Billy Mehmet

billymehmet1

It would be interesting to know how many assists he had. I can think of one stand-out against the dead club. Another that immediately springs to mind is his set-up play for Dorman against Falkirk in that fantastic match in Grangemouth (he scored the other, of course). I've no doubt that there are many, many others.

It would be interesting to know how many assists he had. I can think of one stand-out against the dead club. Another that immediately springs to mind is his set-up play for Dorman against Falkirk in that fantastic match in Grangemouth (he scored the other, of course). I've no doubt that there are many, many others.

His assist stats are on his wiki page. One of his great strengths was pulling Andy dorman into the game. I've no doubt Stevie Mallan could benefit similarly.

How many goals have Thompson, Shankland, Gallagher, McMullan and the like scored this season. In our current position we could ill afford to ignore a player like Billy Mehmet. He would do a right good job for us in our desperate state, and he could teach the squad what's it's like to play for that badge on the jersey.

... the way Thommo used to!

... the way Thommo used to!

For me they are (were) similar players. Thomson better in his finishing but Mehmet was surprisingly a very good link up player. Both gave 100 %. Not sure how Billy's fitness is now though and would be worried we would be replacing lack of fitness/pace with likewise. Love Mehmet and his goals against Motherwell (3-2) and in the League cup semi against Hearts (again at Motherwell) alone make him a saints legend.

For me they are (were) similar players. Thomson better in his finishing but Mehmet was surprisingly a very good link up player. Both gave 100 %. Not sure how Billy's fitness is now though and would be worried we would be replacing lack of fitness/pace with likewise. Love Mehmet and his goals against Motherwell (3-2) and in the League cup semi against Hearts (again at Motherwell) alone make him a saints legend.

Apart from the fact that Thommo played over 500 games in the SPL, the EPL and Championship and has 16 caps to his name.

Mehmet had a total return of about 54 goals in 150 or so games. Certainly not a strike rate that we'd turn our nose up at.

Against what opposition? I gave the stats for like v like.

I am not saying I didn't enjoy Mehmet's strike v Hearts, or his double v 'Well, (don't be fooled by only his second strike of his first full season being the one that saw us promoted because it didn't, Saintees game had finished and we were already champions by the time the late strike went in). He is not the answer to our prayers. We need someone who knows where the goals are, most of the time.

I remember being in the Northbank , season 2006-07 and Billy scored . The crowd in the NB began to sing "Oh my God I can't believe it Billy Mehmet scored a goal !" my youngster turned and said to me why are they singing "Old Macdonald can't believe it " zorro.gif That was back in the days when we still had Sutton but once Sutton left I thought Billy became a better player. .

I can't even imagine our crowd singing a song like that now as nobody seems to score anymore. .

Probably my favourite player during the last few years of Gus' time in charge. When he had the finger out he was so exciting to watch. Unfortunately, he'd go missing for months of the season which is why he was with us and why he failed down south.

Mehmet was crap in the SPL but had a cracking record against lower league clubs in the cups so maybe we should sign him!

Cup goals against lower league clubs like eh lets see Celtic & Hearts.

Against what opposition? I gave the stats for like v like.

I am not saying I didn't enjoy Mehmet's strike v Hearts, or his double v 'Well, (don't be fooled by only his second strike of his first full season being the one that saw us promoted because it didn't, Saintees game had finished and we were already champions by the time the late strike went in). He is not the answer to our prayers. We need someone who knows where the goals are, most of the time.

Against opposition that on average, are better than we face every week nowadays.

I remember being in the Northbank , season 2006-07 and Billy scored . The crowd in the NB began to sing "Oh my God I can't believe it Billy Mehmet scored a goal !" my youngster turned and said to me why are they singing "Old Macdonald can't believe it " zorro.gif That was back in the days when we still had Sutton but once Sutton left I thought Billy became a better player. .

I can't even imagine our crowd singing a song like that now as nobody seems to score anymore. .

