Sheffield Wednesday V St Mirren Friendly 1/8/15

shull

Maybe we could bring back things to perspective by reminding people we drew with ICT a week before they played in Europe.

A team in a higher league than us who regularly finish in the top 5.

Or is it only defeats in friendlies that matter?whistling.gif

Yep, and maybe we should organise 'easy' friendlies against shite like Blyth Spartans and Dumbarton and boost team morale ahead of the new season instead of getting our arses handed to us against giants such as Sheffield Wendy house.whistling.gif

Edited by Stmirren#1

Jeeze. It wasn't a great result granted and disappointing we didn't compete better. 5-0 is poor form.

However to say get rid of Murray is premature. We've played 1 competitive game and won. We are still building a team up. I suspect we will be fighting for playoffs rather than titles this year. Ian Murray needs to be given a few months to get his feet and team performing and will get that. Remember the year we won the title were Adam and Sutton not deadline day signings?

Yep, however gone are those days, Broadfoot, Adam, Kean, Sutton & Lappin . . . . . . sigh.

Sorry to say but Howieson is a complete ghost, does nothing, can't tackle, mark or pick up a player. A junior player at best, not looking good.

have to echo what people are saying, we have played 1 game!

give them time to bed in

its a long season and i personally aren't put off with score today but i wld say ridgers need competition now as some of the goals could have and should have been avoided

as some have said our games start on friday

Thoughts on St Mirren?

I was quite surprised if honest in the difference between the sides, like a few of you guys have mentioned in this thread the budget we operate on is depressingly different, its shocking how much money is spent in the Championship now. That aside, we've had a poor pre-season and were well beaten 4-2 by Scunthorpe this week so I think our new manager demanded a much better performance today. We've brought in this new Portuguese Manager over the Summer (and several Portuguese players to go with him) with a promise of entertaining attacking football, despite having a good season last year we somehow managed to win only 5 games at home and score an incredible 16 goals.

Its an exciting time for us at the minute, with our ambitious new chairman and this will probably turn out to be the best Wednesday side for at least 15 years.

Pre-season is odd though, so I wouldn't worry too much about the scoreline today, with what in fairness was a youthful side we managed to lose 14 - 0 against Alfreton a few years ago (which our red and white friends across the city have never let us forget).

Good luck for the Rangers game.

I was quite surprised if honest in the difference between the sides, like a few of you guys have mentioned in this thread the budget we operate on is depressingly different, its shocking how much money is spent in the Championship now. That aside, we've had a poor pre-season and were well beaten 4-2 by Scunthorpe this week so I think our new manager demanded a much better performance today. We've brought in this new Portuguese Manager over the Summer (and several Portuguese players to go with him) with a promise of entertaining attacking football, despite having a good season last year we somehow managed to win only 5 games at home and score an incredible 16 goals.

Its an exciting time for us at the minute, with our ambitious new chairman and this will probably turn out to be the best Wednesday side for at least 15 years.

Pre-season is odd though, so I wouldn't worry too much about the scoreline today, with what in fairness was a youthful side we managed to lose 14 - 0 against Alfreton a few years ago (which our red and white friends across the city have never let us forget).

Good luck for the Rangers game.

Thanks, appreciate the input.

Season starts at Dumbarton game for me, really looking forward to it :)

Another deluded fool how can you be a fan and back this guy? Were you even there today or the Burnley game I think not

No, I was not at the game today but the only fool is you knickerwetting over a defeat to a much better side and even more ridiculous claiming our manager should be sacked. How long have you been watching the team? I have since 68 and have seen us in a much worse state. You need to give Murray time to at least let the ink dry on his contract. I am a realist who supports a club on very limited resources playing in front of small crowds. The damage to our club was not caused by Ian Murray but the last 2 managers and Board. Murray inherited a shit squad and needs time to rebuild. It would have been beneficial if we were still in the SPL with more money but we are not. Again, exactly who would you want to replace him and who in their own mind would take the job if a board sack you for losing a pre-season friendly match?

How can I be a fan? How about supporting my manager, team and club as I gave done for 47 years in good and bad times. Why don't you try it?

Edited by nedflanders123

Some of the nuggets on here struggle to understand some of the other nuggets on here who happily accept shite

We are a club living within our means who lose out to clubs living out with their means when trying to attract a better quality of player. It is not about accepting shite but accepting that, at this time, we are on the wane and need to begin rebuilding. What is the alternative? Walking away and the club losing out financially or getting behind and supporting the club towards getting back in the right direction? It's a medium to long term task as reversing the awful last 2 or 3 seasons cannot be rectified without serious cash injections.

Evening lads, thought I'd pop in to give my thoughts.

Football wise, got to be honest, you did look pretty dire, but given the dearth of money in Scottish football, compared to the championship where the price tags are getting as laughable as the PL, it's nothing to get worked up about. For the first 20 minutes you looked OK but whoever you had at left back got absolutely rinsed by Ross Wallace and it basically led to a hole you couldn't climb out of. It looked like you had a fair few kids out there and it was almost certainly a positive experience playing at a bigger ground like Hillsborough. Pre-season means very little, we had four put past us by bleeding Scunthorpe on Wednesday. Got to say, I'm no expert on goings on in Paisley, but calling for the manager's head when he hasn't been in charge for a single league game does just seem a tiny bit premature.

One last thing - your fans were a credit to the team today, there's been a fair few sides who haven't brought anywhere near that (Wigan, QPR and Reading spring to mind) and you made plenty of noise. Very best of luck for your game against Rangers next week, hope you give them a right tonking. I'll be keeping an eye out for you this season, hope to see you back in the SPL soon.

I have a made up friend who is a Wednesday fan who was at the game and he was shocked at how bad we were, he says we are by far the worst team they have come up against for a long time.

All in all pretty embarrassing!

That's handy. 1eye.gif

Who'd have thunk it, your imaginary friend fuels your every depressing views? lol.gif

Edited by faraway saint

Evening lads, thought I'd pop in to give my thoughts.

Football wise, got to be honest, you did look pretty dire, but given the dearth of money in Scottish football, compared to the championship where the price tags are getting as laughable as the PL, it's nothing to get worked up about. For the first 20 minutes you looked OK but whoever you had at left back got absolutely rinsed by Ross Wallace and it basically led to a hole you couldn't climb out of. It looked like you had a fair few kids out there and it was almost certainly a positive experience playing at a bigger ground like Hillsborough. Pre-season means very little, we had four put past us by bleeding Scunthorpe on Wednesday. Got to say, I'm no expert on goings on in Paisley, but calling for the manager's head when he hasn't been in charge for a single league game does just seem a tiny bit premature.

One last thing - your fans were a credit to the team today, there's been a fair few sides who haven't brought anywhere near that (Wigan, QPR and Reading spring to mind) and you made plenty of noise. Very best of luck for your game against Rangers next week, hope you give them a right tonking. I'll be keeping an eye out for you this season, hope to see you back in the SPL soon.

Thanks for giving a hoot. thumbup2.gif

Look lets get one thing clear..."friendlies" ..are boring shit and mean nothing...they always have done

i hated playing in them and hate to this day

Aug 7th we will win

BELIEVE !!!!

I agree with saintargyll. thumbup2.gif

Fell asleep at Picadilli.... Goodbye Bag, goodbye Wallet. Great weekend but. :)

We are St Mirren

We're wonderful

We go crazy every time we score a goal

And when we win

You'll hear us sing

Our famous song oh when the Saints go marching in

Ole ole

ole ola

ole ole ole ole ole ola

ole ole

ole ola

ole ole ole ole ole ola