The Biggest Meltdown And Knickerwetting Thread Ever

shull

Ok positives

Baird and Kelly mostly sound in defence

McMullan and Morgan both came into a game second half.

em... that's it really.

Midfield look a disorganised rabble.

Gow embarrassing

Thomo not much better than Friday night.

Conlan, that was the best I've seen him play

Agnew and Carsewell far to close together. Once or twice I'm sure I saw Agnew run into Carsewell

Agnew stupid pointless free kick to give away, could have been booked as well,

Cuddiny exposed dreadfully for the penalty

The game was crying out for Goodwin to come on and boss the midfield.

As a manger you live or die by your decisions. remember that Murzo

Edited by insaintee

Murray on St Mirren radio saying we dominated the game. I must have been watching a different game as I felt Dumbarton were superior in every position and retained possession far better. Certainly the hungrier side. Piss poor performance.

That's the icing on the shitcake. Not many things as annoying as a manager who can't admit he was beaten by a better team on the day.

Nowhere near good enough. Utterly woeful stuff. I don't think Dumbarton were great shakes either. Solid 2 banks of 4 but actually created little, yet we gift them 2 goals.

Positionally we were all over the place too, midfield didn't seem solid, players didn't seem to have an understanding. For all of McMullan's skill, his defensive work wasn't great, often was too central and was a nightmare for the full backs!

We didn't have enough drive, pace was all wrong, no closing down or pressure. So many players were poor I can't pick out any to be honest.

To early to panic, but need more experience. On this display the only play-off we'll be involved in is a relegation one!

I thought Carswell went about his business well until neither him or Agnew closed them down in the middle of the park in the build up to their pen.

Morgan was as good in 2nd half as he was bad in first, guess that will always be the case with young players, especially wingers.

Enough has been said about Gow, removed his finger from his arse for about 3 mins after he seen Thompson getting called over. I'm not quite sure what he's meant to offer.

Agnew great goal aside was poor, constantly pulled out of challenges as well, was suicide playing only 2 in the middle of the park, when Gow was dropping back and the wingers weren't at the races.

Conlon looked poor again but improved slightly as game went on.

It's clear we are still a bit short, need to start moving onto plan B signings if the likes of Webster and Shankland aren't happening quickly.

FWIW, I'm still not convinced that Jim Goodwin is the answer, seems he gets better every game he doesn't play.

Goodwin would at least bring experience, coaching and a bit of dig into the middle of the park. Our complete midfield lost most 50/50 balls today and most second balls. Jim doesn't do that. He is maybe not the greatest player but can certainly do a better job until we recruit someone who is better.

Awful starting 11 from Murray and then tactical mistakes. Why no Mallan or Howieson and Gow should have been hooked much earlier. Midfield was crying out for an enforcer like Goodwin. Naismith injury the icing on an awful day. Squad is way too thin but Murray's baffling selection just added to our woes. Surely can't get worse can it ?

The shit I took for highlighting Murray's naivety, his Dumbarton side shipping so many goals last season, him being missing for the first few weeks of his new job, dragging his heels with appointments, giving everyone who can stand upright a trial, then dropping Goodwin to force him out, and to top it off he still doesn't (by all accounts) strengthen our weak left side.....?

Aitken must have been rubbing his hands when he saw that team-sheet, lack of height, physicality, experience, goals and performances.... Let me be clear it doesn't take a genius (which i ain't) to be able to pick a team to boss us in every game this season, in this league. Unless there is a complete change of tack we will be picking up the same results week in, week out till the inevitable, drawn out hand wringing by the board over yet another managerial appointment clusterf**k... I wonder if Danny could be tempted back..?

Concerning that Murray thinks we dominated that match.

Would have been better off just admitting he got it wrong today. Learn from your mistakes and such.

I hope Mallan was carrying a niggle of some sort to explain his absence!

At least 1 of Goodwin and Thompson should be on the pitch. We looked and played like a team of wee boys 1st half. No leaders.

Firstly, I need to credit Dumbarton as they deserved all three points. They were well organised, defended as a unit and got the ball forward quickly. It's certainly no fluke that they beat Hibs last week and then beat ourselves as well.

I thought we started the game ok but it was as if we were watching us play a pre-season game, there was a real lack of urgency. We did look a bit better in the second half but again, we didn't really look capable of doing anything until Agnew scored. After that, we seemed to pick up a bit and I felt we had a chance of going on to win the game, but after the penalty it was all over.

I feel sorry for Ridgers as I don't think he had much to do and didn't have much chance at both of the goals. However, we need experience within the team so I would have Langfield as the number one going forward. Goalkeepers can be very influential when it comes to organising at the back. We were all over the place at the back at times.

