New 1877 Members Only Supporters Club

The last price from McLaughlan and Harvey , previously BARR was over 200k to complete this area, is this John McGinn money?

No timescale is mention,will it be complete this year?

And is 1877 club not the legal name of SMiSA??

Smisa is the 1877 Society Ltd and is a Co-operative and Community benefit society. AFAIK It's not connected with this project.

The last price from McLaughlan and Harvey , previously BARR was over 200k to complete this area, is this John McGinn money?

Guess with 300 members they will be looking at guranteed income of around £2500 a month, assuming there is a mix of 2 adults for every kid. Guess you could borrow a reasonable amount and service it with that income. Not sure what rental the club would be taking or if they are in for profit share.

Up front money on the same ratio would give them about £12.5K of initial capital. Not a lot when you think about costs of fitting out the place.

Guess the revenue model will depend on how much they can squeeze out of the facility on non-match days. That's going to be pretty crucial I'd have thought.

Just shy of three years since the 10000hours bid was rejected and the BoD stating that fitting out The Void was a priority and we get this wizard wheeze. The Fans Council are being used as a bunch of patsy's by a BoD who should cut their losses and get out at the next opportunity.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Ah yes in typical blackandwhitearmy fashion let us weigh straight in with the negative.

I shall rebuke your negative post with language of the type that should be more prevelant on this forum.

1) Well done to the fans council on actually making something happen here. Undoubtedly the club are heavily involved but from my perspective the fans council appear to be at the very least a partial driver in this project.

2) Massive thank you to the fans council also for not pricing this out of the range of your average fan. Whislt the need to finance the project has undoubtedly been considered I must congratulate you on resisting the temptation to price the average fan out. Often in football the lifeblood fans are bled dry or outpriced as the faceless grey suits only chase the money. At £120 per annum it is certianly not cheap but will be affordable to many. Books appear to be balanced with a modicum of sense. You have my admiration and my thanks.

3) A general thank you for all your hard work. Often on this very forum we read the senseless diatribe of those who profess to know everything about our club but who in practice do very little (or nothing, some do not even attend games). You give up your time and apply your energy always to the benefit of us fans and our club. From a fan who has enjoyed a number of your events and who appreciates all that you do, thank you.

Now I shall return you to the ill-thought criticism that has already begun.

I gave a Like for the well done part to the Fans Council as it is easy to stand on the sidelines and gripe but a totally different matter to take the responsibility and set the thing up.

However I do believe the model is wrong in that it restricts who has entry and potentially limits cash input through weekly sales for members who cannot attend. Just my opinion.

Timescale apparently is 'late 2015'

First and foremost the idea of a supporters bar in the main stand is a sound one.

With the club unwilling/unable to fund the setup it was always going to be difficult to find the capital to fit the area out properly.

I do wonder if the recurring membership model is the right one though.

I'd have thought it would have made more sense to have say 100 founding members paying say £250 up front for "life membership" thus meeting the fit out budget (those punters would get free entry until they pop their clogs), and leaving a capacity of 200 on match day for walk up punters to pay a small entry fee.

Just my 2p worth. The danger of the current model is that say I pay my £10 a month but for whatever reason I don't make it along to 4 games in a row. The club would generate £2.50 of revenue every week from me as opposed to being able to get entrance money, food and drink spend from walk up punters on those days.

I don't think the revenue model is right but I am sure the guys have thought this all through so fair play to them.

If my mates are up for joining then I will join too.

That seems like a sensible idea to me. Would suit the would be sausage roll thief as well as the guys who want to grab a beer and a catch up before games. The 300 membership will sell out fairly quickly I'd imagine. I wouldn't get enough use of it, but when it suits I'd happily pay to get in and pay for food and drink before a game. I would imagine there are plenty of people in the same boat.

With a pay on the day idea people would get in early to ensure they get in. What you might see is that members are in no rush to get down therefore spend less. Guaranteed membership fees with the current model but potentially less takings at the tills.

That seems like a sensible idea to me. Would suit the would be sausage roll thief as well as the guys who want to grab a beer and a catch up before games. The 300 membership will sell out fairly quickly I'd imagine. I wouldn't get enough use of it, but when it suits I'd happily pay to get in and pay for food and drink before a game. I would imagine there are plenty of people in the same boat.

