Holidays

El Gingero

Would love to see the Western Isles area.

Helped take my mates boat recently to Oban, Tobermory, Canna, Loch Boisdale on South Harris, then Loch Maddy, and finally Stornaway.

Lots to see in Lewis and Harris if you hire a car.

Well worth the effort.

Think I told you to be carful while over in Rio however pre world cup and just after the government poured Federal Police and army in to Rio by the thousands. There were many raids in the ghettos where most of the chrime comes from. Streets were made a lot safer because of the world cup.

A month after the world cup crime resumed its normality

.In the last couple of days German cyclist was stopped for his bike. He was stabbed to death and the bike taken. Another French man was stopped in broad day light in down town Rio eye witness said the man handed over his wallet then he was stabbed to death.

I spend time in Rio every 6 weeks for a few days and know it well. Know plenty friends who have been robbed at knife point. Make no mistake these figures don't lie.

Be street wise have your wits about you and never walk about alone.

The armed police presence was phenomenal, even across Natal, Recife and Fortaleza. I wondered if they would keep that up through til the Olympics, clearly they haven't.

We stayed in a great part of Copacabana, got great accommodation via Air BnB!

Have been in Cornwall for the last two weeks...weather has been pretty good. Staying in Perranporth which has a huge beach... Yesterday it was taken over by the RFU for a schools touch rugby tournament. I woke up from an afternoon snooze to a Royal Navy Helicopter landing about 300 metres away. Just next to where we were esconced the RFU had set up an area to show off the Rugby World Cup, which is doing a tour of England ahead of the competition in August. Got some cracking pictures to show a couple of my work colleagues who have played rugby at a high level over the years. Be back in time for Bradford game and what I hope is an exciting season of football.sorcerer.gif

Have been in Cornwall for the last two weeks...weather has been pretty good. Staying in Perranporth which has a huge beach... Yesterday it was taken over by the RFU for a schools touch rugby tournament. I woke up from an afternoon snooze to a Royal Navy Helicopter landing about 300 metres away. Just next to where we were esconced the RFU had set up an area to show off the Rugby World Cup, which is doing a tour of England ahead of the competition in August. Got some cracking pictures to show a couple of my work colleagues who have played rugby at a high level over the years. Be back in time for Bradford game and what I hope is an exciting season of football.sorcerer.gif

I'm down that way next week. :)

I'm down that way next week. smile.png

I've got a better tan down here than I get in Spain!! Seem to get outside more as it is not quite as hot. Weather is cracking at moment. I've been down here several times and only once was the weather poor. Back on Sunday though and I see the weather is its usual in Barrhead and Paisley.thumbdown.gifthumbdown.gifthumbdown.gif

Was down at the Lakes for a long weekend with Saturday being the best days. Still beautiful part of the country with warm people. Thank God have booked up for Minorca in September as this is a terrible summer. Boat has been in the water since April and not been out once that has never happened in the 7 yeRs of having it. Waverley just came into Rothesay looks almost empty , not the best of days though.

• 2 years later...

Wouldn't advise going to Brazil.

You take one wrong turn and....................http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40847751

A British woman who was shot after she reportedly travelled to a Brazilian favela by mistake is "lucky" to be alive, according to a local hospital.

Eloise Dixon, her partner and their three children were driving in Angra dos Reis on Sunday, when their car was approached by an armed group, Brazilian newspaper O Globo reported.

She was shot twice, once in the abdomen, but is recovering in hospital.

Ms Dixon's family were unhurt, the paper added.

O Globo said the family had apparently been searching for water to buy in Angra dos Reis - a coastal resort about 90 miles (145 km) from Rio de Janeiro.

According to the O Dia newspaper, they ended up in the Agua Santa - or holy water - community because of a difficulty in understanding the language.

The slum area is known to have drug traffickers.

On the subject of holidays, I wonder if any of you could recommend a place ( lodge ) in Scotland that's suitable to take kids.

We go to a lodge 2 or 3 times a year in Artlegarth ( Off A66 Near Kirkby Stephen ) , it's brilliant.

However my partner & kids want to go to Scotland & I only know Scotland by football grounds as i left Paisley as a teenager (18)

So, we don't need lots of activities as such, but access to shops for food obviously & perhaps stuff within driving distance for days out.

Could anyone please recommend a hot tub/lodge type place not too busy?

Not much of an ask :P

1 minute ago, whydowebother said:

On the subject of holidays, I wonder if any of you could recommend a place ( lodge ) in Scotland that's suitable to take kids.

We go to a lodge 2 or 3 times a year in Artlegarth ( Off A66 Near Kirkby Stephen ) , it's brilliant.

However my partner & kids want to go to Scotland & I only know Scotland by football grounds as i left Paisley as a teenager (18)

So, we don't need lots of activities as such, but access to shops for food obviously & perhaps stuff within driving distance for days out.

