Thompson

Maybe we can put to bed the argument that Thompson doesn't do anything. Again last night Shankland was served with balls he had no chance of winning. Our supply is shocking and Shankland at 20 did no more than a 37 year old thommo does when he plays. It's the supply and the manager that's the problem

He lost the ball in the Morton half. He didn't exactly set up a goal.

We've heard for months about how Thommo coming on late in games would help us close them out. His inability to do that lead to Morton's equaliser. We need to look to the future now and sadly that may mean that Thommo has to be pushed aside.

Certainly find it bizarre that Thompson losing the ball in the Morton half is being blamed for the goal. Never mind the bad defending from Reid that allowed the shot, nor the poor goal keeping from Langfield that allowed the rebound. Blame the striker....?

We were losing the ball in their half all night. I don't think the much pleaded for strike force held the ball up once between them.

Second half in particular was a case of launch it to Shankland/Gallagher, one of them loses it, Morton retain possession. Repeat ad nauseum.

Maybe we can put to bed the argument that Thompson doesn't do anything. Again last night Shankland was served with balls he had no chance of winning. Our supply is shocking and Shankland at 20 did no more than a 37 year old thommo does when he plays. It's the supply and the manager that's the problem

Shankland got a couple of shots off. Thommo, sadly, rarely even does that.

There was about 45 seconds left of the 90 minutes left when got the ball in a promising position of the left with a few Saints players nearby. All he had to do was control the ball and either pass to one of our team or head for the corner flag and run down the clock in Morton's half. The way he failed to control the ball was embarrassing as was his lack of any kind of challenge having lost the ball under no pressure.

Don't get the Thommo bashing from our support. The guy is a bona-fide legend but is now approaching the end of his career and he has played for managers who punt long balls towards where, if he holds it up, he has usually got little or no support. Must be soul destroying for him and I get the impression he has only stayed with us because he loves the club.

Our midfield is so detached from our forward line it's a joke - it's been like that since Grandpa Tommy was in charge and no one has identified it as a problem and looked to address it. That's why we are so bloody shite!!!

A decent manager could still get 10 goals at this level out of Thommo but unfortunately his Saints game is going to fade out under the hopeless direction of Murray.

So bloody frustrated by St Mirren FC right now.

It's painfully obvious that it's the way we play that is to blame for the lack of goals from the strikers. I can't believe the BOD are making the same mistakes all over again and waiting till it's too late, get a new manager in now and that would give him 6 weeks to assess what needs to be done in the transfer window.

Edited by proudtobeabuddy

If we put crosses in from wide areas Thompson will get on the end of them

The point we punt the ball back to front to one forward,sometimes 2 if we are feeling brave is the biggest problem in the team

Brewster played until he was 40 in a higher league where are currently playing and Thompson is twice the player he ever was

Why didn't someone take a card and foul the runners. It was shit from reid and Langfield but way before them it should have been stopped

Don't think you can overly criticise Reid. Probably knackered after his second (almost) 90 minutes at this level in many months and spending an entire half of relentless defending.

My question is are there axes to grind here or are all of Thommo's detractors just clutching at straws?

The post above re: standing in the middle and waiting for crosses is exactly what I would ask him to do. He tries in my opinion far too hard to get involved in the game, often found out on the wing rather than being our main threat through the centre. I appreciate that I didn't follow his career terribly well prior to arrival at Saints, but whilst he may be a far better all round player than the likes of Mark Yardley, I would be asking him to do exactly what the big man did for us so effectively. Accept that the days of breezing past players almost half his age are gone and use the guile and experience of the past 20 years to make the opposition penalty box his domain.

The guy is a class act and in his day head and shoulders above the vast majority of players we have had at our club over the past 25 years. Enjoy it whilst he is still playing, but surely the manager/coaches need to tell him to do the bare minimum out with their box and concentrate on his strength and prowess in their box, and make the team play to those strengths...

Jim Goodwin being missing in the middle against Morton was the biggest factor for me in terms of the second half slide. He is the only player who drives the team forward by his presence alone. For all the detractors I happened to thing that our midfield in the first half did a reasonably good job but in the second, Goodwin in the middle would have made a massive difference.

Edited by Bart Simpson

Don't get the Thommo bashing from our support. The guy is a bona-fide legend but is now approaching the end of his career and he has played for managers who punt long balls towards where, if he holds it up, he has usually got little or no support. Must be soul destroying for him and I get the impression he has only stayed with us because he loves the club.

