David Barron

TopCat

He was voted player of the year whilst playing out of position.

He's not fantastic on the ball but is no nonsense in defensive terms, strong and relatively quick.

He chucked it due to an injury problem and pursued a different career.

I wouldn't look at him if we were still in the top flight but we're not.

If he's free of injury I'd happily give him the preseason as a trial period.

Edited by davidg

Surprised at some of the negativity.

We are talking about a guy here who was our player of the year a few years ago. A guy who can play right across the back line and has around 100 top flight games to his name. He's only 27.

He had to give up the game due to horrendous injuries. If he's managed to get himself fit since he left us, what's the problem with giving him another chance?

I have no problems with David Barron. Was a decent player with us , versatile & tough tackling, unfortunate with injuries .

He has been offered a trial & some training with us & if he proves himself , why not ?

One of the main reasons for our interest is that he would be cheap as chips, which unfortunately will be a major deciding factor with all our signings this year.

Was pictured in preseason training yesterday.

It's one we shouldn't be hurrying to give a deal, we aren't going to have much competition. I would start him against Bradford and in any other preseason games we get arranged.

Have a good look at him playing to make sure he's properly fit before giving him a contract.

It's one we shouldn't be hurrying to give a deal, we aren't going to have much competition. I would start him against Bradford and in any other preseason games we get arranged.

Have a good look at him playing to make sure he's properly fit before giving him a contract.

Seems eminently sensible to me. I was stunned he's only 27, TBH.

If, and it's a big if, he's fit enough to compete, then we know how good a player he could be for us, especially at this level. He's a committed guy and I'd like him to prove to be good enough to get a deal, if that makes sense.

I know it was just one moment, but I always think of his thumped effort that kissed the crossbar in that game we don't talk about in 2010. Oh how different things could have been.

Any pics TC?