New 1877 Members Only Supporters Club

Can't see this discussed anywhere else but see the Fans Council are launching a members supporters club tomorrow, the "1877 club", limited to 300 members on a first come first served basis.

£50 to join and then £120 per annum (£10 a month) if I read it correctly. Less for kids.

Afraid someone has to pay for it. Club were not going to.

I appreciate that mate but £120 for a facility that is open less than 20 times a year isn't great, pay at the door would have been better IMO. This has worked well in the hospitality suite on smaller cup games.

Open the place up, charge a small fee per game and fill it every home game. With only 300 members I reckon it will be way under capacity every week (after the initial opening period) and the casual punter who would want to come in a have a few jars now and again will spend their cash elsewhere.

What about away fans? I take it they can't use the facility either?

Edited by davidg

A members only club where you can't sign in any of your friends in.

I'd invest in a membership if it was open to everyone and was a resource to generate funds for the club, but basically handing part of the stadium over to a clique of 300 people with the cash to put up front isn't for me.

Can't see this discussed anywhere else but see the Fans Council are launching a members supporters club tomorrow, the "1877 club", limited to 300 members on a first come first served basis.

£50 to join and then £120 per annum (£10 a month) if I read it correctly. Less for kids.

Wonder how they stumbled over that idea?

Anyway the original idea in calling it the 1877 club, was to have..... Ok guess how many members as a minimum??? Yip thats right 1877....

Of all ages, sizes etc fleecing people for these fees before you have crossed the door means they want to keep put the 'riff raff' you know anyone without a blazer/golf jumper. Whatever happened to 'One Town, One Team'? Has that motto been added to?

One Town, One Team..... And exclusive membership facilities for us mates at £170 a year. No wonder they haven't publicised it.

I appreciate that mate but £120 for a facility that is open less than 20 times a year isn't great, pay at the door would have been better IMO. This has worked well in the hospitality suite on smaller cup games.

Open the place up, charge a small fee per game and fill it every home game. With only 300 members I reckon it will be way under capacity every week (after the initial opening period) and the casual punter who would want to come in a have a few jars now and again will spend their cash elsewhere.

Can only 300 in if let away in they would be no room for home fans. What wud be the point of that. But it's very simple if you don't want to be a member than that's your choice.

Can only 300 in if let away in they would be no room for home fans. What wud be the point of that. But it's very simple if you don't want to be a member than that's your choice.

We'll have 300 members and it will be under capacity most weeks. That's the point.

Even when there's only 200 in the place you won't let visitors in just in case a member is turned away.

Small entry fee on a weekly basis, first ones through the door and fill it every week.

I pay a pretty hefty price every year in my golf club fees.... but I can sign guests in and bring a mate to the club.

Sorry, I'm out. Purely a personal view, but when I harboured hopes of a supporter's bar being created in the void, I didn't envisage a 300 strong members only club.

No offence to the Fan Council because I can see what they are trying to do, but this just doesn't sit right with me.

I'll ask what I think is a fairly obvious question... what happens to members if a new owner decided to not let them use the void once construction complete, or insists that the rate of charge goes up?

that would be a risk in anything you joined-from a gym to a book club.

I would add, I think it is a good idea, but pricing is a bit dodgy. All of the start-up costs are loaded on to founder members and there SHOULD be a committment to a lower monthly fee for year 2 onwards-and how about a discount for up-front payment of a year's subs

i should add-since it is a club looking for a founders fee, this entails a degree of ownership for those who pay the start-up costs. If you join as a founder and resign your membership later, can you recoup you £60 by selling on to a person on the waiting list?

It says it is a club, so there should be a written constitution available before money changes hands

Edited by beyond our ken

Ah yes in typical blackandwhitearmy fashion let us weigh straight in with the negative.

I shall rebuke your negative post with language of the type that should be more prevelant on this forum.

1) Well done to the fans council on actually making something happen here. Undoubtedly the club are heavily involved but from my perspective the fans council appear to be at the very least a partial driver in this project.