Our midfield is so detached from our forward line it's a joke - it's been like that since Grandpa Tommy was in charge and no one has identified it as a problem and looked to address it. That's why we are so bloody shite!!!

A decent manager could still get 10 goals at this level out of Thommo but unfortunately his Saints game is going to fade out under the hopeless direction of Murray.

So bloody frustrated by St Mirren FC right now.

you don't need to be bashing him to believe he is not what we needed this season. It was a mistake to indulge him for one more year, I'm afraid, especially after his training ground antics became public knowledge

My question is are there axes to grind here or are all of Thommo's detractors just clutching at straws?

The post above re: standing in the middle and waiting for crosses is exactly what I would ask him to do. He tries in my opinion far too hard to get involved in the game, often found out on the wing rather than being our main threat through the centre. I appreciate that I didn't follow his career terribly well prior to arrival at Saints, but whilst he may be a far better all round player than the likes of Mark Yardley, I would be asking him to do exactly what the big man did for us so effectively. Accept that the days of breezing past players almost half his age are gone and use the guile and experience of the past 20 years to make the opposition penalty box his domain.

The guy is a class act and in his day head and shoulders above the vast majority of players we have had at our club over the past 25 years. Enjoy it whilst he is still playing, but surely the manager/coaches need to tell him to do the bare minimum out with their box and concentrate on his strength and prowess in their box, and make the team play to those strengths...

Jim Goodwin being missing in the middle against Morton was the biggest factor for me in terms of the second half slide. He is the only player who drives the team forward by his presence alone. For all the detractors I happened to thing that our midfield in the first half did a reasonably good job but in the second, Goodwin in the middle would have made a massive difference.

Here's hoping Goodwin still has that fire when he comes back.

you don't need to be bashing him to believe he is not what we needed this season. It was a mistake to indulge him for one more year, I'm afraid, especially after his training ground antics became public knowledge

I hope Goody does have the same passion to prove Murray wrong. In fairness to Murray from the outside Goodwin's antics at times could put anyone off, but the difference he makes to our team when he has his game face on is phenomenal.

As for Thommo, I disagree with you. I think we should be using him as above with one of the two you mention as the foil playing off him. I don't think it is indulging him. He is in effect a modern day ambassador for our club and whilst the antics of footballers on the training ground can be debated, we and he just need to play to his strengths and not ask him to turn back time...

• 1 year later...

Steven Thompson to be inducted into St Mirren Hall of Fame

SMFC Webteam
 Saints News

St Mirren Football Club is delighted to announce that Steven Thompson will be inducted into the St Mirren Hall of Fame. 

The lifelong Buddie is the latest inductee to be announced, with Danny Lennon, Jim Goodwin, Alex Smith and Jimmy Bone all set to take their place at the club's 140th Anniversary dinner next month.

However, due to commitments with the BBC, Steven is unable to attend the club's 140th Anniversary Dinner and will instead be inducted at the club's end of season dinner in 2018. 

Steven joined his boyhood heroes in 2011 after leaving English club Burnley and stayed with the Saints until he retired in 2016, scoring 54 goals in 180 appearances for the black and white. 

Perhaps his most famous moment at St Mirren came in 2013 when he scored the second goal in our 3-2 triumph over Hearts in the League Cup final as the Buddies lifted major silverware for the first time since 1987.

Steven told stmirren.com: "To finish my career at St Mirren would have been enough, but to be involved in a moment that would be as historic and memorable as the Cup Final will be with me forever."

Commercial Manager, Campbell Kennedy said: "Nobody can forget the contributions that Steven made during his time at the club. With Danny Lennon and Jim Goodwin being inducted also it made sense for Steven to join them. Whilst it's unfortunate he can't be with us at the 140th Anniversary Dinner, we are delighted that he will be inducted at the end of the season dinner." 

Certainly find it bizarre that Thompson losing the ball in the Morton half is being blamed for the goal. Never mind the bad defending from Reid that allowed the shot, nor the poor goal keeping from Langfield that allowed the rebound. Blame the striker....?
We were losing the ball in their half all night. I don't think the much pleaded for strike force held the ball up once between them.
Second half in particular was a case of launch it to Shankland/Gallagher, one of them loses it, Morton retain possession. Repeat ad nauseum.

Why didn't someone take a card and foul the runners. It was shit from reid and Langfield but way before them it should have been stopped

I must be doing well in blanking out the bad times.....who was Reid?