John Mcginn - Out Of Contract, Away, Farewell, Jacks Grandson Thread.

The interview makes clear that McGinn was wanting to extend his contract at St Mirren during the close season which saw Tommy Craig take over from Danny Lennon and was only looking to go from one of the worst paid first team members to having an improved contract and on average first team salary or a salary that reflected him usually being one of the first names on the team sheet and without expecting to become one of the top earners at the club. It looks like he was taking the view that getting a few season of regular SPL first team experience was better than getting a big money ASAP and maybe not getting into the first team at his next club. He speaks about trying to just concentrate on doing well when the contract stuff was going on in the background.

I think after 12 months of getting nowhere with the club during the Tommy Craig / Gary Teale era it was getting unlikely he would sign a new contract and speargate sealed that before Murray arrived. I'm sure Murray did say it was one of his top priorities on taking over the reigns to meet with McGinn and try and talk him round. There is no suggestion that Murray offered him any decent deal. I think lots of fans will be disappointed that the club's contract offers to McGinn would appear to have forced him out the door when he seems to have had a level-headed approach to being happy to sign a new contract with SMFC and get more experience rather than seek a big money move as soon as he could and Murray appears to have moved faster to resign Alan Gow ahead of John McGinn!

The best way of getting an improved contract offer would have been to play really well and work really hard. He chose to do neither, that's why he's now playing in the championship.

His not playing well helped relegate us.

The interview makes clear that McGinn was wanting to extend his contract at St Mirren during the close season which saw Tommy Craig take over from Danny Lennon and was only looking to go from one of the worst paid first team members to having an improved contract and on average first team salary or a salary that reflected him usually being one of the first names on the team sheet and without expecting to become one of the top earners at the club. It looks like he was taking the view that getting a few season of regular SPL first team experience was better than getting a big money ASAP and maybe not getting into the first team at his next club. He speaks about trying to just concentrate on doing well when the contract stuff was going on in the background.

I think after 12 months of getting nowhere with the club during the Tommy Craig / Gary Teale era it was getting unlikely he would sign a new contract and speargate sealed that before Murray arrived. I'm sure Murray did say it was one of his top priorities on taking over the reigns to meet with McGinn and try and talk him round. There is no suggestion that Murray offered him any decent deal. I think lots of fans will be disappointed that the club's contract offers to McGinn would appear to have forced him out the door when he seems to have had a level-headed approach to being happy to sign a new contract with SMFC and get more experience rather than seek a big money move as soon as he could and Murray appears to have moved faster to resign Alan Gow ahead of John McGinn!

Pretty certain by the time Murray took over there was zero chance of McGinn re-signing.

Murray didn't ever get to speak to McGinn. He refused to return to the club when Murray was there so Murray never got the chance to talk him round or make him a better offer.

We are now entering the realms of speculative gossip because no-one on here knows for a fact what each player was earning over the past couple of seasons.

What is clear is that in general standards, have dropped from the player pool we had a couple of seasons ago.

For whatever reason, players of ability have been allowed to move on either because they were too good for us (eg. Kenny McLean); or we apparently were not prepared to pay the going rate; or the players did not see eye to eye with the manager. What cannot be argued is that we have gone backwards since the heady days of 2013. It has been the Midas touch in reverse brought about by incompetent stewardship by the BoD. The players brought in a year ago reflected the Board's stale attitude to the welfare of our beloved club.

One thing I am certain of, if we had an in-form John McGinn today, we would not be sitting third bottom of the league.

However, some of the players brought in for this season, have been an improvement on last season's acquisitions, but the jury is till out as to whether the new management team can achieve the improvement that we would all like to see on the pitch in terms of results and consistency.

I like many on here am prepared to give them time to turn things round.

Pretty certain by the time Murray took over there was zero chance of McGinn re-signing.

I did say in my post that speargate had more or less sealed McGinn's decision to look for a move before Murray was appointed, even though the interview suggests there has been no lingering ill- feeling between the two players. As for Kendo's point about earning a better contract by playing well, I think he had two excellent seasons after breaking into the team (under DL) and then along with about 9 other players who were around last season having also played under DL all of them consistently played below what they were capable of for Tommy Craig and Gary Teale (Kello, Naismith, McAusland,Kelly, Teale, Wylde, Thompson all had poorer seasons) and only McLean and Tesselaar and possibly Goodwin performed as expected or well. To suggest McGinn wasn't working hard in training or trying in matches does seem to miss the point that we seemed to have an unhappy squad and paid off two managers 18 months and 12 months before their contracts were up.

Before last season started fans identified McGinn as someone with 12 months on his contract left that we should be attempting to extend his contract and offer him decent terms to encourage him to sign on during the previous close season. McGinn has now said he would have welcomed that very scenario and been keen to spend another year or two at SMFC had a reasonable offer been made.

At the end of the day things didn't end as sweetly as they perhaps could or should have particularly since John was part of the League Cup winning side. Whilst this is disappointing we got some cash, he has moved up in the world, to a vastly superior team who humped us 1-1 at the weekend, and is earning a better living from a short and very fickle career. We also have the potential to earn a bit more if he does well at Hibs.

Time to move on and concentrate on Saints and our players.

McGinn had a contract offer on the table in his penultimate season for us, which he chose not to sign then or throughout last season.

For what it's worth I don't even think he will go on to much. He ended up at Hibs cos no English club were interested in him, a club like that is his level IMO.

Malian is a better prospect for me. It is interesting how a thread on McGinn and various threads on McAusland and other ex players/managers seem to be the most popular topics on this forum this season. They've moved on, we should too.