Bit off topic, but I'm sure someone was on here asking why we sing "We'll go wherever St Mirren go, we are the North Bank kangaroo!" once.

Best misheard lyric ever.

Mehmet was a fantastic worker for the team. One of the best forwards I have seen in the stripes for holding a ball up especially when he was a lone striker which was most of the time. The guy himself always said he was not an out and out striker but preferred to play just behind one to help create goals. Unfortunately that never happened under Gus. Aberdeen and Hearts if I remember correctly were interested in signing him but he went to Turkey instead for £10k a week (although he did not get paid and left). Mehmet isn't a world beater but compared to what we currently have would be a great acquisition if fit.

Against opposition that on average, are better than we face every week nowadays.

Scottish cup. 2 v Alloa. 1 v Dumbarton. 1 v Dundee Utd and Celtic....Woopee. Wait a minute. Penalties. And a real one v Motherwell.

League cup. A hatrick v Dumbarton. To put it in perspective...We scored SEVEN. 5 against the mighty East Stirlingshire. And the never to be forgotten superb strike v Hearts.

Yep. On average. All better than we are facing now.

Apart from the fact that Thommo played over 500 games in the SPL, the EPL and Championship and has 16 caps to his name.

Wisnae commenting on their ability more abt their style of play. Agree Thomson certainly played at a higher level and for me was the more complete striker. However he came to us at the end of his career. Mehmet came to us when he was still young and nobody thought after his 1st season with us that he would be any use. He developed into one of our better players over the last 20 yrs though.

Scottish cup. 2 v Alloa. 1 v Dumbarton. 1 v Dundee Utd and Celtic....Woopee. Wait a minute. Penalties. And a real one v Motherwell.

League cup. A hatrick v Dumbarton. To put it in perspective...We scored SEVEN. 5 against the mighty East Stirlingshire. And the never to be forgotten superb strike v Hearts.

Yep. On average. All better than we are facing now.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. Although they were 2nd division at the time, teams like Dumbarton and Alloa are exactly the sort of clubs we could do with someone netting against considering we're in serious danger of being in a proper relegation scrap with them.

Mehmet was 21 when he joined us and was exceptionally raw but certainly had potential. The fact that he started about 18 games in his first two seasons is testament to how raw he was. By the time he'd left us at 25 he was a far more complete player who had added goals to hos work-rate. Now, at 31 he's of an age where he can still contribute over the next season and a half, maybe another year beyond that as well.

I get that some folk just dislike the guy no matter what but he'd undoubtedly be an asset to us at this moment.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. Although they were 2nd division at the time, teams like Dumbarton and Alloa are exactly the sort of clubs we could do with someone netting against considering we're in serious danger of being in a proper relegation scrap with them.

Mehmet was 21 when he joined us and was exceptionally raw but certainly had potential. The fact that he started about 18 games in his first two seasons is testament to how raw he was. By the time he'd left us at 25 he was a far more complete player who had added goals to hos work-rate. Now, at 31 he's of an age where he can still contribute over the next season and a half, maybe another year beyond that as well.

I get that some folk just dislike the guy no matter what but he'd undoubtedly be an asset to us at this moment.

Not being sarcastic at all. We had a better team around Mehmet at that time and his tally was far below par. With the sh!te we have around him now he'd flounder.

I didn't dislike Billy. In fact I thought he worked his feckin' socks off for us.

But, as is the case that hard work only beats skill when skill doesn't work hard, skill, relatively speaking, will kick hard works arse when it applies itself.

Not being sarcastic at all. We had a better team around Mehmet at that time and his tally was far below par. With the sh!te we have around him now he'd flounder.

I didn't dislike Billy. In fact I thought he worked his feckin' socks off for us.

But, as is the case that hard work only beats skill when skill doesn't work hard, skill, relatively speaking, will kick hard works arse when it applies itself.

I think this is the point some folk are meaning...... The skill bit has been missing in spades this season so has not been around to kick hard works arse (which has largely been missing also) but a couple of guys with Billy's work ethic will do as a start. It would for me.