With a pay on the day idea people would get in early to ensure they get in. What you might see is that members are in no rush to get down therefore spend less. Guaranteed membership fees with the current model but potentially less takings at the tills.

Yes mate, spot on. I get the need for guranteed revenue, most likely to service some borrowing, but it's a real shame they couldn't have left some scope for pay as you go punters. The boys I go to the games with don't live near Paisley so it won't always suit them to come along early, they are unsure about joining as it's going to be close on £250 per annum for a dad with two boys, it's quite a commitment.

Supporters Club Update

We just wanted to provide an update at this point in time and answer some points raised on this forum to date..

We have received 100 applications in 2 hours.

We are offering every supporter the same opportunity to join.

We are limited by the official capacity to 300.

The vast majority of the cost is being met by the club.

We would have liked the ability to offer a sign in facility for friends but we have to make sure there are no health and safety issues with regard potential over crowding. We will monitor the occupancy rate and may review this in future.

Our priority is to provide a facility for St.Mirren supporters not away fans .

Hope this helps but you can e mail us at [email protected] for any specific questions you may have.

Let's make a difference !

St.Mirren Fans Council

Great idea but not for me as I drive to most home games.Spoke to the boys I go to games with and they were up for it until they realised that if I wanted to join them I wouldn't be allowed in.

I trust the Fans Council will have to pay for membership too?

Great idea, I also drive to most games however I'd change to this if friends and family are up for it.

The down side is that when the visiting fans are coming I sometimes go for a beer with them but they aren't allowed in.

However I'm sure things will develop over time. Well done the fans council for having the balls and the energy to get this up and running. I sincerely wish them every success.

Getting a bar into the Void should have been done years ago.

Good idea, but there is about 10 or so of us that meet up at the pub in Paisley before the games, have a few beers and head down. We would head down earlier and spend money in the bar, but to pay a joining fee of £50, and a membership of £120... Wouldn't work for us.

Appreciate it has to be financed someway, that's why I like Div's suggestions - 100 x £250 for life time memberships with the remainder making a donation at the door. There would have to be someone at the door collecting donations anyway - so they'll be able to monitor numbers.

The big question that everyone has seemed to forget to ask...... How much for a pint?

Supporters Club Update

We just wanted to provide an update at this point in time and answer some points raised on this forum to date..

We have received 100 applications in 2 hours.

We are offering every supporter the same opportunity to join.

We are limited by the official capacity to 300.

The vast majority of the cost is being met by the club.

We would have liked the ability to offer a sign in facility for friends but we have to make sure there are no health and safety issues with regard potential over crowding. We will monitor the occupancy rate and may review this in future.

Our priority is to provide a facility for St.Mirren supporters not away fans .

Hope this helps but you can e mail us at [email protected] for any specific questions you may have.

Let's make a difference !

St.Mirren Fans Council

Cat's out the bag!

Getting a bar into the Void should have been done years ago.

Good idea, but there is about 10 or so of us that meet up at the pub in Paisley before the games, have a few beers and head down. We would head down earlier and spend money in the bar, but to pay a joining fee of £50, and a membership of £120... Wouldn't work for us.

Appreciate it has to be financed someway, that's why I like Div's suggestions - 100 x £250 for life time memberships with the remainder making a donation at the door. There would have to be someone at the door collecting donations anyway - so they'll be able to monitor numbers.

The big question that everyone has seemed to forget to ask...... How much for a pint?

Now young Thomas that is indeed the question.

I shall hazard the first guess at £7.25

Fair play to the fans council for getting something moving on this. However I think this is going in the wrong direction.

I'd have happily contributed the same amount if this was open to all supporters, or at the very least you could bring a guest.

This model has to alienate a lot of people who would have signed up and I think the end result will be a bar that is under capacity on match days, ultimately meaning lost revenue for the club. I'd much rather have one that had people being turned away because it is crammed full of folk buying drinks.

Good luck but I'm out.

Cat's out the bag!

Could argue it contracts this bit from http://www.supportsmfc.co.uk/smfc1877club.html

Why have’nt the club developed this area of the stadium ?
Funding the build costs takes away money from the playing budget and with a Corporate hospitality area already in place it has
never been a priority for the club.

