St Mirren V Bradford City Friendly Match 18/7/15

shull

It wasn't Thommo's mobility that worried me, it was his touch and his lay offs, which were often clumsy, mishit or didn't find the man.

He also suffered from complete lack of quality deliveries into the box.

We had about 7 or 8 deliveries into the box, all of which were poor.

We desperately require at least one player who can put quality crosses into the box.

I thought we looked a lot better in that 4-3-3 shape early in the second half. Got the wingers further up the park. There seems to be a lot more structure about the team, and players actually look like they know where they're supposed to play, and what they're meant to do. In that respect, yesterday was encouraging.

I'd much rather the team got a good test in pre-season than humping the likes of Whitley Bay, which clearly got us nowhere.

He also suffered from complete lack of quality deliveries into the box.

We had about 7 or 8 deliveries into the box, all of which were poor.

We desperately require at least one player who can put quality crosses into the box.

True. If we were really going for it in games, I'd like to see Morgan and McLear on the wings, who both seemed determined to drive at the full backs and cause problems. McMullan was great in this respect too.

Also, I'd love to see us just SHOOT when around the box. ;) we got into some great positions yesterday.

It wasn't Thommo's mobility that worried me, it was his touch and his lay offs, which were often clumsy, mishit or didn't find the man.

Agreed, but to me it's chicken and egg, better mobility buys you more space & time to make the lay-offs.

We need a striker with pace. Gow and Thompson both have the ability to score goals, but someone to run off them, hassle defenders. That's what Bradford had over us. Kelly, Baird and Ridgers were never allowed to settle on the ball, although they handled it quite well. The boy who scored the goal didn't give them a moments peace and it made a real impact on the way we could move the ball, forced us into a few long punts up the park. Maybe McMullan could play that role, but from his performance yesterday if rather have him out wide, looked a natural winger.

Yup, can't see a Gow & Thompson combo being effective. Would like to see a couple of pacy players (McMullen + A.N. Other) trying to stay close to Thompson.

Bit slack at the centre of defence at times including the goal. Ridgers missed a couple of crosses but did make one great save.Biggest worry for me was Thommocloud9.gif who didn't look particularly mobile.

All that and a lady linesman...........

Agree with 1st two comments but although pace may have been lacking I thought Thommo looked fit and did a fair amount of closing down from the front. A bit of pace as a foil off both him and Gow would go a long way.

I would have thought we could produce a Match Programme as a matter of record, and maybe not for profit.

A limited edition run at reduced price wouldn't have made too much of a loss.

Even a four page effort as part of the ticket price would have been sufficient.

I would have thought we could produce a Match Programme as a matter of record, and maybe not for profit.

A limited edition run at reduced price wouldn't have made too much of a loss.

Even a four page effort as part of the ticket price would have been sufficient.

Something like the pull out poster effort Celtic provided.

Ian Durant was sitting behind me with a couple of other guys taking notes. They were impressed with Stevie Mallan heard a comment you would not get much change for him.

Not a bad game will be able to tell how we are next week in a manful match.

?

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

With Thompson as our main striker we will win f**k all, he's absolutely finished.

Murray isn't daft so I expect us to sign another couple of strikers before the Rangers game.

he will deffo bag us goals in the championship he's had one injury hit season before that I'm not sure he even missed a game in the seasons before

With Thompson as our main striker we will win f**k all, he's absolutely finished.

Murray isn't daft so I expect us to sign another couple of strikers before the Rangers game.

In order for Thommo to score goals you have to get the ball into the box which we failed to do on Saturday because Bradford played a high line forcing our midfield to go deep. Well played Bradford.

In order for Thommo to score goals you have to get the ball into the box which we failed to do on Saturday because Bradford played a high line forcing our midfield to go deep. Well played Bradford.

They played a high line knowing Thommo is done. The ball went in the box a few times, a more mobile striker may even have got a touch. In order to score goals, Thommo will need the ball on his toe with less than a yard of running required. No way he should ever be up top alone, indeed no way we should ever play one up alone this season.

Against my better judgement, I went to the game on Saturday. Sincerely hope this is not the standard we can expect this season or there is no chance of anything like promotion.

I accept pre season games can be misleading but unless some footballers are recruited, it will be another season of non attendance for me, I`m afraid. Very poor show indeed.

Against my better judgement, I went to the game on Saturday. Sincerely hope this is not the standard we can expect this season or there is no chance of anything like promotion.

I accept pre season games can be misleading but unless some footballers are recruited, it will be another season of non attendance for me, I`m afraid. Very poor show indeed.

Against my better judgement, I read this post. Sincerely hope this is not the standard we can expect this season

I accept pre season posts can be misleading but unless some posters up their game, it will be another season of non reading for me, I`m afraid. Very poor trolling indeed

I take it neither of the last two "trollers" attended the match.

I went to the Oldham game and it was so bad I decided to never go to a St. Mirren game again.

Got my ticket for the Berwick game this morning - looking forward to it.