Steven Thompson Legend Simple

After tonight's game I know we will hear disparaging comments about Sir Steven Thompson. I don't won't to hear it he is a cup winning legend and IMO the best striker we have had in the last 25 years easy.

Thoughts???

My thought is simple. He simply doesn't have the engine or legs for starting up front on his lonesome. Impact player from the bench for me, sadly.

Still got something to offer, particularly if our other strikers are Gallacher and Shankland (allegedly). The will need his experience to lean on. However, he has never been the best penalty taker in the world and Danny hooked him from that duty before. Perhaps as well he missed one so early in the season so we can get a more reliable 12 yard man for the rest of the season.

Thompson was a ghost tonight, his legs have gone. Forget the penalty miss because that could happen to anyone, he was totally ineffective. I would bring him on for the last half hour when games are tight. We cannot allow sentiment to creep in and he might be a legend but maybe the legend's time is coming to the end...

Fuxake. Unbelievable. The guy's playing for us for the love of the club, his presence ensured the best time for the club in 3 decades and no one will be more gutted than him tonight.

What did people realistically expect from him tonight?

Unbelievable I knew this would happen. Who is better. Got no service all game. Ok he missed a penalty. Would the views and comments be the same if he scored it

Why bother starting the thread then if all you want is folk to blow sunshine up Thompson's arse?

Feel a bit for him tonight. This wasn't the game to play our ageing talisman up front on his own, for numerous reasons. That said, I can understand why Murray opted for this approach. Experienced player leading the line, seasoned campaigner who knows the ground and atmosphere etc.

Didn't work, and was never likely to. Thompson might fare better against lesser teams, but we MUST not repeat Craig's mistake of trying to 'build a team around' Thompson. It didn't work then, and clearly won't work now.

Impact player perhaps, but no longer an integral part of the 'spine'.

Edited by Drew

Unbelievable I knew this would happen. Who is better. Got no service all game. Ok he missed a penalty. Would the views and comments be the same if he scored it

As far as open play was concerned? YES. Thommo was as useful as a chocolate teapot tonight. In ineptitude though, it's a shame we're singling out. We could have turned this around with the penalty but it would have been ill deserved. The rangers aren't that good but we need to up our game. good thing is, second half, we looked as if we might be able to given time.

Edited by stlucifer

Legend? Yes, of course he is but he is done.

IMO he shouldn't have been offered a deal,said it plenty of times in here.

He should have left in the summer but I think he wanted to make up for last season's disaster.

I think if we play a more offensive game against the "smaller" teams then he might chip in with a few goals but he should not have started as a lone striker.

Edited by proudtobeabuddy

As far as open play was concerned? YES. Thommo was as useful as a chocolate teapot tonight. In ineptitude though, it's a shame we're singling out. We could have turned this around with the penalty but it would have been ill deserved. The rangers aren't that good but we need to up our game. good thing is, second half, we looked as if we might be able to given time.

I don't think Thompson is being singled out. Conlan was shit too.

Edited by pozbaird

The big man is a legend, I believe he will still do a good job for us against certain opposition this season and hopefully be a good influence on younger players.

On the first have he may have been isolated but he passed twice to nobody and also had a fresh air kick.

I think he'll be able to play against some other teams in our division but think today was asking a bit much.

I said after 25 mins this isn't for him and bring on Gallo, one thing having a pen saved os one thing but not even hitting the target at 2-1 is really sad.

Hope he does enough against other teams to keep us in the competition.

Fuxake. Unbelievable. The guy's playing for us for the love of the club, his presence ensured the best time for the club in 3 decades and no one will be more gutted than him tonight.

noone is attacking him but as a professional footballer I'd expect most his passes to be to one of his own team and for his penalty to hit the target. If that I'd too much to ask then he should re-evaluate the position for the love of the club.

ok, i see the usual mixed posts, i have to be honest it wasn't his best game for st.Mirren and i agree he mabe is a bit off the pace than the last few seasons

but no doubt about it every seasoned pro has misses like that even k miller admitted that

that doesn't make him a bad player or mean he doesn't give 100%

but no way will i slate him he gives everything and this will no doubt be his swansong this season and im sure he will (on that TEAM showing) play his part this season

but what i will add is that some of those young lads came of age tonight

the 3-1 score line was not a true reflection on how the game went and as for the criticism that mark ridgers gets is absolutely shoking

he is still very young and has no coach to guide him but he had some nervy moments yes but made some good saves also

i am very happy with the way we played and there are a few gems in our team now as to previous season

i for 1 am very optimistic about this season and still believe as i said b4 2nd place can be ours and the lads proved that for me 2night

No room for loyalty or sentiment in football. He's done his bit and we should thank him and remember the good times but it's time to look elsewhere for the good of the club.