The Biggest Meltdown And Knickerwetting Thread Ever

shull

All our successful sides have had a strong spine in the team.

Think of the sides that won this division under Fergie, Hendrie and McPherson for example.

We don't have a spine running through the team, we have a lot of young lads but badly lack strength and experience.

We need a strong Central defender, midfielder and Striker.

Whilst the points you make about Goodwin , have validity , it still seems weird that he can't get a game and a useless cunt that doesn't/can't play football , does get a game . .

WTF

I did think Naismith was starting to show the Alex Neil qualities just prior to his injury , especially the way the took the ball right up the park . .

Naismith will be a big miss. Grim all round.

I'm guessing you are referring to Gow. It was like playing with 10 men, and, for me, that would account for the improvement some refer to when Thompson came on (as opposed to anything the striker actually contributed).

Murray needs to get a proper balance in his midfield. It was lacking structure yesterday. Carswell and Agnew didn't seem at all clear in their roles, and there was no shape to the formation. Until he sorts that out, the actual personnel is likely to be a secondary issue.

Naismith will be a big miss. Grim all round.

I'm guessing you are referring to Gow. It was like playing with 10 men, and, for me, that would account for the improvement some refer to when Thompson came on (as opposed to anything the striker actually contributed).

Murray needs to get a proper balance in his midfield. It was lacking structure yesterday. Carswell and Agnew didn't seem at all clear in their roles, and there was no shape to the formation. Until he sorts that out, the actual personnel is likely to be a secondary issue.

Never mind all this... Goodwin. You have been critical of Goodwin in many of your recent posts. Two questions. One - did he shag yer' missus' or take a dump in your pumpkin... and two. Are you about to challenge me to a fight behind the bike sheds at 4 pm over this scandalous and defamatory use of a well-worn forum expression.... I.E. 'What's up, did he shag your bird' or a variation thereof.

Bring haunners'. Bring two twenty year old sons with you if you have them!

Fight! Fight! Fight!

Said before, will say again.

Goodwin was voted by the fans on this website as our second best player last year, behind Kenny McLean.

Some people obviously have some kind of agenda against him, but the majority of fans - as that result shows - appreciate what he brings to the team.

We needed with a voice today and Goodwin would have brought that. He is no messiah (nor Brian) however Goodwin in front of the back four could have shouted instructions to the defence and the midfield. He can also win a ball which no-one in midfield appeared capable of doing. An experienced influence was badly missing today and we had that wasted on the bench.

Absolutely.

Goodwin was voted by the fans on this website as our second best player last year, behind Kenny McLean.

Some people obviously have some kind of agenda against him, but the majority of fans - as that result shows - appreciate what he brings to the team.

No agenda whatsoever from my perspective. It is simply my opinion. Why feel the need to load it? Surely the forum is all about expressing opinions, no? I haven't been remotely abusive when referring to Goodwin. Just stating it as I see it. Others disagree, and that's fine by me.

Think of the sides that won this division under Fergie, Hendrie and McPherson for example.

We don't have a spine running through the team, we have a lot of young lads but badly lack strength and experience.

Indeed.

Look at the side that won in 2006.

Mcgowne, Potter, Broadfoot in central defence with Maxwell as back up. Millen & Murray up front with Reilly in reserve. Charlie Adam was the 'wee boy' but even at 19 he was a giant and physically strong. Up front, Sutton, Keane & Mehmet could all handle themselves.

Go back to Tom Hendrie in 2000. McLaughlin, Turner & Walker in central defence. Murray & Tam Brown in midfield. Yardley & Lavety up front.

These teams had physical strength in them down the spine.

This current side has some of that. Baird & Naismith for example.

But neither Gus or Hendrie would have had Thompson & Goodwin on the bench yesterday with Gow on the pitch and they wouldn't have fielded BOTH McMullan & Morgan!

