Murray Resigns - Confirmed

TopCat

Glad I did not attend today's match, but even more surprised Murray actually resigned. He has gone up in my estimation for doing the right thing. I do believe there are issues at the club and players have to take some of the responsibility for the sheer abject quality of our play this season, but ultimately good coaching and management are the key at any club. Just look around the UK at the question marks over Van Gaal, Deila et al. The part time clubs that are beating us week in week out all have the same thing in common- a better attitude amongst players coupled with superior coaching and management. Big call the next appointment.

Chick Young said on the radio Miller does not want the permanent job- perhaps not a bad thing, but we need experienced and respected coach and manager in here pronto to shake up this half decent squad and start delivering on the pitch.

I genuinely feel for the guy. He was subjected to a volley of vicious bile this afternoon as he trudged off the pitch looking like a broken man, and it wasn't nice to witness.

The guy is young, has a family, and a living to make. He didn't set out to f**k this up, it just didn't work out.

Thanks for doing your best, Ian. It wasn't good enough, but I wish you no ill, and hope you can move on from this.

Your right it is not nice. I can remember sitting in the main stand at love st watching and listening to John Coughlin getting it while we were 4 down to ICT prior to him going and felt sad for him. Murray wont be short of a bob or few so the small payment that we would have paid him probably wont make much different to his life unlike the guys in my work who will get around 30K for 40 years of service after the new year. Abuse is not right or nice but with some jobs it will happen and football is 1 of those jobs.

It wasn't helped by the fact that he had to walk the breadth of the pitch on account of their dug outs being across from the single stand.

What happened? Were folk shouting the usual "Murray must go" and "Murray, get tae f**k" stuff or was it worse than that?

Some quotes from Murray and Gilmour here: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/stmirren/6800226/Ian-Murray-quits-as-St-Mirren-boss.html?CMP=spklr-_-Editorial-_-TWITTER-_-scotsunsport-_-20151212-_-SunScotSport-_-302985852-_-Imageandlink

Murray saying he appreciates the squad he was given - only three of today's starting line-up were at the club when he arrived.

What ? Like shell out their hard earned cash week after week while watching some of the worst football this club has served up in decades ???

I`m surprised it took so long for the fans to vent their anger at games .

I'm all for venting your anger, but, and maybe I'm wrong, Drew seemed to suggest that some of the "venting of anger" was foaming at the mouth OTT abuse from so called adults.

What happened? Were folk shouting the usual "Murray must go" and "Murray, get tae f**k" stuff or was it worse than that?

Some quotes from Murray and Gilmour here: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/stmirren/6800226/Ian-Murray-quits-as-St-Mirren-boss.html?CMP=spklr-_-Editorial-_-TWITTER-_-scotsunsport-_-20151212-_-SunScotSport-_-302985852-_-Imageandlink

It was vindictive abuse, Stu, directed straight at the guy as he walked across the pitch looking completely haunted. We're talking middle-aged men among those hurling this at the guy. Mob mentality stuff, that was sickening to see.

ETA - for example, some guy walking down the steps shouted "get to f**k, ya useless c**t!". Totally unnecessary.

Edited by Drew

Unless
Good on him.

If I was him I would have asked for a mutual consent. He's walked without a pay off.

Credit where it's due.

Has that been announced

I'd imagine the details are still to be agreed

Resign means he resigned...?

I was expecting a mutual consent agreement to be announced on Monday.

The reason it hasn't is Murray has walked away. There's nothing 'to be agreed'.

ame="beyond our ken" post="1329561" timestamp="1449946819"]Unless

Resign means he resigned...?

I was expecting a mutual consent agreement to be announced on Monday.

The reason it hasn't is Murray has walked away. There's nothing 'to be agreed'.

Correct.

I understand that he would have been leaving in any event, so that makes it all the more to his credit that he resigned.

This bit from The Sun article is odd.

He had originally insisted he was ready to keep fighting for his job with the Paisley outfit.