2) Massive thank you to the fans council also for not pricing this out of the range of your average fan. Whislt the need to finance the project has undoubtedly been considered I must congratulate you on resisting the temptation to price the average fan out. Often in football the lifeblood fans are bled dry or outpriced as the faceless grey suits only chase the money. At £120 per annum it is certianly not cheap but will be affordable to many. Books appear to be balanced with a modicum of sense. You have my admiration and my thanks.

3) A general thank you for all your hard work. Often on this very forum we read the senseless diatribe of those who profess to know everything about our club but who in practice do very little (or nothing, some do not even attend games). You give up your time and apply your energy always to the benefit of us fans and our club. From a fan who has enjoyed a number of your events and who appreciates all that you do, thank you.

Now I shall return you to the ill-thought criticism that has already begun.

Ah yes in typical blackandwhitearmy fashion let us weigh straight in with the negative.

I shall rebuke your negative post with language of the type that should be more prevelant on this forum.

1) Well done to the fans council on actually making something happen here. Undoubtedly the club are heavily involved but from my perspective the fans council appear to be at the very least a partial driver in this project.

2) Massive thank you to the fans council also for not pricing this out of the range of your average fan. Whislt the need to finance the project has undoubtedly been considered I must congratulate you on resisting the temptation to price the average fan out. Often in football the lifeblood fans are bled dry or outpriced as the faceless grey suits only chase the money. At £120 per annum it is certianly not cheap but will be affordable to many. Books appear to be balanced with a modicum of sense. You have my admiration and my thanks.

3) A general thank you for all your hard work. Often on this very forum we read the senseless diatribe of those who profess to know everything about our club but who in practice do very little (or nothing, some do not even attend games). You give up your time and apply your energy always to the benefit of us fans and our club. From a fan who has enjoyed a number of your events and who appreciates all that you do, thank you.

I don't see ill-thought criticism. I see people giving reasons for their criticism, which they are entitled to do.

First and foremost the idea of a supporters bar in the main stand is a sound one.

With the club unwilling/unable to fund the setup it was always going to be difficult to find the capital to fit the area out properly.

I do wonder if the recurring membership model is the right one though.

I'd have thought it would have made more sense to have say 100 founding members paying say £250 up front for "life membership" thus meeting the fit out budget (those punters would get free entry until they pop their clogs), and leaving a capacity of 200 on match day for walk up punters to pay a small entry fee.

Just my 2p worth. The danger of the current model is that say I pay my £10 a month but for whatever reason I don't make it along to 4 games in a row. The club would generate £2.50 of revenue every week from me as opposed to being able to get entrance money, food and drink spend from walk up punters on those days.

I don't think the revenue model is right but I am sure the guys have thought this all through so fair play to them.

If my mates are up for joining then I will join too.

First and foremost the idea of a supporters bar in the main stand is a sound one.

With the club unwilling/unable to fund the setup it was always going to be difficult to find the capital to fit the area out properly.

I do wonder if the recurring membership model is the right one though.

I'd have thought it would have made more sense to have say 100 founding members paying say £250 up front for "life membership" thus meeting the fit out budget (those punters would get free entry until they pop their clogs), and leaving a capacity of 200 on match day for walk up punters to pay a small entry fee.

Just my 2p worth. The danger of the current model is that say I pay my £10 a month but for whatever reason I don't make it along to 4 games in a row. The club would generate £2.50 of revenue every week from me as opposed to being able to get entrance money, food and drink spend from walk up punters on those days.

I don't think the revenue model is right but I am sure the guys have thought this all through so fair play to them.

If my mates are up for joining then I will join too.

I was thinking the same, I get that they need money up front but if only 300 people can use it then it is probably going to be 2/3rds full most of the time as not everyone can attend every week. They are losing out on 100 potential walk in punters spending say £20 a head on food and drink every home game.

It's not ill-thought criticism at all and I believe the fans council have their hands tied a bit here.

It's constructive criticism from a genuine fan who believes we have missed the chance to maximise the footfall and income of the void due to an ill-thought out membership structure.

Where does the money to actually fit out the void come from, I would have thought you were talking about six figure sums to get the place fitted and operational, if you are only getting £15k from initial joining fees, is there an element of borrowing or is the club financing it? Not a criticism btw, just wondering?