New 1877 Members Only Supporters Club

There's four or five us that go for a few drinks in the west end before every home game.

We've been saying for a while it would be great if the club had a bar that was open for the fans before home games and some of the money we spend anyway could go to the club. Inverness, Killie and St Johnstone all have bars in their stadiums that are open for home and away fans and if we had similar we'd go there before every home game instead of an outside pub.

As good as the intentions of this is, we certainly aren't interested in paying such an extortionate subscription. Pity!

I trust the Fans Council will have to pay for membership too?

Been plenty of replys from Fans Cooncil since I posted the above but no reply to my question.

So will the FC be paying for membership to the Supporters Club?

Be interesting to hear a response to fans concerns or will it be ignored as we have got the 300 ? The fans council mean well I understand that, however a bit of communication with the support for. Ideas on how we would like to see a club bar run would have been good after all. Was that not how the council was formed in the first place.

true

they are meant to be bridge between the club and the fans, not a decision making body-but it seems thay are not really making ALL the decisions

Reading the minutes, they seem to have debated several options but have been guided by the club into a fairly narrow channel regarding the membership model. I would echo HSS' unanswered question, will the FC participants be paying the same subs If they are then that is great, but will they be selecting themselves at the head of the queue for what wil be an (initially) oversubscribed application?

I was largely in favour, but am beginning to think I would see a better return on my money by spending it at corpie or giving more to SMISA than standing in a half-empty sports bar with a bunch of strangers

Also in the minutes is an indication of the projected initial cash injection, Caesars palace it ain't gonna be! I'd like to think it will be grown and invested in over time. I think I will also ask how the subs & takings will be spent, will they be ring-fenced until the initial outlay is recouped by SMFC? After that, who decides where the profits go-the FC or the SMFC?

Edited by beyond our ken

true

they are meant to be bridge between the club and the fans, not a decision making body-but it seems thay are not really making ALL the decisions

Reading the minutes, they seem to have debated several options but have been guided by the club into a fairly narrow channel regarding the membership model. I would echo HSS' unanswered question, will the FC participants be paying the same subs If they are then that is great, but will they be selecting themselves at the head of the queue for what wil be an (initially) oversubscribed application?

I was largely in favour, but am beginning to think I would see a better return on my money by spending it at corpie or giving more to SMISA than standing in a half-empty sports bar with a bunch of strangers

Also in the minutes is an indication of the projected initial cash injection, Caesars palace it ain't gonna be! I'd like to think it will be grown and invested in over time. I think I will also ask how the subs & takings will be spent, will they be ring-fenced until the initial outlay is recouped by SMFC? After that, who decides where the profits go-the FC or the SMFC?

To be fair to the fans council, the information provided so far does state that no preferential treat will be shown to the council members.

It was the point you've just made about the fans apparently not signing up. I was half way through making the same point you made before deciding "Nah, I can't be bothered with this pish again" so walked away.

If this thread descends into another 10000Hours farce I am holding you chiefly responsible and will be reclaiming the NYCFC team sheet :P

No way are you getting that NYCFC v SMFC team sheet back. I've looked on e-Bay and they are already going for thruppence ha'penny and a half-chewed Bazooka Joe. In ten years time I'll be minted...

Nah, a new 10000hours debate is not something I am keen to have. Div summed it up perfectly likening it to the independence referendum. It started with good debate but ended in acrimony.

It ultimately failed. Like my attempts to shag Kylie Minogue. It ain't happening, time to forget about it and move on.

To be fair to the fans council, the information provided so far does state that no preferential treat will be shown to the council members.

fair enough, i was responding to HSS' comment

the rest of my post stands though,it needs to be more transparent as i sense this is a club initiative that uses the FC as a delivery vehicle

Edited by beyond our ken

I agree, the structure is wrong.

I've applied along with my dad. If one of us doesn't get a membership then I can't see the other taking it. But what's more valuable? Two guys looking for 4-5 pints from 1.30pm or a guy with 3 kids who has the car. Each member should at least be allowed one guest.