First and foremost the idea of a supporters bar in the main stand is a sound one.

With the club unwilling/unable to fund the setup it was always going to be difficult to find the capital to fit the area out properly.

I do wonder if the recurring membership model is the right one though.

I'd have thought it would have made more sense to have say 100 founding members paying say £250 up front for "life membership" thus meeting the fit out budget (those punters would get free entry until they pop their clogs), and leaving a capacity of 200 on match day for walk up punters to pay a small entry fee.

Just my 2p worth. The danger of the current model is that say I pay my £10 a month but for whatever reason I don't make it along to 4 games in a row. The club would generate £2.50 of revenue every week from me as opposed to being able to get entrance money, food and drink spend from walk up punters on those days.

I don't think the revenue model is right but I am sure the guys have thought this all through so fair play to them.

If my mates are up for joining then I will join too.

Some really good points and overall I agree with most of them.

However as you point out there is no guaranteed income. Also in the early days it is likely that it would be full resulting in many being turned away. This would likely put some off trying again.

Over time punters rolling up to pay an entrance fee might be a challenge especially when the team is struggling.

Could argue it contracts this bit from http://www.supportsmfc.co.uk/smfc1877club.html

Why have’nt the club developed this area of the stadium ?
Funding the build costs takes away money from the playing budget and with a Corporate hospitality area already in place it has
never been a priority for the club.

...............and yet the Fans Council say that the vast majority of the funding comes from the club.

Perhaps it is a bit snide to stand on the outside while offering no alternative, but I have been a fan for six decades now, am a shareholder who "invested" money in the mid-90's that I have no intention of seeking back and would be willing to contribute more under the right circumstances.

All I'm saying is that this another club sanctioned project fronted by the FC.

Fair play to the fans council for getting something moving on this. However I think this is going in the wrong direction.

I'd have happily contributed the same amount if this was open to all supporters, or at the very least you could bring a guest.

This model has to alienate a lot of people who would have signed up and I think the end result will be a bar that is under capacity on match days, ultimately meaning lost revenue for the club. I'd much rather have one that had people being turned away because it is crammed full of folk buying drinks.

Good luck but I'm out.

How happy would you be to be turned away with the nearest pub miles away? After being turned away would you turn up the following week with the possibility of being turned away again?

How happy would you be to be turned away with the nearest pub miles away? After being turned away would you turn up the following week with the possibility of being turned away again?

Yes I think I would but I'd go earlier. In the end it comes down to supply and demand doesn't it? If I was getting turned away regularly, no I wouldn't go back, but in that case we are doing well aren't we?

I'd just rather see this run as something closer to a public bar for supporters. We are undoubtedly limiting our custom here as I am the same as a lot of others who go with a group of friends - it is either all in, or all out.

The drawings i was involved with before had a standing capacity of 306 people. however the 10000hours budget also had new doors from the Void into the main stand so that the space could also be used at half time, and we also had a three or four mezzanine boxes.

It is a great space but not without its design and access problems.

I hope they have set it up so that they can save all the Vat

Yes I think I would but I'd go earlier. In the end it comes down to supply and demand doesn't it? If I was getting turned away regularly, no I wouldn't go back, but in that case we are doing well aren't we?

I'd just rather see this run as something closer to a public bar for supporters. We are undoubtedly limiting our custom here as I am the same as a lot of others who go with a group of friends - it is either all in, or all out.

I think a public entrance would have been great. However the point that I was making is that it doesn't come without problems.

I think with no funding from the club to get it going, this was maybe the reasoning behind it being a subscription based to the capacity numbers, instead of an entry on door fee. There would be no other way of raising the cash to kit it out and get it up and running, unless an investor came in with a loan that was repayable out of the profits.

Gary, does this sound about right?

If there was an investor who put forward the money to get it up and running, would a pay at the door option have been considered?

I think with no funding from the club to get it going, this was maybe the reasoning behind it being a subscription based to the capacity numbers, instead of an entry on door fee. There would be no other way of raising the cash to kit it out and get it up and running, unless an investor came in with a loan that was repayable out of the profits.

Gary, does this sound about right?

If there was an investor who put forward the money to get it up and running, would a pay at the door option have been considered?

the club are paying the bulk of the cost