First Team Squad

Dumbarton have signed 12 players who are of such quality that Warburton is livid that he wasn't alerted. It will be tough for any club to finish above the Sons this season.

I had a long conversation with Stevie Aitken last night in the suite , plenty of interesting wee snippets from him. Dunfermline and Dumbarton spoke to Stranraer about his availability but e had heard we were interested too , he would have loved to have come to us mainly because of the set-up and potential we have. He was offered the Dunfermline job on a one-year deal but turned it down , mainly because he couldn't give up his job outside the game for a one year deal. Says that he got the feeling that our BOD were quite happy to be relegated given the opposition in the league next season , he says they also expect us to be in the Championship for a few seasons. He says he doesn't know the guy Spalding who'll be Murray's assistant but there were raised eyebrows at Dumbarton when he got the job here , he said it's very much a Longwell type of appointment ie no experience with full time players at our level. He can't believe how much £ has been made available to him a Dumbarton , he signed Darren Barr yesterday and just missed out on Frazer Wright , who signed yesterday for another year on reduced wages at Perth . Remit is 8th place , but could do better than that !

Edited by billyg

I had a long conversation with Stevie Aitken last night in the suite , plenty of interesting wee snippets from him. Dunfermline and Dumbarton spoke to Stranraer about his availability but e had heard we were interested too , he would have loved to have come to us mainly because of the set-up and potential we have. He was offered the Dunfermline job on a one-year deal but turned it down , mainly because he couldn't give up his job outside the game for a one year deal. Says that he got the feeling that our BOD were quite happy to be relegated given the opposition in the league next season , he says they also expect us to be in the Championship for a few seasons. He says he doesn't know the guy Spalding who'll be Murray's assistant but there were raised eyebrows at Dumbarton when he got the job here , he said it's very much a Longwell type of appointment ie no experience with full time players at our level. He can't believe how much £ has been made available to him a Dumbarton , he signed Darren Barr yesterday and just missed out on Frazer Wright , who signed yesterday for another year on reduced wages at Perth . Remit is 8th place , but could do better than that !

We'll finish above them Murray will do a good job.

I would rather he said nothing about our club(supposition and/or feelings he had) and concentrated on his own club. There has been so official statement on our assistant manager so unless Aitken knows something we don't he should perhaps say nothing about Spalding.

If I was a Dumbarton fan I wouldn't be happy with our manager speaking so freely to fans of other clubs about club matters.

Especially if they ended up on the internet.

Dumbarton are going to be stronger that what they were last season , if I was a Dumbarton fan I'd be happy , at least they're making signings and showing their intention to improve.

I would rather he said nothing about our club(supposition and/or feelings he had) and concentrated on his own club. There has been so official statement on our assistant manager so unless Aitken knows something we don't he should perhaps say nothing about Spalding.

Too bad , eh ! We're always looking for solid info on here , and he more or less confirmed that Spalding's the new assistant , so better get used to it ! BTW , he wasn't telling me anything about Spalding that he didn't think I already knew !

Dumbarton are going to be stronger that what they were last season , if I was a Dumbarton fan I'd be happy , at least they're making signings and showing their intention to improve.

Billy, they signed 2 guys from Dunfermline who were not good enough. Signing a lot of players does not guarantee a good team. They may be better than last year but I am not worried about them. Like others have said, wait and see who Murray brings in and I would wager they will be of higher quality than Dumbarton's signings. You have been around long enough to know that nothing surprises you with us. In 1999/2000 we were tipped as one of the favourites to go down. A new manager came in and look what happened.

I really don't think we should be concerning ourselves with what Dumbarton are doing.

We're obviously going to sign players, let IM do the job that he's here to do. I would much rather he sat tight and signed the correct targets instead of jumping in with both feet and signing pish like Tommy Craig did.

A bit strange that Reilly is still listed as part of the squad and Sadlier isn't.

Thought both of them were in the exact same boat regarding having facilities to try and win a deal?

Sadlier's contract ended as at June 1st whereas Reilly is a St Mirren player till July 1st

Stevie Aitken knew , just like Big Jock ????

Have the players returned for pre-season training yet? And if not then when does it start? Our first pre-season game is in 3 weeks and we barely have enough players to make up a team at the moment, hope McGinn and Thommos contracts are sorted one way or the other soon so Murray knows how much money is available.

Have the players returned for pre-season training yet? And if not then when does it start? Our first pre-season game is in 3 weeks and we barely have enough players to make up a team at the moment, hope McGinn and Thommos contracts are sorted one way or the other soon so Murray knows how much money is available.

Opportunity for trialists.

• 3 weeks later...
Update on our first team squad according to st.mirren.net
First Team Squad
0 McMullan, Paul FWD 0 Carswell, Stuart MID 0 Agnew, Scott MID 2 Naismith, Jason DEF 3 Kelly, Sean DEF 6 Goodwin, Jim DEF 8 Gow, Alan MID 9 Thompson, Steven FWD 12 Ridgers, Mark GK 14 Reilly, Thomas FWD 30 Baird, Jack DEF 31 Mallan, Stephen MID 32 McLear, Lewis MID 34 Morgan, Lewis MID 36 Cuddihy, Barry MID 49 Callaghan, Allan (sponsor) SPR 50 Fulton, Jack (sponsor) SPR

4 Defenders, 7 Midfield, 3 Forwards. Still far too light.

Well of course it is still mid July and our first league game is 4 weeks away. I don't think anyone's squad is nearly complete yet, ours being no exception.

Got a decent experienced spine there though. A lot of guys with a lot of top flight games under their belt. Wide areas need strengthening and a right sided defender, and we will be about good to go.

Well of course it is still mid July and our first league game is 4 weeks away. I don't think anyone's squad is nearly complete yet, ours being no exception.

Got a decent experienced spine there though. A lot of guys with a lot of top flight games under their belt. Wide areas need strengthening and a right sided defender, and we will be about good to go.

Of course I agree with most of what you say TC, 'though I do think we need a wee bit more cover than that. We also need to add a goalkeeper as Dan Wilks is only 19 with no first team experience.