive for the season to come.

Trialists off the bench:

Reilly- fell over the ball when he should really have pulled the trigger with a shot from 12 yards. Used the ball relatively well otherwise but only had a few touches.

?Rooney at right back did the basics well and seems to have a bit of physical presence.

Forward: didn't have much to go on.

Up against a reasonable Bradford side who played relatively well we didn't look out of our depth. We didn't create much but given it was a friendly against a team that beat Motherwell 3-0 I don't think it is all doom and gloom.

I accept the tippy-tappy comments but whilst Howieson may not have done enough to impress today for a contract I think the key was that the midfield central three didn't lose the ball at all and seemed very comfortable on it. We need to either improve our midfield to forward links through the middle or use the wings to their full potential. Howieson didn't strike me as a winger to be honest although I don't think he was as bad as many have made out. I just think he will have stiff competition in the middle with the three others today and Goodwin.

In summary I'm optimistic, but I am a happy clapper. We played some good stuff but lacked someone to take the game by the scruff of the neck. The youngsters looked good. We are perhaps a bit light weight and hopefully the keeper/central defensive pairing will improve in their ability to deal with cross balls.

Edited by Bart Simpson