Looking at the manner we lost the game, and looking at the repeated mistake of the 'Conlan - McMullan' combo', and looking at throwing on a kid following the Naismith injury, and looking at dropping Thompson, Mallan and Howieson in the first place (our experienced striker / best player / Ibrox goalscorer).... Yes, I definitely think Jim Goodwin would have added something yesterday in these circumstances. Leadership, experience, even the ability not to be swatted aside like a lightweight by a tougher looking Dumbarton midfield.

Yes and no. Like Agnew yesterday other than the goal he did little else.

How Mallan ended up on the bench is beyond me.

And clearly Morgan is an ideal impact player coming of the bench

Now thats not true.

He did manage to perform a textbook wrestling grapple on the Dumbarton player to give away the foul which resulted in the first goal.

On Radio Scotland early in the week Derek Ferguson was talking about when he signed for Hearts for £750,000. He said he was absolutely embarrassed the first day in the changing room as every Hearts players was ripped and had a six pack on their six pack. Hearts had every player in the gym every day doing some weight training to build body strength. Something he had never done at Rangers and it showed.

Hearts won the Championship last season with young players but everyone of them was an athlete and strong. Yesterday most of our team (besides Kelly, Baird, Naismith and Thommo) were bullied off the ball at will against part-time players. We constantly lost 50/50s and second balls. More gym work required?

TBH I reckon we're going to see plenty of games like we witnessed yesterday.

Murray has been tasked with trying to get us promoted and to bring through more young players.

Yesterday we witnessed a team which had three players over the age of 21 in the starting line up. We're not going to populate our team with experienced journeymen like Dumbarton have done. I'm not saying that's a bad thing; it clearly isn't when you see the manner in which Dumbarton played yesterday, but like it or not I don't see us doing that.

It as a bit like men against boys at times yesterday. I think Dumbarton's youngest player was 23 years old, with the rest mostly between 25 - 30 and four at thirty plus. That's the type of experience we're lacking, and Murray has to find the right blend of experience and youth, or his arse will be oot the windae, so to speak.

It's not an easy job and it will be frustrating for us, as the young boys tend to be inconsistent. However, if we don't blood them, then how are they going to get the experience they require?

Yesterday Morgan, was often bullied off the ball and was generally , IMO pretty ineffective, and about ten minutes into the 2nd half I would happily have seen him hooked.

However, he eventually found some form, and for me, he was our best attacking player for the last half hour or so, although admittedly that isn't that much of an accolade, given his teammates level of performance.

You could also argue that inexperience cost us the penalty, as we had Cuddihy at RB, with very little first team experience, who was outfoxed by a more experienced player and made a poor tackle. If Naismith had been on, I would like to think that he would have dealt with the situation more effectively.

Our young players will generally perform in fits and starts like this throughout the season, and I'm afraid we might have to get used to it. Not great; but it's where we are in the big scheme of things just now.

As others have mentioned, we desperately need a spine of experience running through the team from 'keeper to striker. If we could get a fit Webster in and get a working partnership between Thommo and Gallagher, or Shankland, if it ever happens, then for me, it's only the midfield that requires an experienced organiser. I'm just not sure that the Jim Goodwin of today is the answer and it will be interesting to see if Murray stands by his current selection or "panics" and restores Goodwin to the team.

Obviously, RB becomes a position that now needs filling with Naismith's injury.

Am I convinced that Murray is the man to improve our fortunes? I'm unsure at present, but I'm willing to give him time to get things right and support him when he merits it.

Edited by FTOF

On Radio Scotland early in the week Derek Ferguson was talking about when he signed for Hearts for £750,000. He said he was absolutely embarrassed the first day in the changing room as every Hearts players was ripped and had a six pack on their six pack. Hearts had every player in the gym every day doing some weight training to build body strength. Something he had never done at Rangers and it showed.

Hearts won the Championship last season with young players but everyone of them was an athlete and strong. Yesterday most of our team (besides Kelly, Baird, Naismith and Thommo) were bullied off the ball at will against part-time players. We constantly lost 50/50s and second balls. More gym work required?

No. Ian Murray has obviously fallen out with Gym.

TBH I reckon we're going to see plenty of games like we witnessed yesterday.

Murray has been tasked with trying to get us promoted and to bring through more young players.