Whilst I think that individually Kelly and Baird have the potential to be really good center backs, as a partnership it just does not work. We need some experience in there and Webster would be ideal with Kelly and Baird competing for the other place. Ideally, I'd like to see Kelly moved back to left back simply because I have absolutely no faith in Conlon at left back. I've seen him in a few games now, he seems incapable of following runs, tackling players and his distribution is dreadful - he gave the ball away too many times today, we can't continue with him as I got the impression even the players didn't want to give him the ball. I thought Naismith done well and tried to get forward as much as possible - hopefully his scan on Monday doesn't show too much damage but I reckon he will be out for a good while. Cuddihy done well when he came on but his inexperience cost us when he gave away the penalty.

McMullan will be a cracking player for us this season but I feel he is more suited in a midfield of five as he is not the best when it comes to defensive duties. Morgan isn't ready I don't think, he needs to seriously bulk up, too many times he got pushed off the ball today. Carswell done ok but I feel that Goodwin would be more effective and bring much needed experience into the team. Agnew done well and showed a good few touches - I like the fact he can strike a ball and we've missed someone that can score goals from midfield for a while. However, I think the team would be far more settled with five in the midfield as we got over ran today far too many times.

Apart from having a couple of nice touches at one stage in the second half, Gow contributed absolutely nothing today. He just stood about the whole game, didn't make any runs, made no attempts to win the ball in the air. He really is a wasted wage and the fact he got offered a new deal really pissed me off as the only reason I can assume he did is because he and Murray played together at Rangers. He'll no doubt get injured in training this week and be out for a few months. Maybe I'm being harsh, but signing the likes of him is why we ended up relegated last year.

Gallagher done ok and made some good runs and won us a lot of set pieces, but should have done better with a few of his chances. I'm confident once he gets his first goal he'll get the confidence he needs to bang in a few going forwards. Thompson was effective when he came on and bringing him on for the last half an hour is where we will benefit from Thompson most.

I respect the fact Murray is going with young boys but when you do that the young boys need to be good enough and strong enough to compete. The team also needs to have a good spine of experience to talk them through the game. Getting Webster, Langfield and Goodwin in that team has to be an absoloute must if we are to have any hope of a top four finish this season.

With the players we have the best set up for me is going with a 4-5-1 that turns into more of a 4-3-3 when going forwards. This would allow Goodwin to come back into the team and give us a physical presence in the midfield, we would have Mallan and Agnew attacking, with McMullan on the right. Ideally, we need a left winger and another striker. If we stick with a 4-4-2, we are just going to be exposed and be punished for it throughout the season.

I'll be at Annan on Tuesday and hopefully Murray knows where he went wrong today (although I'm concerned that he thinks we dominated the game!) and we fix it. Whilst the season has only just started, the league is going to be really tight and we can't afford to be throwing away points whilst he experiments, that's what pre-season was for.

FWIW, I'm still not convinced that Jim Goodwin is the answer, seems he gets better every game he doesn't play.

At the moment the official site lists us as having 5 defenders in the first team squad, Goodwin being one of them. He has played right back for Hamilton Accies plenty of times. Not saying at this stage of his career he would be amazing in that position but the only conclusion that can be drawn from Murray sending on an 18 year old midfielder with 3 subs appearances to his name to play out of position in place of Naismith is that in no circumstances will Goodwin be getting a game. We are down to 4 fit defenders at the club at the moment (including Goodwin) and he is out of the picture.

How did sending on our 18 year old midfielder to play out of position work out? He gave away the penalty that won Dumbarton the match.

At the moment the official site lists us as having 5 defenders in the first team squad, Goodwin being one of them. He has played right back for Hamilton Accies plenty of times. Not saying at this stage of his career he would be amazing in that position but the only conclusion that can be drawn from Murray sending on an 18 year old midfielder with 3 subs appearances to his name to play out of position in place of Naismith is that in no circumstances will Goodwin be getting a game. We are down to 4 fit defenders at the club at the moment (including Goodwin) and he is out of the picture.

How did sending on our 18 year old midfielder to play out of position work out? He gave away the penalty that won Dumbarton the match.

There is a slightly convoluted solution to the problem....

Goodwin gets a trial with Rangers

They hum an ha about signing him

Murray will have him straight in the team..!

Typical St Mirren- great crowd turns up full of anticipation and we do not deliver. How many will be back?

Speaking to another in the West Stand who knows a diehard Dumbarton fan. He had indicated that the two centrebacks for the Sons were the 'no messing about' types but slow and could be exploited down the wings by pace. This seemed to partly explain the side we put out- initially anyway.

Could not understand why we backed off Dumbarton while they harried us constantly winning ball and exploiting the space we gave them- It was essentially Murray's team last season for God's sake.

Morgan was woeful in the first half, easily manhandled of the ball, but what a change in the second half as he grew in confidence. really caused problems down the left wing and put in some tasty crosses.

