Goodwin

Our new manager deserves to be given some time to develop his squad, his style of play, etc. The fans shouting "bring back Danny" in section W2 today were (I hope) joking. Or fannies.

But I agree with previous posters that too many of our young hopefuls are too easily brushed aside by experienced, physically stronger opponents. IMO Goodwin should have started for us today. When Naismith had to go off Goodwin was the obvious substitute to steady the defence. The fact that Ian Murray chose to replace the injured Naismith with another young defender lacking in top-team experience instead of Jim Goodwin smacks of a personal agenda against our former captain. At best tactically naive IMO, undoubtedly a poor decision for the balance of the team, and a worrying sign regarding Murray's priorities.

As I said, Murray deserves his chance to settle into his new job and he can do without plonkers in the crowd yelling insults, but maybe he needs to be more mature and avoid creating vendettas for the overall benefit of our team performances.

Fcuk me. He's lost the dressing room already.

That was quick. Even for a St Mirren manager.

We must play two up top though and tell McMullan to cross the ball rather than running into defenders and losing the ball.

He needs to grow a neck so that he can look up and see who he is going to run into next.

We are now with Naisy crocked long term faced with playing Cuddihy or even Goodwin at right back or go 3-5-2 with Goodwin/Webster in the middle of Kelly and Baird. Conlon on left of 5

Our new manager deserves to be given some time to develop his squad, his style of play, etc. The fans shouting "bring back Danny" in section W2 today were (I hope) joking. Or fannies.

But I agree with previous posters that too many of our young hopefuls are too easily brushed aside by experienced, physically stronger opponents. IMO Goodwin should have started for us today. When Naismith had to go off Goodwin was the obvious substitute to steady the defence. The fact that Ian Murray chose to replace the injured Naismith with another young defender lacking in top-team experience instead of Jim Goodwin smacks of a personal agenda against our former captain. At best tactically naive IMO, undoubtedly a poor decision for the balance of the team, and a worrying sign regarding Murray's priorities.

As I said, Murray deserves his chance to settle into his new job and he can do without plonkers in the crowd yelling insults, but maybe he needs to be more mature and avoid creating vendettas for the overall benefit of our team performances.

He brought on a player who has played right back, yet you'd rather he broke up our best central defensive partnership for a wee while and fit either in at right back whilst still maintaining the balance? The problem wasn't an unsteady defence, even with Conlan, it was the lack of creativity midfield to front coupled with the dropping back we saw vs Bradford, Berwick and now today.

Murray was used to doing alright at Dumbarton with very few expectations. He now needs to step up and show he can be more positive and put together a team capable of putting chances together repeatedly through 90 mins. Basics like wingers crossing (admittedly Morgan did), players shooting in the box and competing high in midfield would be a nice start.

He brought on a player who has played right back, yet you'd rather he broke up our best central defensive partnership for a wee while and fit either in at right back whilst still maintaining the balance? The problem wasn't an unsteady defence, even with Conlan, it was the lack of creativity midfield to front coupled with the dropping back we saw vs Bradford, Berwick and now today.

Murray was used to doing alright at Dumbarton with very few expectations. He now needs to step up and show he can be more positive and put together a team capable of putting chances together repeatedly through 90 mins. Basics like wingers crossing (admittedly Morgan did), players shooting in the box and competing high in midfield would be a nice start.

Did you just call Baird and Kelly our 'best centre half defensive partnership for a while?'

:huh:

He needs to grow a neck so that he can look up and see who he is going to run into next.

We are now with Naisy crocked long term faced with playing Cuddihy or even Goodwin at right back or go 3-5-2 with Goodwin/Webster in the middle of Kelly and Baird. Conlon on left of 5

what about

langy/ridgers

(if he signs) webster baird Kelly

carswell mallan

morgan agnew mcmullin

howieson

the hawk

with Gallagher the super sub for say howieson, makes sence as he's trying to put himself in shop window for only signing 1 year deal (impact player)

but we are def short on cover for right back left back and really need carswell and mallan to put them selves about

thoughts??

Edited by jama

Don't know about anyone else, and I know there are workplace 'situations' in all walks of life, but I'm now completely pissed off with all the shite that appears to go on at St Mirren... Goodwin and Thommo stab Danny in the back... Thommo's nose is out of joint about being overlooked / dropped... McGinn 'sues' the club... Teale feels stabbed in the back by Gilmour... Murray wants Goodwin out the door...

My hope is that if there's a cancer in the dressing room, Murray has the bawz to cut the cancer out. The danger of course is he alienates too many people who 'down tools' and he 'loses the dressing room' and as supporters we once more sit and watch a shitfest of such proportions that Shull cannae' even be arsed starting a needless thread about it.

Did you just call Baird and Kelly our 'best centre half defensive partnership for a while?'