It's a good idea, but the structure is just plain wrong.

the people that are more likely to be spending cash are away fans.

I think it is great that the void is being fitted out, I think it's great that there are people driving things forward at the club so well done the fans council.

I have Saturday morning commitments meaning I can rarely get to Paisley before 1.30pm so wouldn't feel I'd be getting value for money if I applied and again with it being only 10% of season ticket holders that might get membership then there is a good chance either you or your mates don't get a chance to join. I think it's a shame that I won't get a chance to sample it due to this.

I have enjoyed beers in stadiums in Perth, QOS and Motherwell where you pay a nominal charge to get in and have a chance to mix with home and away fans, sadly I won't get to experience this in Paisley.

I understand that the membership guarantees a certain amount of income, but I also think it reduces potential. I hope there is a rethink of the structure but from the 'if you don't like it don't join' attitude then it looks like no change will be considered.

I applaud the idea & the efforts of the Fans Council on this.

Is it for everyone ? No. Is it for me ? No Will it be utilised to its full potential every week ? Highly unlikely .

In an ideal world , the void would have / should have been fitted out from the very start but we cant do anything about that now.

I would much rather a walk up facility , open to all St.Mirren fans on a first come first served basis.

I`m not getting my knickers in a twist over this , for those who dont want it , dont join (as ive been reminded several times when i have had a moan about hospitality prices)

One thing i would like though is for interested non members to able to attend as Guests. Perhaps signed in by a member to see if its for you.

Supporter Club Update

Just providing an update re New Supporters Club and giving feedback on points raised by our fellow supporters.

Firstly every Fans Council member who wishes to join the new SMFC 1877 Supporters Club will pay the same rate and on the same terms as every other supporter who joins. Our minutes reflect we do not want any preferential treatment nor do we seek it.

The biggest talking point on this forum would appear to be about "signing in" a mate.

We have obviously discussed this issue so it's not news to us. There are a number of difficulties with this such as the following:

How do we ensure there is no overcrowding ?

How do we make sure that regular paying members are not disadvantaged by the odd supporter who turns up from time to time.

Do we rely on a system where members advise us they will not be using the facility and free up a place ? Who manages this ?

When you sign a pal in does he get in free when members are paying their monthly contribution ? Of course not !

We are open to suggestions to resolve this in a fair manner which DOES NOT disadvantage our paying supporter club members

Let us put it another way ....

Would you like to go to a sports cafe bar where St.Mirren supporters are welcome ?

Would you like to be encouraged to wear your club scarfs and St.Mirren tops in the bar ?

Would you like to be in an environment which encourages the singing of Saints songs ( the clean ones) ?

Would you like to meet Saints players after a game for a chat ?

Would you prefer to put your hard earned money in to the football club you support or a local bar owner ?

If the answer is YES there are only 75 places available at this time on Friday evening at 6pm

The choice is yours.

This is your supporters club !

I applaud the idea & the efforts of the Fans Council on this.

Is it for everyone ? No. Is it for me ? No Will it be utilised to its full potential every week ? Highly unlikely .

In an ideal world , the void would have / should have been fitted out from the very start but we cant do anything about that now.

I would much rather a walk up facility , open to all St.Mirren fans on a first come first served basis.

I`m not getting my knickers in a twist over this , for those who dont want it , dont join (as ive been reminded several times when i have had a moan about hospitality prices)

One thing i would like though is for interested non members to able to attend as Guests. Perhaps signed in by a member to see if its for you.

As many have said, it's highly unlikely that all 300 members will turn up on the day.

Maybe each member could be allowed to bring a guest after a certain time,say 1.30, when the organisers will know how many people are in the place.

This could be introduced after close monitoring of numbers after half a dozen games, in order for a general pattern to be ascertained.

Just a suggestion, which I know is flawed, but might be able to be tweaked in some way.

I really can't see any perfect solution to this.

How do Motherwell, Livingston, Dumbarton and others manage to avoid over-crowding and make visiting St Mirren fans perfectly welcome?

