John Mcginn - Out Of Contract, Away, Farewell, Jacks Grandson Thread.

Wouldn't surpirse me that if he does sign, he plays to the end of the MLS campaign in Oct/Nov and then turns up at another club in Scotland or down south. Many players have done this in the past.

Exactly what I thought. He'll be back at a UK club by this time next year at the latest and they'll pay much less (possibly nothing) than if they signed him now.

Another consequence of this is whether the BOD have budgeted his development fee into this years playing budget? If yes I can't see us signing many more players.

Aye, that's my worry too. There will have to be more signings so hopefully we haven't budgeted for this cash!

Could be one last power play by his agent in a bid to make us accept far less of a fee from a UK club than we're entitled to so we don't lose him for nothing.

Or maybe he just wants to play in the MLS... That is a far higher standard of football than our top flight and the league is growing in popularity and quality every season.

If I was him I'd be grabbing this opportunity with both hands. He could be playing against the likes of Gerard and Lampard etc.

Sounds like a no brainier to me and a fantastic opportunity for John at his age. Better standard of life imo and a chance to play in another English speaking country with someone like Owen Coyle there to help set him up. Only way he would be back in Scotland would be homesickness or lack of playing opportunity. Can't see the attraction of Dundee when living in America.

I wish him the best of luck and thank him for his part in making a little piece of St. Mirren history.

If this is indeed what he's doing, then I find it hard to be as magnanimous as others who think the club has 'spear-shafted' him.

On the contrary, we've helped him develop in to the player he is over a very long period, and he is knowingly engineering himself a move that will rob the club of the compensation that it is due.

The compensation for young players is there for a specific reason - because it recognises the cost/input clubs have to bring them through - and realises that for every one that makes it, there are probably ten that don't.

When players/agents so clearly circumvent it, it leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.

Not sure why FIFA don't just make it applicable across all football clubs, then we wouldn't see diversions like this to exploit a loophole.

There's nothing we can do about this situation but it would be great if the SPFL closed the loophole which would allow a player to make a move like this then turn right back round and be loaned to another Scottish club. A simple rule preventing a player in this situation from playing for another Scottish club for a full calendar year for instance without compensation being paid.

I wouldn't hold my breath mind you. thumbdown.gif

I've stood up for McGinn 100% in the entire 'speargate' fiasco as he was within his rights to claim.

This, however leaves a rather poor taste in the mouth if I'm honest. It's clearly been manufactured to bypass the compensation system set in place to give clubs like ours a fighting chance when a player does come through and prevent them being poached. Clubs like ours need this system and it's shite that it can be clearly exploited like this.

Just like it was John's right to claim against personal injury, it's St. Mirren FC's right to receive the compensation due for developing the lad's career and to have a slimy agent and player bypass that via a loophole is a sore one to say the least.

There's nothing we can do about this situation but it would be great if the SPFL closed the loophole which would allow a player to make a move like this then turn right back round and be loaned to another Scottish club. A simple rule preventing a player in this situation from playing for another Scottish club for a full calendar year for instance without compensation being paid.

I wouldn't hold my breath mind you. thumbdown.gif

I'm not sure thats even within the SPFL/SFA's powers, mate.

Think it'd be a FIFA issue and we all know how kosher they are!

Yesterday's man.

It does call into question our strategy as a club though.

We've ploughed cash into youth development for virtually no return. Clubs like ICT, County and St Johnstone haven't bothered and have been far more successful than us. The SFA do f**k all to support or favour those who develop talent. Why bother?

Get a job lot of English journeymen up every season for the same cost and stop developing young players for other teams to take for free.

I'll guarantee you right now that he will be playing for a British team next summer, if not January. Dirty wee scumbag

No need to abuse him .

Dinnae lower yourself to him and his lawyer's level.

We are dignified Buddies.

End of the day, McGinn has the right to move wherever he likes. Whether its a club that has to pay a development fee, or one that can pick him up for free on the overseas rule. As Bobby Lavatory said, do you really think a player who has spent the last 14 years at a club, would move to the States purely for reasons of doing one over on his former employers?

End of the day, McGinn has the right to move wherever he likes. Whether its a club that has to pay a development fee, or one that can pick him up for free on the overseas rule. As Bobby Lavatory said, do you really think a player who has spent the last 14 years at a club, would move to the States purely for reasons of doing one over on his former employers?

yes

Another consequence of this is whether the BOD have budgeted his development fee into this years playing budget? If yes I can't see us signing many more players.

Possibly, although there is the fact that what we'd offered him as a wage has been freed up.

I've stood up for McGinn 100% in the entire 'speargate' fiasco as he was within his rights to claim.

This, however leaves a rather poor taste in the mouth if I'm honest. It's clearly been manufactured to bypass the compensation system set in place to give clubs like ours a fighting chance when a player does come through and prevent them being poached. Clubs like ours need this system and it's shite that it can be clearly exploited like this.

Just like it was John's right to claim against personal injury, it's St. Mirren FC's right to receive the compensation due for developing the lad's career and to have a slimy agent and player bypass that via a loophole is a sore one to say the least.

This could have been the outcome even if he didn't have the ongoing claim.

That's the rules and unfortunately we've lost out on this one. Great opportunity for him and good luck to him.