Club Shop Rebranded

what's pathetic is people like thinking we can afford to turn down this sort of cash. Only three games of football. Get a life ffs

I don't think anyone has a problem with the club renting the stadium out to Celtic for the friendlies mate, or using the corporate hospitality suite, or indeed using the club shop to sell their merchandise.

What a few of us DO have a problem with is taking the St.Mirren Crest down off the wall and replacing it with a Celtic one.

The crest is symbolic, it shouldn't ever be replaced at our own stadium with that of a rival club.

I don't think it would have been unreasonable for Celtic to have a sign out on the street advising Celtic fans that their merchandise was for sale in the shop, or indeed a big sign in the window, but leave the fecking St.Mirren Crest alone. It is OUR stadium, they are just a guest passing through.

I'm not crying about it but I think it lacks a bit of class.

I don't think anyone has a problem with the club renting the stadium out to Celtic for the friendlies mate, or using the corporate hospitality suite, or indeed using the club shop to sell their merchandise.

What a few of us DO have a problem with is taking the St.Mirren Crest down off the wall and replacing it with a Celtic one.

The crest is symbolic, it shouldn't ever be replaced at our own stadium with that of a rival club.

I don't think it would have been unreasonable for Celtic to have a sign out on the street advising Celtic fans that their merchandise was for sale in the shop, or indeed a big sign in the window, but leave the fecking St.Mirren Crest alone. It is OUR stadium, they are just a guest passing through.

Spot on.

Can't say I'm that bothered to be honest. Another club is renting the ground and it's a good deal for both parties. Seems to me that all it displays is Celtic's professionalism in doing some branding, while we still cannot update the HoF boardsssssssss... fades to distance.

Celtic players will be in the home dressing room, Celtic fans will be in the home stands, a Celtic mascot in a big furry hound suit will be poncing around our ground.

I genuinely don't care much about this branding TBH. Good to see there must be a decent relationship between both clubs at boardroom level.

Gie's a signing!

So for those people who aren't in any way at least even irked by this, where do you draw the line?

Would you be happy for instance to give up your season ticket seat to allow the new club fans to take all of the West or Main Stand since it would generate more money for the club?

Genuine question by the way because to some on here it seems that everything is about money.

I've been supporting Saints for over 45 years and we've never had much money.

We've always had our own identity though and that is something to genuinely cherish.

what's pathetic is people like thinking we can afford to turn down this sort of cash. Only three games of football. Get a life ffs

What sort of cash?

That's twice on the thread you've inferred you know the figure.

Spill the beans, help people understand.

So for those people who aren't in any way at least even irked by this, where do you draw the line?

Would you be happy for instance to give up your season ticket seat to allow the new club fans to take all of the West or Main Stand since it would generate more money for the club?

Genuine question by the way because to some on here it seems that everything is about money.

I've been supporting Saints for over 45 years and we've never had much money.

We've always had our own identity though and that is something to genuinely cherish.

Where would I draw the line? If they were up on a cherry picker putting a Celtic sign on our main stadium sign.... The shop doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Can't say I'm that bothered to be honest. Another club is renting the ground and it's a good deal for both parties. Seems to me that all it displays is Celtic's professionalism in doing some branding, while we still cannot update the HoF boardsssssssss... fades to distance.

Celtic players will be in the home dressing room, Celtic fans will be in the home stands, a Celtic mascot in a big furry hound suit will be poncing around our ground.

I genuinely don't care much about this branding TBH. Good to see there must be a decent relationship between both clubs at boardroom level.

Gie's a signing!

Pretty sure the boardroom love in will be one way. Very divisive move by our BoD turning supporters against each other.

I reckon we should sneak Paisley Panda in for a bit of entertainment... well the Panda of circa 2000, not the pale imitation of now

I do agree with that div. But I think a few people going over the top. 2 weeks and it will be gone. Why the mass hysteria

Pretty sure the boardroom love in will be one way. Very divisive move by our BoD turning supporters against each other.

No need for supporters to turn against each other - I am not bothered by the shop sign, others are - absolutely no reason to fall out.

What DOES bother me are our BOD. All it takes, all it bloody well takes, is a quick article on the club website explaining that this re-branding is happening, and while they understand it might rub folk up the wrong way - here's the deal... and then explain a bit why it is a good deal.