It surely cannot have been an unsurmountable problem - or at least the questions you posed above could, or even should, have been posed to the support at large PRIOR to announcing the creation of a members only private club.

Incidentally, are the club the major funders, or are they not interested?

Supporter Club Update

Just providing an update re New Supporters Club and giving feedback on points raised by our fellow supporters.

Firstly every Fans Council member who wishes to join the new SMFC 1877 Supporters Club will pay the same rate and on the same terms as every other supporter who joins. Our minutes reflect we do not want any preferential treatment nor do we seek it.

The biggest talking point on this forum would appear to be about "signing in" a mate.

We have obviously discussed this issue so it's not news to us. There are a number of difficulties with this such as the following:

How do we make sure that regular paying members are not disadvantaged by the odd supporter who turns up from time to time.

Do we rely on a system where members advise us they will not be using the facility and free up a place ? Who manages this ?

When you sign a pal in does he get in free when members are paying their monthly contribution ? Of course not !

We are open to suggestions to resolve this in a fair manner which DOES NOT disadvantage our paying supporter club members

Would you like to go to a sports cafe bar where St.Mirren supporters are welcome ?

Would you like to be encouraged to wear your club scarfs and St.Mirren tops in the bar ?

Would you like to be in an environment which encourages the singing of Saints songs ( the clean ones) ?

Would you prefer to put your hard earned money in to the football club you support or a local bar owner ?

If the answer is YES there are only 75 places available at this time on Friday evening at 6pm

The choice is yours.

Why not leave "some" capacity for walk up on the day fans ? I think that's the question that most are asking.

Appreciating you want recurring revenue via subscriptions and some up front capital, but having say 150 members, and 150 walk up capacity would give you the best of both worlds. Members get guaranteed entry, walk up punters have to come early or face the "full" sign going up.

I can't believe the current model is best for maximising revenue on a Matchday.

Supporter Club Update

The choice is yours.

Serious question and maybe you'll reply directly to one of my posts for the first time.

Capacity will be strictly enforced obviously due to health and safety and fire regulations.

Will there be room for the playing staff?

Not being funny here but it sounds like numbers are tight...

The part about being open to suggestions to resolve this in a fair manner, isn't it a bit late for this? All of this should have been addressed and looked at prior to applications going out.

Will the goalposts be moved just in time for intersted fans to miss out?

It all seems a bit rushed to me without really going over everything.

Edited by davidg

Why not leave "some" capacity for walk up on the day fans ? I think that's the question that most are asking.

Appreciating you want recurring revenue via subscriptions and some up front capital, but having say 150 members, and 150 walk up capacity would give you the best of both worlds. Members get guaranteed entry, walk up punters have to come early or face the "full" sign going up.

I can't believe the current model is best for maximising revenue on a Matchday.

Sounds like a very sensible idea.

Yours,

Asslicker whistling.gif

Can you imagine. Consulting fans with every decision we make. Nothing would get done. Trust us to do our best. Other ventures we have done have been a great success with the fans who have turned up. And sure this will be the same if you give it a chance.

I agree with your sentiments, to some extent.

However, this initiative depends entirely on fan uptake.

IMO, in this instance, there should have been a huge input from the fans before the rolling out of what seems like a fait accompli.

Can you imagine. Consulting fans with every decision we make. Nothing would get done. Trust us to do our best. Other ventures we have done have been a great success with the fans who have turned up. And sure this will be the same if you give it a chance.

This doesn't come over very well Gary. Seriously, it sounds like pesky supporters getting in the way of the Fan Council doing their business.

The club don't need to consult supporters when they sign players, set season ticket prices, sign deals with Hummel or JD, or change from En Croute to UWS....

The Fan Council however is supposed to be the conduit between fans and club. Seems to me it is heading towards being an insular wee private club that doesn't take kindly to criticism.

The FC don't seem to be consulting the fans on anything though. The other ventures have been good, but none have really involved consultation with the fans.