Music - The Price You Pay

What about songwriters who dont perform? what about producers, these guys dont play live and have too be paid. and anyway for most musicians now the biggest earner is live work and festivals. so many people steal it as well and thats an abomination. i love live work and i love playing live but i enjoy recording and writing songs. i put a lot of work into my writing and writing the best songs possible and i feel i should be paid for the sales of the recorded work i have written.

I don't really understand your point. If you are selling something people don't want to pay for then you have a problem.

Presumably the musician would pay the producer just as a shop owner would pay a printer for designing and printing a leaflet.

As for song writers who don't perform live, how is that different from a poet?

Even new bands getting gigs is not easy as pubs want a crowd in. Support slots at a higher level have to be paid for. Music played on national big stations has to be paid for by back handers. The music industry is one big struggle so I take my hat off to musicians who work their arse off in the belief of their songs.

There are hard struggles in all industries bud. 200 to 400 applicants for each university lecturer position is not unknown. All of whom have a PhD and years of research published too. 2500 applicants for just 80 positions at medical school all of whom have a clutch of A grades. 3000 applicants for jobs at Asda to work on the tills. The list is endless.

I don't really understand your point. If you are selling something people don't want to pay for then you have a problem.

Presumably the musician would pay the producer just as a shop owner would pay a printer for designing and printing a leaflet.

As for song writers who don't perform live, how is that different from a poet?

im selling something i should get paid for it. i worte the songs and recorded them. i ha\d too pay for strings, picks, leads, amps and everything else we need too record as well as studio time and time for rehearsals. if you a signed too a deal with a record company and they pump £100,000 in to you and you make and album and only make £10,000 more than the £100,00 then the band will only get the £10,000 as the record company have too recoup there money. and anyway most recording legaly belong too the record companies who in them selves are stealing from musicans with the crap rates of royalties some bands get. if its an artist who finance everything them selves i pay a bit more for there record as i feel they deserve it for the amount of work thats needed too do that.

im selling something i should get paid for it. i worte the songs and recorded them. i ha\d too pay for strings, picks, leads, amps and everything else we need too record as well as studio time and time for rehearsals. if you a signed too a deal with a record company and they pump £100,000 in to you and you make and album and only make £10,000 more than the £100,00 then the band will only get the £10,000 as the record company have too recoup there money. and anyway most recording legaly belong too the record companies who in them selves are stealing from musicans with the crap rates of royalties some bands get. if its an artist who finance everything them selves i pay a bit more for there record as i feel they deserve it for the amount of work thats needed too do that.

Unfortunately, music customers largely don't care about this anymore and that obviously creates a problem for anyone like yourself who wants to make money the traditional way. I'm not criticising you in any way. I have a huge amount of respect for anyone prepared to support themselves without the comfort of a regular salary but I just can't see how your method is sustainable. A relative of mine is trying to go down the very same route as you and I'm strongly advising him not to aim for a traditional music business model if he wants success.

The truth is that with music, there's far more supply than demand. That's on top of the fact that people have got used to getting top quality stuff for free. This is true in many industries - not just music and it presents massive challenges for those who want things to stay the same.

Good luck with your venture anyway.