So, What Do We Still Need?

Just watched the game this morning as I couldn't make it last night and there were more than a few positives IMO.

Baird is a nasty big bastard and could do really well for us if he has an old head to play alongside. That's not a reflection on Kelly but I just think their lack of experience may cost us.

McMullan looks good on the ball and against most other teams in the league he'll be a real handful.

We didn't cave at 2-0 and even when the penalty was missed I don't see a notable difference in our attitude. Players looked as though they believed they'd get something and that sort of belief will be important.

Murray and Spalding were more involved from the sidelines then anyone has been in a looooooong time for us.

That being said I still feel we need an experienced centre back, a bit of height in the midfield and some more pace up front.

Bring on Dumbarton next week and we'll see what we're really made of.

I'd prefer to play Kelly (despite a nervy start, I thought he settled down ok) at left back and bring in a new centre half, or simply just sign a new left back.

Conlan really struggled last night (and was poor against Berwick). Not just when they were running at him, but also positionally (surely at this level, players shouldn't be massively misjudging the height of the ball!) & in his distribution. Everything was going down our left hand side as they clearly noticed this was a weakness.

Granted he may still be short of match practice and still needs to get up to the pace of the game up here. I certainly hope so anyway.

Left back has always been a difficult position to fill, even in the premiership.

Now we're down where we are, we'd be incredibly lucky to get a player that we'd all be happy with.

I do agree that Conlan was caught out of position too often. The other thing I noticed was that often he matched the attacker for pace and was in a position to block the cross, but didn't commit himself and let the cross into the box.

However, I did see some good moments of defending which, at this stage in the season, are the aspects of his game that I'm going to concentrate upon and hope that the management team sort out his current deficiencies.

He won't come up against players like Tavernier and Waghorn every week, but he does have to improve his game.

Edited by FTOF

The only way we'll sign a leftback is if we get in a centre-half who can play there if required, bit like Ian Maxwell could do.

I'd far rather see Murray use the resources he has to strengthen areas where we're sorely lacking for numbers (up front, centre of defence) and then do something crazy like work to improve the players he has at his disposal rather than write them off and replace them after two games.

Height. Thommohawk and the diddymen. Need some big guys

most effective players on the pitch were wee fellas last night, for saints as well as Rangers. Height is only effective for set pieces and big punts up the pitch. Pace, strength, a good engine, movement are all more important. Thommo was the most ineffective player we had last night, and he's tall. Best player for us, wee mcmullan

The only way we'll sign a leftback is if we get in a centre-half who can play there if required, bit like Ian Maxwell could do.

I'd far rather see Murray use the resources he has to strengthen areas where we're sorely lacking for numbers (up front, centre of defence) and then do something crazy like work to improve the players he has at his disposal rather than write them off and replace them after two games.

bring back cheesy. Might actually be alright at this level

If we get Shankland & Langfield then, for me, we just need a defender to complete the squad.

And not necessarily a centre half. A full back would be good as I believe Naismith would be goo in central defence and we also have Jim Goodwin.

I think we will be good enough to have a great chance of second place.

We need a central defender have done for years now!

We need a striker If the boy from Aberdeen Shankland comes on loan that should be that problem solved!

We also need a Keeper Langfeild or Samson seem like our best options. Although I can't see Sammy coming back!

Some cover for the left side not sure about Conlan!

Ian Murray said he still wants 3-4 new faces before the window shuts.