Yesterday we witnessed a team which had three players over the age of 21 in the starting line up. We're not going to populate our team with experienced journeymen like Dumbarton have done. I'm not saying that's a bad thing; it clearly isn't when you see the manner in which Dumbarton played yesterday, but like it or not I don't see us doing that.

It as a bit like men against boys at times yesterday. I think Dumbarton's youngest player was 23 years old, with the rest mostly between 25 - 30 and four at thirty plus. That's the type of experience we're lacking, and Murray has to find the right blend of experience and youth, or his arse will be oot the windae, so to speak.

It's not an easy job and it will be frustrating for us, as the young boys tend to be inconsistent. However, if we don't blood them, then how are they going to get the experience they require?

Yesterday Morgan, was often bullied off the ball and was generally , IMO pretty ineffective, and about ten minutes into the 2nd half I would happily have seen him hooked.

However, he eventually found some form, and for me, he was our best attacking player for the last half hour or so, although admittedly that isn't that much of an accolade, given his teammates level of performance.

You could also argue that inexperience cost us the penalty, as we had Cuddihy at RB, with very little first team experience, who was outfoxed by a more experienced player and made a poor tackle. If Naismith had been on, I would like to think that he would have dealt with the situation more effectively.

Our young players will generally perform in fits and starts like this throughout the season, and I'm afraid we might have to get used to it. Not great; but it's where we are in the big scheme of things just now.

As others have mentioned, we desperately need a spine of experience running through the team from 'keeper to striker. If we could get a fit Webster in and get a working partnership between Thommo and Gallagher, or Shankland, if it ever happens, then for me, it's only the midfield that requires an experienced organiser. I'm just not sure that the Jim Goodwin of today is the answer and it will be interesting to see if Murray stands by his current selection or "panics" and restores Goodwin to the team.

Obviously, RB becomes a position that now needs filling with Naismith's injury.

Am I convinced that Murray is the man to improve our fortunes? I'm unsure at present, but I'm willing to give him time to get things right and support him when he merits it.

This.

Absolutely this.

Jim wasn't the only one who had a bad season but for me he at least cared. If he was 23 no way would he be getting this abuse. There was no player deserving of praise last year. Perhaps the smisa boys were right maybe we are heading down the Dunfermline route after all.

Edited by norrie82

Jim wasn't the only one who had a bad season but for me he at least cared. If he was 23 no way would he be getting this abuse. There was no player deserving of praise last year. Perhaps the smisa boys were right maybe we are heading down the Dunfermline route after all.

'Abuse'? What abuse?

Never mind all this... Goodwin. You have been critical of Goodwin in many of your recent posts. Two questions. One - did he shag yer' missus' or take a dump in your pumpkin... and two. Are you about to challenge me to a fight behind the bike sheds at 4 pm over this scandalous and defamatory use of a well-worn forum expression.... I.E. 'What's up, did he shag your bird' or a variation thereof.

Fight! Fight! Fight!

I'll haud the jaikets.... you're going down ya bassa!!!!

Trouble making peasant who doesn't respect the peerage!!!!!

Baldy vs greying ex ginger whinger...

Nae competition!

(Tho part of me wants you to leather the wee jobby till he learns how to spell important worrdz (sic)).

Some people obviously have some kind of agenda against him, but the majority of fans - as that result shows - appreciate what he brings to the team

What percentage of the fans voted for him as poty TC? Can't remember and can find the topic but I very much doubt it was a majority if he came second.

Oh for an Aber..!

I'm genuinely staggered by the Goodwin love-in on here.

He was terrible last season. Much of the time he looked lost, was frequently out of position, got roasted by even moderately paced players, and don't get me started on his aimlessly lofted balls to no-one in particular.

Goodwin's time has come and gone. He is not the answer. We need a tenacious Alex Neil type player. A bit of grit, but the composure to match it.

All the players were terrible last season so no reason to use that charge against Goodwin. For example, Naismith was awful last season but not much chat suggesting he shouldn't get a game now because of it.

Fight! Fight! Fight!

Now thats an obsessed meltdown if ever there was one.