Stevie Mallan

Potentially could be very good. Feel he needs an arm around him at times to guide and encourage. Goodwin did this before injury. Great finish at end but presently gives ball away cheaply and tries to finesse crosses too often when a simple pass would work. Reminds me of kenny McLean when he does this.... Great when it comes off but too often over hit. We are over reliant on this youngster at present.

Potentially could be very good. Feel he needs an arm around him at times to guide and encourage. Goodwin did this before injury. Great finish at end but presently gives ball away cheaply and tries to finesse crosses too often when a simple pass would work. Reminds me of kenny McLean when he does this.... Great when it comes off but too often over hit. We are over reliant on this youngster at present.

If Goodwin comes back soon could he move to the Beckham role wide right, not the quickest but can make space to get crosses in and as seen with Beckham accuracy is more important than running like a headless chicken like McMullan. Pushed out right a few times last season and did relatively well.

Definitely don't play Mallan out wide.

He needs to stay central, but needs to knuckle down, and realise that the majority of the game is about doing the simple things well. Something he completely failed at today. Nice free kicks and the occasional 40 yard pass won't hide a lack of basic play.

Thankfully he's young, and appears eager to learn. His dad isn't exactly afraid to hold back anyway...

Mallan is more than just a decent player.

Could be a great player.

Needs to stop acting like a spoilt child though on Pitch.

Greeting a few times today to Referee over hee haw.

One time when he was bursting forward and was perfectly tackled.

And another time when the ref placed the ball for a free kick about a foot away from where Mallan thought it should be.

Just get on with the game.

If it was the free kick near the by line, the ref had it at the byline and Mallan was showing him the marks on the turf where Clarkson was brought down, nearly ten yard further infield. Would have been a great oppurtunity for him to have a pop at goal.

We need to remeber he's only 19, and not expect him to be the finished article. He needs to start to grow up a bit and work harder. Has the potential to be a very good player, and with hard work could be a special wee player.

Mallan is more than just a decent player.

Could be a great player.

Needs to stop acting like a spoilt child though on Pitch.

Greeting a few times today to Referee over hee haw.

One time when he was bursting forward and was perfectly tackled.

And another time when the ref placed the ball for a free kick about a foot away from where Mallan thought it should be.

Just get on with the game.

The ref and linesman were possible the worst I've ever seen ref so inconsistent and linesman that doesn't know the off side rule.

Mallan was 100% correct to moan at ref for him telling Mallan to take the free kick way closer to the by line to where the foul was actually committed.

Nothing spoiled about trying to show a numpty where the free kick should be taken from.

If it was the free kick near the by line, the ref had it at the byline and Mallan was showing him the marks on the turf where Clarkson was brought down, nearly ten yard further infield. Would have been a great oppurtunity for him to have a pop at goal.

We need to remeber he's only 19, and not expect him to be the finished article. He needs to start to grow up a bit and work harder. Has the potential to be a very good player, and with hard work could be a special wee player.

Aye that was it, he was bleating like a f*cking 5 year old. Just take the free kick.

Took it eventually and made an arse of it due to his teeny tantrum .

And Fergies Furies were aw teenagers but men.

Edited by shull

Aye that was it, he was bleating like a f*cking 5 year old. Just take the free kick.

Took it eventually and made an arse of it due to his teeny tantrum .

And Fergies Furies were aw teenagers but men.

The difference was from where the free kick should of been taken from

He could of had a shot on goal with the better angle.

Mallan needs to realise there is more to being a member of a team than being the set piece guy. Some of his tackling is powder puff and sometimes his passing is lazy. When he is good he is great. He just needs to show more consistency. Kenny Maclean had similar issues however and made a difference to his game to progress. Hopefully we see more of Mallans progress before he moves on which I am sure he will if he knuckles down.

Who would take him on current form? Poorly advised if he does go. Needs two years in our first team at least.

John McGinn was signed by Hibs after a very poor season - recent form needn't be a deal breaker. If a player has a bit about him, as Mallan clearly does, there will always be clubs willing to take a punt on them.

I wouldn't be remotely surprised if he leaves Saints next week (will be a great shame, however).

Edited by Drew

Who would take him on current form? Poorly advised if he does go. Needs two years in our first team at least.

On current form he is scoring goals in a struggling team

A goal scoring midfield player are worth their weight in gold

Remember this when he leaves for once i hope our BOD don't shite themselves and get a decent price for once

As much as I criticised Mallan today, for a player his age without an experienced partner for much of the season, he's made an exceptional contribution to a team that has been utter shite on many occasions this season and gained us valuable points in the process.

Edited by FTOF

In other words. He ain't anything near as good as he thinks he is. Maclean had the same trouble until he screwed the nut from Aug 14-Jan15 . He had 6 great months where he was everything to our team. Mallan is nothing like everything to our team. A passenger for long periods in every game.

Nope, I'm not having that.

Mallan is the most talented player in our squad. A young lad with a lot to learn, but the player with the greatest potential to play at a much higher level than where we currently find ourselves.

Drew, not in disagreement with you. Talented lad. However, talent only gets you so far. I'd love for him to show me he really really cares about saints like I do.

He probably doesn't, though. As far as I know, he isn't a St Mirren supporter.

Like any young person, he'll be more concerned about how he can get on in life. He seemed pretty chuffed when he scored, and made a point of applauding the support at the end of the game (as I suggested earlier, I think that might be significant). He'll move on in due course, and he is one of the few players we have just now who I'd be willing to back on gaining a move to a higher level.