But after a quick conversation with Saints chairman Stewart Gilmour in the dressing room, Murray decided enough was enough.
Putting aside the "Well, it's The Sun" argument, why would he seemingly change his mind? Was he told that if he resigned now he'd still get some of his pay off and it wouldn't look as bad to the outside world? Or does the mythical performance clause exist after all and he'd been told it would be invoked in the near future so he might as well do one?
EDIT: I suppose the "originally insisted" bit could refer to comments earlier in the week. Given the time frame I'd be surprised if he came out, did his press stuff then went back to the dressing room, had a chat and then announced his resignation. I was waiting to hear his radio on St Mirren Radio and he still hadn't emerged from the dressing room by the time they finished at 5.10pm.
I hope the board listen to the bit about needing something new and don't promote from within.
Edited by Stu

I don't think Murray was an up and coming manager at all. There was nothing in his track record to suggest he would be a success at St Mirren and I'd like to say I was surprised when St Mirren appointed him, even if I really wasn't. There is something seriously wrong at the heart of the club though and I've got to presume the club suit is Teflon coated. In their time at the club the board of directors have seen off no fewer than 8 managers. Not one of them has gone upwards in the game no matter whether they achieved success or were seen as abject failures.

That is actually a good comment. Out of the last 12 managers of St Mirren none has left us and done better 1eye.gif You are actually talking about Alex Smith and Alex Miller proving themselves after they left us and that was more than a quarter of a century ago 1eye.gif

This bit from The Sun article is odd.

Putting aside the "Well, it's The Sun" argument, why would he seemingly change his mind? Was he told that if he resigned now he'd still get some of his pay off and it wouldn't look as bad to the outside world? Or does the mythical performance clause exist after all and he'd been told it would be invoked in the near future so he might as well do one?

If I had taken that walk as he left the pitch, I reckon I might decide enough is enough. I don't want to over-egg it, but he is only human, and that experience might just have been the tipping point. In saying that, I was talking to a couple of guys who had chatted with SG before the match, and he had seemingly told them it was last chance saloon.

Anyway, he has gone now, which is what the vast majority of us had been looking for. Wean debate the circumstances all we like, but I am now more concerned as to what happens next.

It was vindictive abuse, Stu, directed straight at the guy as he walked across the pitch looking completely haunted. We're talking middle-aged men among those hurling this at the guy. Mob mentality stuff, that was sickening to see.

ETA - for example, some guy walking down the steps shouted "get to f**k, ya useless c**t!". Totally unnecessary.

He quite clearly was useless, utterly lost and without any idea how to change anything. Typical former OF player who never leaned the game. Murray knows more than us though, surely he realises the environment he's in and the fact it's such a home for the more industrial language.

Thing is Drew, it was shouted as opposed to that fan waking up to him or threatening him. Verbal handbags.

I didn't hear anything untoward, but then I was too busy chanting "Murray, Murray get to f**k" and booing.

He quite clearly was useless, utterly lost and without any idea how to change anything. Typical former OF player who never leaned the game. Murray knows more than us though, surely he realises the environment he's in and the fact it's such a home for the more industrial language.

Thing is Drew, it was shouted as opposed to that fan waking up to him or threatening him. Verbal handbags.

I didn't hear anything untoward, but then I was too busy chanting "Murray, Murray get to f**k" and booing.

Its easy to hurl abuse from the stand. I wouldn't expect the vast majority of those involved to do it to his face if they had the opportunity. Its embarrassing playground stuff, Kenny.

The guy is entitled to some respect, yes. He is still an individual. .

The question now is , who will be next for what is becoming, the poisoned challis . .

Yeah , like the respect he showed the fan base two weeks ago with his patronising comments ?

The man has been the architect of his own downfall.

He took on a job that was way above his ability level & tried to deflect blame when it was apparent to everyone he didnt have a clue.

Its easy to hurl abuse from the stand. I wouldn't expect the vast majority of those involved to do it to his face if they had the opportunity. Its embarrassing playground stuff, Kenny.

I understand your defence of the man & the condemnation of the abuse Drew but when someone stands in front of a TV camera & basically states he knows best it is bound to provoke a reaction.

I wasn`t there today so i cant comment on the level of abuse but if you hold yourself up to be better than others & clearly .... ARE NOT , you are setting yourself up for a massive backlash .