Their communication is absolutely fcuking pathetic, a fcuking boot in the baws is what they need.

I'm genuinely quite surprised that a good few folk aren't bothered by this.

How often do we bemoan the number of Paisley and Renfrewshire people who slavishly roll up at Ibrox and Celtic Park, yet seem fine with blatantly marketing one of them right next to the main entrance of our stadium. It is preposterous, and I trust the unfussed among us won't be complaining about people failing to support their local club in future?

How often do we bemoan the number of Paisley and Renfrewshire people who slavishly roll up at Ibrox and Celtic Park, yet seem fine with blatantly marketing one of them right next to the main entrance of our stadium. It is preposterous, and I trust the unfussed among us won't be complaining about people failing to support their local club in future?

We're renting our ground, a sign for a short spell is HARDLY going to make people "slavishly" roll up to Celtic park?

Really, it's not worth getting all hot and bothered about, it'll be gone before you know it.

Not many will actually see it for real anyway, someone delete Divs picture and it won't exist.

Drew, St Mirren gave up the claim to be the local club for local people years ago when Gilmour and the board starting putting price tags on everything. Even two days ago Gilmour was claiming he was making the club more family friendly by charging fans an extra £100 per season per adult and £50 per season per child to spend a few minutes in the stadium prior to matches where Dads can get pished and kids can play Xbox games. The man hasn't got a clue IMO

We're renting our ground, a sign for a short spell is HARDLY going to make people "slavishly" roll up to Celtic park?

Really, it's not worth getting all hot and bothered about, it'll be gone before you know it.

Not many will actually see it for real anyway, someone delete Divs picture and it won't exist.

Turning a blind eye to sectarian hatred is something I could have expected from an Old Firm apologist like yourself... Edited by nosferatu

Not that bothered at all really. If we can we can sign another player or two on the revenue created from these 3 games that allows us to make a real go at getting promoted then its ok with me.

Bigger things in life to worry about than Celtic playing a couple of games at St Mirren Park.

What was wrong with a portacabin like provans used at love st?

There's one sitting behind the away end at Morton that they tow round to the home end for every game doing nothing, could the club not have used something like that?

Would be interesting to know just how we're making from this deal , and how much will get directly reinvested into the playing staff .

If this gives us an extra couple of players that make a difference to our promotion chances , I'll be slightly more forgiving .

Still, I'm far from happy with our ground being handed over like this .

Is the crest coming down though? As far as I can see, our club crest is still there and the only thing that's changed is the club shop sign.

The board should have absolutely let the fans in on this piece of information though.

Edited by djchapsticks

This is surely nothing more than a straightforward commercial arrangement. As far as I am concerned, if the price is right, we should fill our boots. As has been posted a few times already, this signage is a blight on our stadium for a couple of weeks only, after which it will be removed and the final outcome will be that St Mirren will have gained financially.

No need for supporters to turn against each other - I am not bothered by the shop sign, others are - absolutely no reason to fall out.

What DOES bother me are our BOD. All it takes, all it bloody well takes, is a quick article on the club website explaining that this re-branding is happening, and while they understand it might rub folk up the wrong way - here's the deal... and then explain a bit why it is a good deal.

Their communication is absolutely fcuking pathetic, a fcuking boot in the baws is what they need.

Wholeheartedly agree Poz.
Any commercial deal such as this is always going to court some controversy. I was absolutely behind the business decision to rent out the stadium, more so as it is sitting idle. I am entirely less comfortable with the contract clearly allowing a measure of 'rebranding'. A classic 'rough with the smooth'. Given my support for renting it out I'd accept cries of "Suck it up".
However, and as Poz eludes, what is missing is competent management of the change, the three guiding principle being communication, communication, communication. It really is very straight forward. 'We have entered in to a short term commercial deal with Club x, this will be for period Y, the changes to the stadium for this period only will include....., we will use the monies earned to invest in.....'
Leaving that to one side though, would it have been so hard to have engaged the brain before any agreement re. signage? For example, the sign could have been half in half....
St Mirren Football Club Shop (Black and white background)
Celtic Merchandise Available within (Green and White background)
OK, we can debate the wording that all day, but to permit a sign that actually states 'Celtic Football Club' when it's NOT Celtic Football Club, is clearly going to piss on some people's chips.