Agnew appears to only score spectacular goals, the rest of the the game he struggled to control the ball or pass intelligently- trying to hard against old team?

Gow should not even be on the bench- absolutely appalling.

Naismith's injury looks bad- very worrying as he has been very influential.

Game was crying out for Goodwin to marshall the troops. Agree with many posts that if we stick to many young lads in here we are going to have some very painful lessons this season.

I hope that Murray is learning quickly from what he is seeingin front of him when it comes to competitive matches.

McMullan is an excellent player- a little greedy at times- second half he made some excellent runs and would have been able to make more of them with more movement from others in the team. Bit like Dargo in the sense he is thinking quicker than others- will communication improve.

We are too quick to turn on the team though during matches. yes we all pay to get in and expect to be entertained, but positivity has a far greater impact on players during matches than abuse- look at the reaction of the team when we had a couple of good attacks.

Maybe I will havelost my optimism by the end of September, but two league matches in I still see hope, especially during the warm up when Langfield focussed on Ridgers handling of crosses and distribution from pass backs.

From the official site:

St Mirren manager, Ian Murray said after the match: “We dominated the game, there’s no question about that, but we can’t dress it up, we lost the game so it’s hugely disappointing.

“We started okay, we conceded a soft goal in terms of the deflection and there’s not a lot we can do about that but the lead up to the free-kick’s not great. We score a cracking goal to get back in it and then we shoot ourselves in the foot with the penalty.

“I’ve no real complaints because we started so sloppily in terms of our passing. We didn’t come out the traps how we wanted – we came out okay and that’s exactly what we got. The second half was much better but as I explained to the guys you don’t get that chance in the Championship.”

From the official site:

St Mirren manager, Ian Murray said after the match: “We dominated the game, there’s no question about that, but we can’t dress it up, we lost the game so it’s hugely disappointing.

“We started okay, we conceded a soft goal in terms of the deflection and there’s not a lot we can do about that but the lead up to the free-kick’s not great. We score a cracking goal to get back in it and then we shoot ourselves in the foot with the penalty.

“I’ve no real complaints because we started so sloppily in terms of our passing. We didn’t come out the traps how we wanted – we came out okay and that’s exactly what we got. The second half was much better but as I explained to the guys you don’t get that chance in the Championship.”

Anyone still not think the guy is a Benshot..?

that's a bit harsh 2 games in ffs

get behind your team yes there is much to learn but new team new season wasn't always gonna be easy

take a valium and enjoy the sunshine

It is not to early we have watched s few games now. He will need to play our experienced players and bring the young ones through that way. No excuses Murray picked the wrong team today. A total waste having three experienced subs on the bench thompson, goodwin and mallen. When Naismith injured Goodwin should have came on and mallen a a reshuffle. MURRAY YOUR FAULT kids out of their depth

Anyone still not think the guy is a Benshot..?

Let me explain myself a bit.

When the knives were out for Gus, I was of the opinion, no, unless there is someone better to come in. The BoD cut the budget and what they were prepared to pay Gus, so he went

When the knives were out for Danny, I supported him, I could see realistically maybe a top six, but we won a cup, had best league positions. The Bod cut the budget, and gave TC the job on less wedge.

I have never slated my team at a game, never have, never would. Yes the odd FFS, head in hands, head shaken, but no verbals. The reason i am so outspoken about Murray is i can see he is not up to it. Despite all the hype no other club came in for him, so our BoD got the cheap option again.

I now see months of this ahead unless somehow he changes tack and plays some experience to develop the youth. Otherwise they will fail, and drop out as too much is being asked of boys who have not yet shown the capacity for what is expected at this level.

Murray is out of his depth, who is going yo sink with him? Gow is already calling out for the lifebelt!

The shit I took for highlighting Murray's naivety, his Dumbarton side shipping so many goals last season, him being missing for the first few weeks of his new job, dragging his heels with appointments, giving everyone who can stand upright a trial, then dropping Goodwin to force him out, and to top it off he still doesn't (by all accounts) strengthen our weak left side.....?

Aitken must have been rubbing his hands when he saw that team-sheet, lack of height, physicality, experience, goals and performances.... Let me be clear it doesn't take a genius (which i ain't) to be able to pick a team to boss us in every game this season, in this league. Unless there is a complete change of tack we will be picking up the same results week in, week out till the inevitable, drawn out hand wringing by the board over yet another managerial appointment clusterf**k... I wonder if Danny could be tempted back..?

You make a lot of fair points and hit a fair few targets that deserve hitting. However, the shit you took was because you were hammering into Ian Murray at every opportunity before a ball was even kicked. It really looked like Murray had either shagged your woman or shat in your kettle.

Edited by pozbaird