The Boxing Thread

shull

On 8/17/2022 at 6:36 AM, faraway saint said:

Joshua climbs back into the ring this Saturday with another rematch after getting pumped last time.

Getting a bit fed up with these rematches, shows a lack of quality.

Live on Sky Box Office at the eye watering price of £26.95. :shockaroony

Alternatively, almost free on ma telly, if I can't find anything else to watch. :wink:

Joshua's opponent,  the Ukrainian Usyk, will have the neutral support, in tonight's big rematch.

Due to kick off closer to 11, not sure I'll see it, not overly interested. 

56 minutes ago, elvis said:

I would think so I'm nearly 67.

George Foreman is 6 years older than you Elvis. I’m sure he could still knock you out in under 30seconds. 😂 🥊  

I actually enjoyed last nights fight given I’d not expected much. 

3 hours ago, stlucifer said:

I don't understand the fascination for watching two grown adults punching lumps out of one another. For me, it's violence. Not sport.

I can appreciate that viewpoint.

It is brutal, but you could say that about many martial arts.

But these athletes know the risks.
One of my pals was an excellent amateur boxer. I supported him during his fights. 

My kids were trained in Taekwondo from a very early age to teach them discipline and skills to assist them with self defence.  

These sports are recognised by the Olympic organisation. 

Rugby and football can involve serious injury and can be life changing. Spinal injuries plus concussion. 

I’m sure Elephant polo and equestrian competition carry a degree of risk. 

Just like comedy, we all enjoy or not different acts.

Boxing is a very technical discipline. It’s physically challenging and ultimately brutal. 

The All Blacks Rugby Union team physically intimidate and brutally take out opponents. It’s a cleaner game now than the 70s due to rule changes but it’s still an extremely demanding sport that carries massive risks to all players.

1 hour ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

I can appreciate that viewpoint.

It is brutal, but you could say that about many martial arts.

But these athletes know the risks.
One of my pals was an excellent amateur boxer. I supported him during his fights. 

My kids were trained in Taekwondo from a very early age to teach them discipline and skills to assist them with self defence.  

These sports are recognised by the Olympic organisation. 

Rugby and football can involve serious injury and can be life changing. Spinal injuries plus concussion. 

I’m sure Elephant polo and equestrian competition carry a degree of risk. 

Just like comedy, we all enjoy or not different acts.

Boxing is a very technical discipline. It’s physically challenging and ultimately brutal. 

The All Blacks Rugby Union team physically intimidate and brutally take out opponents. It’s a cleaner game now than the 70s due to rule changes but it’s still an extremely demanding sport that carries massive risks to all players.

Most martial arts are about defence which I would not tend to watch for the reason I find it boring as a spectator sport anyway. Pugilism was, I believe initially the same but now most fights are, by all accounts, just that. Fights. At least the ones I have seen part of. Especially at the heavier weights. I can understand the concept of teaching someone to defend themself and even using boxing as a source of channeling pent up energy and encouraging discipline but I don't see the thrill in watching it. Too many people want to watch individuals cause injury to each other for their, what I can only assume is, morbid pleasure. Sorry. I don't get it. Would they sit and watch people fighting in the streets with such fervour

Though rugby  and football are contact sports it's not only about contact. I much prefer rugby union as it's more about the movement than the gaining yards by trying to thump through an opponent. Football is self explanitory. It's about the use of the football and the movement of the players creating space to collect it. Any real contact is either a biproduct or, if severe, frowned upon by the rules of the game.

• 1 year later...

The next big extravaganza in Saudi Arabia is about to start with Fury fighting some guy who is known for his MMA skills.

It's becoming more of a circus, driven by money, with every ludicrous "boxing" match.

Boxing can be a beautiful sport and has seen some talented people over the years, this, I'm afraid, devalues the whole sport. 

50 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

The next big extravaganza in Saudi Arabia is about to start with Fury fighting some guy who is known for his MMA skills.

It's becoming more of a circus, driven by money, with every ludicrous "boxing" match.

Boxing can be a beautiful sport and has seen some talented people over the years, this, I'm afraid, devalues the whole sport. 

Are they waiting for the clocks to go back before they start the “main event”?

Or waiting for sunrise in Saudi?

• 1 month later...

Tuned in tonight to watch AJ fighting in Saudi again.

The guy he was fighting had a decent record but AJ controlled the fight from the first bell.

His opponent didn't come out for round 6, probably for the best.

No sign of corruption, two big guys throwing punches unlike the last big extravaganza in the Kingdom. 

• 2 months later...
On 12/24/2023 at 12:02 AM, faraway saint said:

Tuned in tonight to watch AJ fighting in Saudi again.

The guy he was fighting had a decent record but AJ controlled the fight from the first bell.

His opponent didn't come out for round 6, probably for the best.

No sign of corruption, two big guys throwing punches unlike the last big extravaganza in the Kingdom. 

AJ back in action in a few minutes, tough opposition in Ngannou, a big puncher who can do some damage.

I think AJ has turned the corner after getting beat by the wee fat guy twice, seemed to jolt him out of "celebrity" mode. 

Should be a decent fight. :boxing

11 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

AJ back in action in a few minutes, tough opposition in Ngannou, a big puncher who can do some damage.

I think AJ has turned the corner after getting beat by the wee fat guy twice, seemed to jolt him out of "celebrity" mode. 

Should be a decent fight. :boxing

Ooooft,, a straight "right" from AJ knocks Ngannou on his arse in the 1st

Gets back up but a worry for NgAnnou. 

Edited by faraway saint

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Ooooft,, a straight "right" from AJ knocks Ngannou on his arse in the 1st

Gets back up but a worry for NgAnnou. 

OMG, Ngannou on his arse twice, and didn't get up after the 2nd, devastating performance from AJ. :boxing

Impressive. :happyclapper