:huh:

Uhu, because I believe that Cheesy and Goodwin were a nightmare and John Potter wasn't much better. Genev was too busy wondering what he'd gotten himself in to. Mair was a bit better positionally, but a complete fairy with poor distribution. Edited by TsuMirren

Uhu, because I believe that Cheesy and Goodwin were a nightmare and John Potter wasn't much better. Genev was too busy wondering what he'd gotten himself in to. Mair was a bit better positionally, but a complete fairy with poor distribution.

What you basing that on exactly? The 3 goals they've conceded in 2 games at home to part opposition or...?

Edited by TopCat

Maybe the game was crying out for the JG of 4 years ago, probably not the teenager kicking, rising-star elbowing slow as molasses in January version (that is rumoured to be malcontent No1 in the demise of Lennon shitfest) that we saw last season.

If there is one shred of shrewdness in what Murgartroyd has done so far, it is the sidelining of someone who lobbied for the removal of a predecessor

Lennon went because we never got any better pure and simple. He seen out his contract never got sacked so he was his own demise. Player s got frustrated it happens

What you basing that on exactly? The 3 goals they've conceded in 2 games at home to part opposition or...?

There are fans who just don't have time for Goodwin and don't realize what he can bring to this particular young team.

Against Bradford Goodwin came on in the second half. What a difference in composure , tackling while he was the best passer of the ball by a mile in the Saints team. Fergie used Copland , Gus used Reilly, You need a digger between midfield and defence a battler , someone who talks and guides. We have that man sitting on a bench for me that is unbelievable and very short sighted from Murray.

The manager needs time to find the team he wants but he also needs experience in a young team. At the moment that experience is not being used sadly

Two shots on target.

Goodwin would have not have improved this. Nor would he have stopped us conceding the goals we did.

With his track record, he would have got sent of . Thus galvanising the rest of the team through a sense of injustice and the brave 10 men would have stormed back to grab all three points.

So its all Goodys fault !

Two shots on target.

Goodwin would have not have improved this. Nor would he have stopped us conceding the goals we did.

what will the score be on Tuesday you seem to know what the future would hold?

I'm not saying Goodwin is the answer to all our problems but Murray has a job to put the best 11 on the park to win games and conlan is a weak link at left back so I'd put goody in at the back till we get Webster or someone else signed up and get kelly at left back

No it wasn't, only player bullied was Morgan. We sat back, which is how Murray does things. Goodwin would not have done better than our central square and doesn't fit in anywhere else. I thought Gow was the wrong choice, I'd have preferred Mallan in with Morgan and McMullan supporting Gallagher.

You obviously weren't there today! Every player got bullied.... We needed Goodwin on the park.. If this is IM's playing style then we employed the wrong person for the championship! Say what you like, but if his playing style is to back off, then we will never beat any team in the championship!

If what's been said about Goodwin is true why have him on the bench in the first place? If he has no place at St Mirren then he shouldn't be anywhere near the squad. Terminate his contract " by mutual consent". Didn't Murray say he did have a place in the team but would be used only for 20 odd games? I'm no fan of Goodwin as he has a liking for blaming those around him when we concede a goal but he's either an active part of the squad or he isn't. If Murray has no intention of using him even as a sub but humiliates him by putting him on the bench then Murrays style is not for me. I'm not convinced anyway that Murray has what it takes at our level let alone a club like ours where the expectation is a bit higher than at Dumbarton who appear to have given us a lesson on what this division is really about.

He must start on Friday night. There isn't a leader on the park and Goodwin is the one natural leader we do have. Yes, he's perhaps a tad overcritical of the youngsters at times but you can rest assured, he'd be talking some of them through that match yesterday.

This. We missed leadership on the park. Whether it's sweeper in a back three (Tommy Turner role) or at the base of a five man midfield, we need his presence.

We need experience in the team but Goodwin is not the answer. The only reason he's still here is because he had a year left on his contract and we weren't willing/able to pay him off. Hopefully we'll bring in an experienced defender this week.

Does not matter whether you want Goodwin at the club or not fact is he is at the club as such should be used. As I wrote if he does not play on Friday night Morton will over run us.

Does not matter whether you want Goodwin at the club or not fact is he is at the club as such should be used. As I wrote if he does not play on Friday night Morton will over run us.

I have nothing against Goodwin as a person I'm just basing it on the fact that i don't think he's the answer to our problems and i don't think he'd make us any better as a team. He was an effective holding midfielder a few years ago but he's not been good enough in recent seasons and that's why Ian Murray hasn't picked him either.

I have nothing against Goodwin as a person I'm just basing it on the fact that i don't think he's the answer to our problems and i don't think he'd make us any better as a team. He was an effective holding midfielder a few years ago but he's not been good enough in recent seasons and that's why Ian Murray hasn't picked him either.

At this moment in time he is the answer to one of our problems conlan is a weak link and goody should be in at cb as we have no one else with Kelly left back till we get Webster or someone else in, doing this would add leadership, experience and fight which we lacked yesterday.