Doesn't England have internet..................oh wait. :rolleyes:

Search yerself, lazy trumpet. :lol:

You really want recommendations from HERE? :1eye

Doesn't England have internet..................oh wait. :rolleyes:
Search yerself, lazy trumpet. :lol:
You really want recommendations from HERE? :1eye

Ha , yes , I wouldn't mind suggestions from places people have been to :)

Like you say, checked lots of places online, but hoping you lot might come up with a suggestion, brave move I know :P

1 hour ago, whydowebother said:

My daughter went to a place near Castle Douglas that might fit the bill, and wouldn't be too far too travel. I think it has lodges and pod type accommodation, and some came with hot-tubs.

I'll try to get the name of the place from her.

ETA - this is the place:

https://ggsyard.co.uk/accommodation/

Near the Laggan Outdoor Centre which has loads of activities.

Edited by Drew

58 minutes ago, whydowebother said:

This place gets lots of good reviews.

https://www.lochtay-vacations.co.uk/

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Wouldn't advise going to Brazil.

You take one wrong turn and....................http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40847751

A British woman who was shot after she reportedly travelled to a Brazilian favela by mistake is "lucky" to be alive, according to a local hospital.

Eloise Dixon, her partner and their three children were driving in Angra dos Reis on Sunday, when their car was approached by an armed group, Brazilian newspaper O Globo reported.

She was shot twice, once in the abdomen, but is recovering in hospital.

Ms Dixon's family were unhurt, the paper added.

O Globo said the family had apparently been searching for water to buy in Angra dos Reis - a coastal resort about 90 miles (145 km) from Rio de Janeiro.

According to the O Dia newspaper, they ended up in the Agua Santa - or holy water - community because of a difficulty in understanding the language.

The slum area is known to have drug traffickers.

Have worked in Brazil quite a lot would never take the family there. We have had quite a few guys robbed at knife point. A German tourist was killed for his hired push bike. Rio averages 3,000 murders a year equal to a war zone. That family got off lightly  

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

4 hours ago, whydowebother said:

Drimsynie Estate at Lochgoilhead have lodges with hot tub. I used to go often but not been for many years since it was taken over. Indoor swimming pool, 9 holes golf course, snooker, indoors bowls, boats and bikes for hire and other thinks to do. Around 60 miles from Glasgow and you can drive to places like Inveraray with 30mins.  argyllholidays.com

On 6/10/2015 at 10:23 PM, faraway saint said:

Portugal next Monday, some sun, good food and lots of friends to make it a week of partying. thumbup2.gif

got back from Portugal on the 9th of June

6 quid for a voddy and coke ...f**k THAT (and it was shyte voddy too ...gut rot)

We've booked up for a very short city break in Berlin next month. Much cheapness, and only 2 nights, so only really one full day to see the sights.

I wouldn't normally only go for a couple of days but this was costing the same as a couple of nights in a hotel here, so we thought we'd go for it.

So.....

Berlin in a day, anyone? We've worked out a rough itinerary based on suggestions from a Lonely Planet guidebook, but I was wondering if anyone has any must see recommendations.

Berlin is a city I've always been keen to visit, so this will give us a brief flavour, with the hope that we'll be enticed to return.

16 minutes ago, saintargyll said:

got back from Portugal on the 9th of June

6 quid for a voddy and coke ...f**k THAT (and it was shyte voddy too ...gut rot)

Like everywhere it depends where you go and I'll assume they still serve larger than normal measures?

When I was in Portugal, 2 years ago, we were getting 1.40 euros to the pound, suppose you were getting quite a bit less.

The drop in the exchange rate influences everything in the EU I'm afraid.

Never mind, I'm sure your sheep enjoyed the trip. :P

3 minutes ago, Drew said:

We've booked up for a very short city break in Berlin next month. Much cheapness, and only 2 nights, so only really one full day to see the sights.

I wouldn't normally only go for a couple of days but this was costing the same as a couple of nights in a hotel here, so we thought we'd go for it.

So.....

Berlin in a day, anyone? We've worked out a rough itinerary based on suggestions from a Lonely Planet guidebook, but I was wondering if anyone has any must see recommendations.

Berlin is a city I've always been keen to visit, so this will give us a brief flavour, with the hope that we'll be enticed to return.

On a slightly similar note we got a long weekend in Tenerife a couple of years ago for the price we would have paid for, albeit, a very good hotel in Edinburgh.

The UK is extortionate in many places for accommodation and everything that goes with a holiday which, when you can't depend on the weather makes traveling, even with the current euro rate, well worth a consideration.

My son and his fiancée were recently in Berlin but I doubt their holiday would be close to anything that would be of interest to you. (Skateboarding and associated shit)

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

So.....

You'll not really get to savour any of the attractions in one day.

I suggest finding a pub and getting pished on excellent German beer for the duration of your stay.:D

6 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

On a slightly similar note we got a long weekend in Tenerife a couple of years ago for the price we would have paid for, albeit, a very good hotel in Edinburgh.

The UK is extortionate in many places for accommodation and everything that goes with a holiday which, when you can't depend on the weather makes traveling, even with the current euro rate, well worth a consideration.

My son and his fiancée were recently in Berlin but I doubt their holiday would be close to anything that would be of interest to you. (Skateboarding and associated shit)

Does Drew skateboard? well I never.:o